Advice for a fellow aspiring doctor please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miRNA143

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am hoping that someone can give me some good advice here.
I am applying to medical school this cycle for the 2012 admission.
My sGPA is around a 3.1, and cGPA is about a 3.2
I took my MCAT in March, but did poorly. I got a 24P (6VR, 8PS, 10BS)
(up from 16M which I took in 2009)
I know that taking the MCAT in August will lead to my application being submitted late in the cycle, but I think it is better to break a 30 and be more competitive.

I was thinking I could go back to my college and take some upper level bio classes, or even retake science classes that I did poorly on (O-chem 1, Bio-1) in the Fall and Spring? Do you think that is a good idea? If my number stats were higher, I would just take up a research job in the gap year.

I have volunteered at ERs for over 200 hours, done both clinical and molecular research for over 1 year each. I have a publication on its way, and solid LORs.

I know my numbers don't look good. but I've been extremely persistent and have overcame a lot of obstacles. I am not going to give up. Please offer some success stories or advice, thank you so much in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I am hoping that someone can give me some good advice here.
I am applying to medical school this cycle for the 2012 admission.
My sGPA is around a 3.1, and cGPA is about a 3.2
I took my MCAT in March, but did poorly. I got a 24P (6VR, 8PS, 10BS)
(up from 16M which I took in 2009)
I know that taking the MCAT in August will lead to my application being submitted late in the cycle, but I think it is better to break a 30 and be more competitive.

I was thinking I could go back to my college and take some upper level bio classes, or even retake science classes that I did poorly on (O-chem 1, Bio-1) in the Fall and Spring? Do you think that is a good idea? If my number stats were higher, I would just take up a research job in the gap year.

I have volunteered at ERs for over 200 hours, done both clinical and molecular research for over 1 year each. I have a publication on its way, and solid LORs.

I know my numbers don't look good. but I've been extremely persistent and have overcame a lot of obstacles. I am not going to give up. Please offer some success stories or advice, thank you so much in advance. :)

It seems like a lot of trouble to retake just a couple classes imho because they most likely won't affect your GPA, but I don't know what you got in those classes. Besides your scores, the rest of your app seems strong. Stay persistent OP, and good luck on the MCAt :luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop. Seriously. Do not apply wth MCATs of 19 and 24 and a gpa of 3.2. The likelihood that you would get admitted somewhere is less than 10% and you are at high risk for academic problems in medical school if you were admitted by some miracle.

You might have a shot if you retake the MCAT and get 27 or better and retake your med school pre-reqs, do very well, and shadow a DO. Then apply to osteopathic schools. Applying this year would be throwing money away.

At the risk of sounding like a huge jerk, I need to tell you that you should seriously consider not applying this cycle. Even if you got into the upper 30s with your MCAT, you would still have a hard time getting into medical school given your GPA and the fact that you will be applying late. Take a year off to study (a lot) for the MCAT and take some more classes to improve your GPA. Consider retaking classes that you've done poorly in, to take advantage of DO grade replacement. If you got into the 30s on the MCAT, an SMP in 2012-2013 would not be a terrible idea.

It's going to be a long road for you to get to medical school, due to the low MCAT scores and GPA issues, but it isn't totally impossible either.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will take everything in to consideration!

Thank you so much Perrotfish!
May I ask what your MCAT score was?
I will definitely study again and aim for a 32+ MCAT score, as well as fix my gpa problem as much as possible.