Advice for 4th year peds rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HowUdoin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I will be doing my elective peds rotations in a couple of months at UTSouthwestern and Baylor. I'm trying to decide if I should get Pediatric Recall or Baby Nelson for reading material. Any other recommendations? Any other advice on how to make a great impression at these sites? Thanks for your help.

:D

Members don't see this ad.

HowUdoin said:
Hi Guys,
I will be doing my elective peds rotations in a couple of months at UTSouthwestern and Baylor. I'm trying to decide if I should get Pediatric Recall or Baby Nelson for reading material. Any other recommendations? Any other advice on how to make a great impression at these sites? Thanks for your help.

:D

What electives are you doing? If they are subspecialties I don't think recall is detailed enough to be that helpful. I don't know what baby nelson's has, but you might be better of getting a general text on each subspecialty from the library. I found that textbooks weren't that helpful for the electives-I usually ended up going to online resources (webMD, uptodate) and primary literature. If you are doing ID have a good antiobiotic treatment guide, but remember that just because it says so in the book, doesn't mean it's done that way in their institution :).

As for making a good impression-it's the usual med student advice-always be on time and interested, pitch in when ever you can, offer to research topics, read about your patients. Never try to upstage another med student or resident (or fellow/attending-yes, I have seen it happen!). If you are a guy and the culture supports it, a pedi-friendly tie (cartoon characters, animals) doesn't hurt.

Good luck!