Advice for a hopeful OMFS

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FutureOMS99

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I am a senior in high school and I am in desperate need of advice from someone who has gone through or going to dental school. My dream job is to become an oral surgeon, but here's the thing; I am planning on going to the University of Michigan (a school that is very competitive in the sciences). While I like biology, I am not a science superstar, so I was wondering what GPA can I get away with and still get into dental school. I was wondering if there was some non-traditional approach that I could take to get around competing with pre-med students, but still complete all the dental school requirements in 4 years. Another thing, I was wondering how hard is it to become an oral surgeon? That is my dream job and while I wouldn't mind being a dentist, it is not my ideal. I know it's competitive, but is it doable? Thanks for all your help!
 
Hi I am a senior in high school and I am in desperate need of advice from someone who has gone through or going to dental school. My dream job is to become an oral surgeon, but here's the thing; I am planning on going to the University of Michigan (a school that is very competitive in the sciences). While I like biology, I am not a science superstar, so I was wondering what GPA can I get away with and still get into dental school.

Predents.com has all the GPA and standardized test scores of average matriculated students.

I was wondering if there was some non-traditional approach that I could take to get around competing with pre-med students, but still complete all the dental school requirements in 4 years.
It's very unlikely. I just finished a post-bac and am an actual non-traditional student. I took my classes with hundreds of undergrads in the same sections that everyone takes.

Another thing, I was wondering how hard is it to become an oral surgeon? That is my dream job and while I wouldn't mind being a dentist, it is not my ideal. I know it's competitive, but is it doable? Thanks for all your help!
I don't mean to be hating or anything, but no one can really answer your question because no one knows anything about you. Dental school is competitive to get into, we know that much. Then you take all those successfully competitive people and make them compete again for fewer OMFS slots. Now granted, not everyone wants to be an OMFS, but I think only like 5% of dental school graduates can get into those positions. So it's hard. You've got about 8 years before you could start a OMFS fellowship, so what you do between now and then will have the largest effect on if you're competitive for one of those slots. Work hard and do well.
 
If you truly believe that you will not be able to maintain a competitive GPA, then U of Mich might not be right for you. I did not go to a top tier college, but I got an interview at U of Mich dental, which I declined. (I had too many interviews and boy... they were so many things to fill out to bring the the interview, and I am from Cali) Honestly, it is all about the numbers. Sure, the reputation of your undergrad will play a role, but not as much as you might think.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I am a senior in high school and I am in desperate need of advice from someone who has gone through or going to dental school. My dream job is to become an oral surgeon, but here's the thing; I am planning on going to the University of Michigan (a school that is very competitive in the sciences). While I like biology, I am not a science superstar, so I was wondering what GPA can I get away with and still get into dental school. I was wondering if there was some non-traditional approach that I could take to get around competing with pre-med students, but still complete all the dental school requirements in 4 years. Another thing, I was wondering how hard is it to become an oral surgeon? That is my dream job and while I wouldn't mind being a dentist, it is not my ideal. I know it's competitive, but is it doable? Thanks for all your help!

By taking the pre-reqs at UM, you will no doubt end up against the pre-meds. And yes it is competitive like you say it is. Either way, if you plan on taking your science pre-reqs at UM, there's no way to dodge the "competitive weeder" classes. You could always take them somewhere else if it's that much of a concern.


If you truly believe that you will not be able to maintain a competitive GPA, then Michigan state might not be right for you. I did not go to a top tier college, but I got an interview at Michigan State dental, which I declined. (I had too many interviews and boy... they were so many things to fill out to bring the the interview, and I am from Cali) Honestly, it is all about the numbers. Sure, the reputation of your undergrad will play a role, but not as much as you might think.

Michigan State does not have a dental school. I agree on reputation of your undergrad having little influence compared to your numbers.

/pre-med student
 
Michigan State does not have a dental school. I agree on reputation of your undergrad having little influence compared to your numbers.

/pre-med student[/QUOTE]


Oops, I meant U of Mich. Thanks for the correction.
 
GO Blue!

Anyway, I live in Michigan and I plan to go there to UMich-Flint for undergrad but I want to go to Umich-Ann Arbor for med school. You should be perfectly fine at Umich, just know it is very competitive there, one of the reasons I defered to their smaller school.
 
I've heard OMFS is as competitive as it gets, similar to radiology, rad onc, derm, and opthalmology in medicine.
 
I've heard OMFS is as competitive as it gets, similar to radiology, rad onc, derm, and opthalmology in medicine.

This is very true. As of now, a high school student should not be thinking about specializing. OP's priority should be getting into a dental school.