advice-- cognitive tasks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For my senior thesis, I need some cognitive tasks to give to people with schizophrenia...I'm going to see if stereotype threat conditions affect their performance on these tasks...but I don't know what tests to use. I originally thought a few performance subtests of the WAIS, but most of my subjects would have already taken the WAIS in another study. The thing is, I don't have a specific type of cognition I'm trying to measure...so I could use almost anything. I'm looking for something education-fair...something that looks pretty hard or unusual but is actually valid for a wide range of IQs, so I don't get a floor effect. Ravens progressive matrices would be perfect but 50 testing kits cost like $750.

My advisor said the Stroop color-word test might be good...but I can't seem to find an official version of the damn thing, with scoring data. There are loads of free demonstrations but nothing official. Anyone know about that?

And if you have any ideas about some measures of cognition I could use that sound appropriate for this study, I could actually find, and are not outrageously expensive, I'd be forever indebted to you.

Members don't see this ad.

What's your hypothesis? Why or in what way are you expecting stereotype threat to affect cognition in people with schizophrenia?

I don't think it makes much sense to measure some random aspect of cognition unless there's a hypothesis driving the question.

Here's the brief write-up of my idea I gave my advisor before starting--

Research Question: Does stereotype threat affect cognition in people with schizophrenia?

Stereotype threat is the fear that one's behavior will confirm an existing stereotype of a group with which one identifies. Research has shown that this can impair performance, particularly on cognitive tasks. Aronson and Steele are the most notable researchers in this area, and they have discovered that groups who are often seen as being poor academic performers in certain areas, e.g. women in mathematics, will actually perform worse on a difficult math test when gender is emphasized. One hypothesis is that the mention of gender creates anxiety, which the subjects must then suppress throughout the test. Thought suppression drains a considerable amount of working memory, leaving less mental resources with which to complete the task. Additionally, the stereotype threat condition may produce physical symptoms of anxiety that interfere with concentration.

In society, schizophrenia is often associated with instability, disorganization, volatility, and even violence. On a clinical level, we often find that people with schizophrenia have cognitive impairments, particularly in the domains of working memory and attention, which along with positive and negative symptoms, often interfere with academic and vocational achievement. In short, people with schizophrenia are often seen as less capable than people without the disorder. I would like to see to what degree these perceptions of schizophrenia affect people with the disorder. There is no doubt that the disorder itself produces impairment on cognitive tasks, but I want to know if this is exacerbated by a stereotype threat condition similar to that designed by Aronson and Steele. As far as I know, no one has previously measured the effect of stereotype threat on cognition in people with schizophrenia.

Basic study design: In the first group, the control group, the participants would be simply be told ‘this is a test of cognitive ability,' and instructed to complete the task. The second group would be told, ‘this is a test of cognitive ability, comparing the scores of
people with schizophrenia to people who do not have the disorder.' In the
third group, the participants would be told, ‘This is a test of cognitive
ability, comparing the scores of people with schizophrenia to the normal
population. People with schizophrenia tend not to perform as well on this
task, so don't worry if some of the questions are too hard for you. Just
answer them to the best of your ability.' My hypothesis
is that group one will have the best scores and group three will have the worst. I'm including group two because I believe that simply reminding people of their condition will produce lower scores (because stereotype threat research has shown that simply reminding people, e.g. African Americans, of their ethnicity prior to a test is enough to lower scores, even if they are not told that African Americans tend to perform poorly on the task). I also have read that telling a certain group that they perform poorly compared to another group produces lower test scores. I am curious to see how much the scores of people in the third condition, I guess you could call it the ‘stigma' condition, differ from the scores of people in the neutral reminder condition. And of course how much they differ from the control group.

... so that's my basic hypothesis, but most stereo threat studies have involved mathematical performance and I don't want to do that because of differing levels of education in my subjects. Basically I just need several challenging tasks for them to do so I can see if performance actually differs between groups. I would like at least one measure that strongly relies on working memory (possibly a verbal memory test), and one that does not. This would help me establish whether reduced performance (if there is any) is caused by a reduction in WM capacity (presumably caused by anxiety--I'm hoping to measure anxiety using the State-Trait but I haven't figured out if/how I'll worth that in yet) or if tests that don't require a lot of WM (such as the stroop task) also have significant variance between groups.

Mind you I've never done research before and I came up with this study by looking through the glossary of my cognitive psych textbook at the various terms and saying 'is there any way this theory could be relevent to schizophrenia? I need a thesis by Tuesday.' haha so if it seems a little extemporaneous, that's why. But I'm actually starting to think it's intrinsically worthwhile.

EDIT: Also is it probably ok to talk about my thesis in this much detail? I just rarely see people talking about their research projects in detail so I wanted to make sure there's no tacit rule against it or something. It's not like my idea is revolutionary and going to elicit theft, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I think your study sounds pretty interesting, but you might want to use a cognitive task that people with schizophrenia are generally impaired in completing. This will help minimize error variance because more of the differences between participants will be a result of the experimental manipulation rather than pre-morbid differences in ability. If I remember correctly, there is a significant body of literature documenting impairment in the planning aspects of executive functioning so you could use the Tower of London test. I also think semantic fluency is impaired. Animal naming is an easy test of semantic fluency that is relatively insensitive to the effects of inadequate schooling and does not require you to purchase a kit. Frankly, unless you are testing your participants almost immediately after they were given the WAIS, you could administer digit-symbol coding, letter-number sequencing, digit span, and symbol search without having to worry about a practice effect.

Thanks! I have been considering the issue that people with sz often have working memory/attention/executive deficits...as far as I know they tend to perform worse on most 'performance' tasks, which require all three to some degree. Since the groups are composed only of people with sz, and are being compared only to each other and not the normal population I think I avoid the issue of determining how much of the variance is caused by the disorder itself...the ANOVA statistic will determine how much variance there is within the groups compared to between the groups, correct? I just won't have the time/resources to aggregate groups matched for IQ so I'll have to hope I get a large enough sample size to offset individual differences.

And I think animal naming is a good idea...I want to include something in the verbal domain...my advisors suggested the proverbs portion of the WAIS but I really doubt performance on that would be affected by the stereo threat condition...I think verbal fluency is pretty easily affected by anxiety, which is what I'm looking for. Also not having to pay like $750 for it is a nice bonus. Again I know nothing about psychometrics so I'm kind of wallowing around randomly, lol.

Hmmm studies that I have seen with stereotype threat and mental illness have generally included shortened GRE-type math tests...
I don't know what studies you have looked at, but perhaps try: Steele, C.M., Aronson, J., and Quinn, D.M.