Advice/Chances for a 1st Time Applicant?

Started by OMW2DPT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

OMW2DPT

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Major: Biology
Minor: Criminal Justice
(not related, I know)
Overall PTCAS GPA: 3.12
PTCAS Pre-Req GPA: 3.41

GRE: 155V, 155Q, 4.5W

Letters of Rec: 2 PTs + 1 Professor

Extra-Curric: After-school leader for underprivileged youth, Fraternity (Exec. Member), Hospital Volunteer in multiple (6) floors/departments (+ in PT), Product ambassador

Observation hours: 690+ Outpatient Ortho/Sports; 82 Inpatient Acute; 70 Outpatient Oncology

Applied: CSU Long Beach, Chapman University, Western University, Midwestern University - Glendale, U South Florida, NOVA Southeastern - Ft. Lauderdale, Rocky Mountain University, Touro Nevada, UNLV


Interviews: N/A

Acceptances: N/A

Rejects: N/A



Feeling nervous because of my awful overall GPA. Anybody care to weigh in on how my stats compare or on any programs that I might be more competitive in applying for? All comments are much appreciated!

Good luck everyone!
 
Last edited:
Your GPA isn't that bad! Especially your pre-req GPA. Have you done well with grades in the last 60 credit hours? If so, I would look at schools that only look at the last 60 credit hours. Your GRE is pretty good so I would also do a lot of research and try to find schools that put more of an emphasis on GRE compared to GPA.
 
I applied to Chapman, Western, and CSULB during the last cycle and I was not admitted to any of them. I was waitlisted at Chapman, got an interview with Western, and was rejected from CSULB.

At the time these were my stats:
University: California State University
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.83
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7-3.8 depending on the school
GRE First time: 147Q, 150V, 3.5AW
GRE Second time: 151Q, 153V, 5.0AW
Hours: 200 outpatient hours and 100 pediatric hours

I hope this helps and good luck. 🙂
 
Major: Biology
Minor: Criminal Justice
(not related, I know)
Overall PTCAS GPA: 3.12
PTCAS Pre-Req GPA: 3.41

GRE: 155V, 155Q, 4.5W

Letters of Rec: 2 PTs + 1 Professor

Extra-Curric: After-school leader for underprivileged youth, Fraternity (Exec. Member), Hospital Volunteer in multiple (6) floors/departments (+ in PT), Product ambassador

Observation hours: 690+ Outpatient Ortho/Sports; 82 Inpatient Acute; 70 Outpatient Oncology

Applied: CSU Long Beach, Chapman University, Western University, Midwestern University - Glendale, U South Florida, NOVA Southeastern - Ft. Lauderdale, Rocky Mountain University, Touro Nevada, UNLV


Interviews: N/A

Acceptances: N/A

Rejects: N/A



Feeling nervous because of my awful overall GPA. Anybody care to weigh in on how my stats compare or on any programs that I might be more competitive in applying for? All comments are much appreciated!

Good luck everyone!


Your GPA stats are really close to mine! I'm super nervous too... but have hope, we at least meet the 3.0 minimum! I wouldn't say it's an 'awful' GPA.

Your GRE looks really good, as do your volunteer hours! How long did you volunteer to add those up?

Overall I'd say your stats look good, but we all know how competitive it is to get into DPT programs now! Some of the schools you're applying to are especially competitive - CSU Long Beach and UNLV specifically that I know of. However you have a lot of schools that I considered "safety schools" on my list but wasn't able to apply to due to my science GPA not being a 3.0. So I think you have a very good chance with those - specifically Nova and Touro. In my opinion I think you'll get into at least one of the schools you listed, if not more. I feel like your GRE scores, volunteer experience, and extra-currics will help balance out your GPA. Good luck 🙂