Advice for a high school college student

Started by Domn
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Domn

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I am currently a senior in high school and a sophomore in college due to a dual enrollment program Washington State does. So far my college GPA is resting at 3.37. I usually receive A's and B's in my classes, but during my first quarter I received a D+ in my Pre-Calculus 1 class which is why my college GPA is so low at the moment. I have a high school GPA of 3.57. I am a vice president for FCCLA, have lettered in track and cross country for three years each so far. I am apart of national honor society, and my adviser is asking me to register for national technical honor society. I have over one hundred hours of community service, mostly dealing with fundraising for medical research (relay for life) which I did as a part of my senior project, and working as a secretary type thing at my hospital's community health center. My community service also deals with mentoring an elementary school student which I did for half a year last year. I am also involved with a math club entitled mathletes. I am also planning on starting a Key Club. Outside of school I have two jobs, one as a math tutor at the community college I attend, and another at a hardware store. My college course work is as follows:

Global Issues: 3.9
English 101: 4.0
Pre-Cal 1: 1.5

US History 2: 3.0
Biology 222 (Majors Series: Cell/Molecular): 3.1
English 102: 4.0

Calculus 1 (Tested out of Pre-Calc 1 and Pre-Calc 2): 3.0
Acting 2: 3.8
Creative Writing 1: 4.0

I am currently taking: Philosophy and am averaging roughly a 3.5 GPA, Intro to Chemistry: 4.0 GPA, and Spanish: 2.0 (but am working on making that a 4.0 before the quarter ends.)

I am currently preparing to major in mathematics by completing the calculus series this year, and am thinking of staying at my community college for one more year in order to take/retake the biology series, the chemistry series, and maybe two organic chemistry courses. I was curious what advice you guys might have to make me more competitive for medical school admissions. I understand that I should be interning at a hospital a lot, but is there anything else that I should do? I hope to be accepted at UW for my four year degree and I wish to be accepted into UW Medical School upon completing my bachelor's degree.
 
I'm a WA resident as well.

My advice would be to try a lot harder. A D+ in Calc looks really bad... but you have time to recover from it. Read around, you have a long way to go.

Which CC are you at? I wouldn't advise doing Ochem during your CC year/2years. And what are your plans for a major? You'll want some upper division sciences at a four year when you transfer.
 
Well you're definitely going to need to pull up your GPA (college), as it's pretty low at the moment. Luckily, it's still pretty early in your college career. Other than that, looks like you're on the right track EC-wise...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was thinking about asking my professor to change my pre-calculus grade to a pass fail considering I received a 3.0 in a class two levels higher and because, my professor is the one that suggested me being a tutor. I am going to Peninsula College. My intended major is mathematics.
 
Intended major in Mathematics.

D+ in Pre-calculus.

Yes I want you as my doctor.
 
Hi everyone, I am currently a senior in high school and a sophomore in college due to a dual enrollment program Washington State does. So far my college GPA is resting at 3.37. I usually receive A's and B's in my classes, but during my first quarter I received a D+ in my Pre-Calculus 1 class which is why my college GPA is so low at the moment. I have a high school GPA of 3.57. I am a vice president for FCCLA, have lettered in track and cross country for three years each so far. I am apart of national honor society, and my adviser is asking me to register for national technical honor society. I have over one hundred hours of community service, mostly dealing with fundraising for medical research (relay for life) which I did as a part of my senior project, and working as a secretary type thing at my hospital's community health center. My community service also deals with mentoring an elementary school student which I did for half a year last year. I am also involved with a math club entitled mathletes. I am also planning on starting a Key Club. Outside of school I have two jobs, one as a math tutor at the community college I attend, and another at a hardware store. My college course work is as follows:

Global Issues: 3.9
English 101: 4.0
Pre-Cal 1: 1.5

US History 2: 3.0
Biology 222 (Majors Series: Cell/Molecular): 3.1
English 102: 4.0

Calculus 1 (Tested out of Pre-Calc 1 and Pre-Calc 2): 3.0
Acting 2: 3.8
Creative Writing 1: 4.0

I am currently taking: Philosophy and am averaging roughly a 3.5 GPA, Intro to Chemistry: 4.0 GPA, and Spanish: 2.0 (but am working on making that a 4.0 before the quarter ends.)

I am currently preparing to major in mathematics by completing the calculus series this year, and am thinking of staying at my community college for one more year in order to take/retake the biology series, the chemistry series, and maybe two organic chemistry courses. I was curious what advice you guys might have to make me more competitive for medical school admissions. I understand that I should be interning at a hospital a lot, but is there anything else that I should do? I hope to be accepted at UW for my four year degree and I wish to be accepted into UW Medical School upon completing my bachelor's degree.

not with that gpa
 
You must have been a really dorky kid.

You'd think if you spent so much time reading the dictionary you wouldn't have ended up at a third world medical school.

Grenada is not the third world.

Your grasp of geopolitics, basic facts, and, frankly, ****-talking is so terrible that I will now disinvest myself of your further drivel and go browse more cracked.com.

Or perhaps I shall nap because there's a beach party tomorrow. Enjoy your residency and premature gray hairs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
poor OP is probably clueless about what has happened to his thread. OP, I had a buddy who did a program like you are currently in. He ended up taking an extra undergraduate year to help repair his GPA and ultimately ended up at a DO school (no shame). Realize that college coursework is supposed to be a lot harder and requires a different mindset that comes with age (like a fine wine).
 
Grenada is not the third world.


third_world_map.jpg


Grenada is that red part near South America.

Your grasp of geopolitics, basic facts, and, frankly, ****-talking is so terrible that I will now disinvest myself of your further drivel and go browse more cracked.com.

Or perhaps I shall nap because there's a beach party tomorrow. Enjoy your residency and premature gray hairs.

That's so cute. You're trying to use big words (that you probably learned from reading the dictionary as a kid) to sound smart. Go ahead and disinvest yourself.

Perhaps you should spend your time studying so you don't become part of the large SGU attrition. I am enjoying my residency at the number one program in my field and the number one hospital in the nation. It must burn to know you will get some third rate residency program- if you even match. Enjoy struggling to get some program director to even consider you, especially since there will be 10% more US grads when you are applying. I hope I didn't ruin your beach party.
 
Last edited:
OP don't take all of your pre-recs at a community college unless you plan to retake them at a 4year university. Most med schools do not like to see pre-recs from CCs
 
third_world_map.jpg


Grenada is that red part near Africa.



That's so cute. You're trying to use big words (that you probably learned from reading the dictionary as a kid) to sound smart. Go ahead and disinvest yourself.

Perhaps you should spend your time studying so you don't become part of the large SGU attrition. I am enjoying my residency at the number one program in my field and the number one hospital in the nation. It must burn to know you will get some third rate residency program. Enjoy struggling to get some program director to even consider you, especially since there will be 10% more US grads when you are applying. I hope I didn't ruin your beach party.


That one even hurt me, and I have nothing to do with that dude.

Strong work my friend
 
third_world_map.jpg


Grenada is that red part near South America.



That's so cute. You're trying to use big words (that you probably learned from reading the dictionary as a kid) to sound smart. Go ahead and disinvest yourself.

Perhaps you should spend your time studying so you don't become part of the large SGU attrition. I am enjoying my residency at the number one program in my field and the number one hospital in the nation. It must burn to know you will get some third rate residency program- if you even match. Enjoy struggling to get some program director to even consider you, especially since there will be 10% more US grads when you are applying. I hope I didn't ruin your beach party.

You must live in a very small world with a very small dictionary if you think those are "smart" words. The right words come at the right time for those who have mastered the English language.

I don't study that much. It's first year of medical school: everything comes with effortless grace on 1-2 hours of study a day, and I can afford to do research besides.

I almost like you due to your diligence in researching the topic of third world countries, which is entirely subjective and irrelevant post-WW2, but I don't associate myself with small people, and nor do I let their inconsequence blight my eyes.

And this is when I find the ignore button on the forum. I hope you do the same. Watch those gray hairs.

🙂
 
You must live in a very small world with a very small dictionary if you think those are "smart" words. The right words come at the right time for those who have mastered the English language.

I don't study that much. It's first year of medical school: everything comes with effortless grace on 1-2 hours of study a day, and I can afford to do research besides.

I almost like you due to your diligence in researching the topic of third world countries, which is entirely subjective and irrelevant post-WW2, but I don't associate myself with small people, and nor do I let their inconsequence blight my eyes.

And this is when I find the ignore button on the forum. I hope you do the same. Watch those gray hairs.

🙂

I hate to have to keep putting you in your place. It must be embarrassing. Those who are intelligent do not sound contrived when they speak (or post). They do not have to add big words to their posts to sound smart. That was what I was pointing out; your posts sound contrived. You are trying too hard to sound smart, and ironically it makes you sound less intelligent.

Let me point out a few of the realities:
1) You live in a third world country
2) You had to leave the US to attend medical school in that third world country
3) You have been in medical school for a mere 3 months. You have no standing.
4) Your shot for getting a good residency (if you finish medical school) are slim to none
5) You shot for finishing medical school are markedly less if than you were a US student
6) Even if you somehow manage to finish and get a residency, you will always be an IMG and people will judge you for it
7) It burns when you pee (You should probably get that checked out).
 
Intended major in Mathematics.

D+ in Pre-calculus.

Yes I want you as my doctor.

Who cares? OP is young. People make mistakes. Learn from them, move on, and succeed in the future. Heck, I did worse in calc, and I'm in MS-1 now here in the US.

I almost like you due to your diligence in researching the topic of third world countries, which is entirely subjective and irrelevant post-WW2

Irrelevant? Sure... tell that to Uganda, The Congo, or... Grenada.

YouMad.jpg
 
I know right?

Good thing is, I really don't think any of these people would say these things to each other if this were a real life confrontation.
Wouldn't this mean that they only express their true colors in anonymity? 😕 Lame.
 
Instatewaiter: You made my day with this thread lol

To the OP

You are in high school?!?!?!?!?! Pay more attention to your opposite sex, why are you stressing about med school already?! Your D+ may look bad, but it wont eliminate your chances of going to medical school. But daaam man, how old are you? Seriously consider my first comment about the opposite sex. You are at the age where people have some of the best times of their life partying and meeting girls etc
 
OP, I'd recommend downgrading the number of college courses you're in right now. Dual enrollment is nice to a point but it sucks to graduate college and realize the grades you got while still in high school are going to make it much harder to get into medical school. The ideal situation would've been to ease into the courses one or two at a time and take on more after you're successful in doing that. If dual enrollment saves you money, it might be negated by having to take an extra year of college classes to bring your GPA up.

It's always better to start out strong so you don't have to do damage control later. Right now I'd say try to figure out a way to minimize hits to your GPA whether it's dropping something (W's can look bad too though), changing to pass fail, etc. Save the pre-reqs for the University if you can.

Also, definitely enjoy your last years of high school. I graduated HS with 30 college credits. It was nice and saved me money, but I wish I'd had a little more fun my last year of high school and stressed myself out less. You've got the whole rest of your life to bust your tail.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Instatewaiter: You made my day with this thread lol

To the OP

You are in high school?!?!?!?!?! Pay more attention to your opposite sex, why are you stressing about med school already?! Your D+ may look bad, but it wont eliminate your chances of going to medical school. But daaam man, how old are you? Seriously consider my first comment about the opposite sex. You are at the age where people have some of the best times of their life partying and meeting girls etc

been on and off with the same girl for 6 months. Feelsgoodman. Does that mean I'm a success =P?
 
I was thinking about asking my professor to change my pre-calculus grade to a pass fail considering I received a 3.0 in a class two levels higher and because, my professor is the one that suggested me being a tutor. I am going to Peninsula College. My intended major is mathematics.
I'm not sure how it works at your school, but I my school you have to change to P/F grading before the term is over. I don't think you can get it changed after you have already received a grade.
 
i wouldn't put too much stock in a map that depicts the likes of singapore and taiwan as 3rd world countries. :laugh:

I don't put stock into a map that looks as bright as the flags of third-world nations.

Coloring schemes, people.