Advice for 3rd year electives

Started by snarkie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

snarkie

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, our school has 6 weeks of electives! I have a 2 week block that I'm trying to figure out what to do with in October. I'm considering internal med or peds.

My options are either 1) do a 2 week clinical elective in ID or radiology or 2) a 2 week research elective where I can write a manuscript (already working on the project, data is all set to go). So I guess the question is... how important is a potential publication at this point?

Thanks!
 
If you think you're interested in radiology or ID or would want a LOR from someone in the field it would be a good time to start a relationship with them or if you've heard from other people that there is an attending that is an incredible teacher maybe, otherwise if I were you I'd do the research elective so that there's one less thing to worry about.