Advice for a bad test taker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tastebuds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a categorical internal medicine intern...and our program requires us to take Step 3 before our intern year is over. So target date for me is end of April. I am not a good test taker at all! I have started reading master the boards and started doing UW questions. I need another thorough book that I could read to supplement my reading material...as master the boards may be too skimpy. Also, another question book or question bank would also be helpful. I was thinking of supplementing with First Aid. Should I get premier notes, since I am not a good test taker? Any advice would really be helpful?? :scared:
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Step III isn't that much of a big deal. If you passed Step I and Step II, then you have enough test taking skills to do Step III. The single best thing that can prepare you for this exam is to be thoroughly familiar with the software that Step III uses. This means working the examples on the CD-ROM that you are sent when you register for the test. If you are a categorical internal medicine resident, then Step III is just about taking the test and getting a P.

Bottom line: Stop selling yourself "negatives" and do some solid review /prep especially the software that this test uses. If you are not familiar with the software, you put yourself more at a disadvantage than if you don't get though a bunch of on line questions. Step III is by far the easiest of the three steps.

Agree with the above - if you are smart enough to have passed step I and II then you will be ok with Step III. Do lots of practice questions and make sure you are VERY familiar with the software so you don't give away free points.