Advice - DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pearlywhites55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am looking for some advice on the DAT. At the beginning of the summer I had a plan to do the usual Chad's, destroyer, bootcamp etc for around 3 months. Unfortunately, one of my family members became very ill and as a result I spent much of my summer in and out of the hospital and helping out at home. Long story short I have had less than 3 weeks to study and my DAT is in one week (September 6th). I have worked through destroyer as much as I can and now I have transitioned onto bootcamp.

I have taken exams 1-3 so far and I am scoring around 18-22 on each section. However, I am doing very poorly in QR and RC - scoring 14-17 and I am really struggling.

At this point I was looking at taking this exam as more of a trial run and likely not even applying this year. If I score lower on these two sections (with the intent of rewriting it next summer) would these initial low scores have a negative impact on my application in the future?

Thanks so much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would not bother taking the actual DAT until you feel ready. It would be a waste of money as well as a waste of an attempt. Not only this, but a poor score can only hurt your application, even if you score well on the 2nd attempt.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't suggest taking the real test as a trial run! Spend more time if you need to prepare for the test and build up your confidence. This might mean pushing the test back, but that's better than doing poorly the first time and spending more money and energy preparing to take it a second time.

Use the bootcamp full length practice exams or even the 2009 DAT as trial runs instead!

Hi everyone!

I am looking for some advice on the DAT. At the beginning of the summer I had a plan to do the usual Chad's, destroyer, bootcamp etc for around 3 months. Unfortunately, one of my family members became very ill and as a result I spent much of my summer in and out of the hospital and helping out at home. Long story short I have had less than 3 weeks to study and my DAT is in one week (September 6th). I have worked through destroyer as much as I can and now I have transitioned onto bootcamp.

I have taken exams 1-3 so far and I am scoring around 18-22 on each section. However, I am doing very poorly in QR and RC - scoring 14-17 and I am really struggling.

At this point I was looking at taking this exam as more of a trial run and likely not even applying this year. If I score lower on these two sections (with the intent of rewriting it next summer) would these initial low scores have a negative impact on my application in the future?

Thanks so much! :)

Honestly it sounds like youre scoring okay on your practice tests. I was doing about the same/lower on my practice tests and ended up doing a lot better on the actual DAT (got a 21AA). I think the practice tests always score you lower.

What method are you doing for RC? I got a 25 on that section so I may be able to help you out with some advice.