Advice for a possible career-switcher

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WanderingLaur

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently wrestling with a major life decision, and I would greatly appreciate any input or advice.

I have an M.A. in English and have taught for my entire career. For many years I have been considering a career switch, but never quite had the gumption to do it. I was originally thinking about becoming a school guidance counselor, since most of my most meaningful teaching moments have involved counseling and making connections with troubled students. Currently I have come to the conclusion that either an LPC or LCSW career would be a better fit, and I am strongly considering leaving my job as a teacher to go back to school full time. I have a passion for working with adolescents, and love the idea of advocating for those who most need it.

I have done a lot of research about LPC vs. LCSW options and advantages, and at this point I think I am leaning towards the LCSW path, as it seems to have more flexibility. I live in Virginia, but may eventually move to the west coast, and from what I can tell I would have more options as a LCSW. I would EVENTUALLY like to work in a private practice specializing in work with adolescents (I think!) but I am open to many possibilities.

I think my biggest concern is that I have waited too long (I am 41) to make such a big change. I am afraid of making a mistake, and accruing massive debt without successfully finding a career path that I love and find meaningful, and just worried that it will not be "worth it" ultimately. I have never been much of a risk taker, and this feels like a huge risk.

Any advice on how realistic my plan is for someone my age, on the LCSW vs. LPC question, or anything else, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think 41 is too old if you are up for the task. LCSW is definitely a much more flexible degree than LPC. I would stick with applying to programs housed in public, state schools as those are typically much cheaper than private schools and often have solid training programs.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think 41 is too old if you are up for the task. LCSW is definitely a much more flexible degree than LPC. I would stick with applying to programs housed in public, state schools as those are typically much cheaper than private schools and often have solid training programs.

Thank you for responding, and for your encouragement! The program I am most interested in is at VCU, which is a public state school. It looks like a great program, from what I can tell with my limited knowledge of the field.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I second that 41 is not too old, plenty of people in their 40s and older enter the social work field. I also don't think you have to give up teaching entirely. You mention being concerned about debt and it is not uncommon for social work students to work their way through. Perhaps you can teach part time and go to school full time or some other combination that works for you. Everything worth doing has some degree of risk. The upside is LCSW programs are only a few years and you'll increase your career options.

Reactions: 1 users
I second that 41 is not too old, plenty of people in their 40s and older enter the social work field. I also don't think you have to give up teaching entirely. You mention being concerned about debt and it is not uncommon for social work students to work their way through. Perhaps you can teach part time and go to school full time or some other combination that works for you. Everything worth doing has some degree of risk. The upside is LCSW programs are only a few years and you'll increase your career options.

Thanks so much for your reply- what you said about people my age and older entering the social work field helps a lot. And I absolutely agree that everything worth doing comes with risk!

Reactions: 1 users
One of the SWers I work with at my hospital had a SW trainee who was probably in her mid to late 50s earlier this year so it's definitely not to late.

If you haven't already done so, do some networking about what the day to day work could look like and compare it to your expectations. If you don't know any SWers in your circle, cold message people on LinkedIn or use other social media sites.

And check out the Bureau of Labor on some general info, including median salaries and such: Quick Search

Good luck!

VCU is a great school. Definitely go LCSW over LPC if you have the option ;)