Advice For All Current And Pre-dent Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Dai Phan

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Let me introduce myself... I am Dai Phan and I am currently a dentist working at the Albuquerque VA. I think that my educational path is anything but typical so I think that I can relate to all of your concerns. Let me say that I came to this country in 1980 and earned my BS degree in Aerospace Engineering in 1985. I then decided to go into dentistry (my father was an MD, my brother is a PHD in engineering so I thought dentistry for me would be appropriate). I went to University of Kansas for my pre-dent and I enrolled in UMKC Dental School in 1990 and earned my DDS in 1995. I then went on and did my post graduate trainings in General Dentistry (G.P.R and A.E.G.D) at the University of Nebraska Medical Center and University of Minnesota in 1996 and 1997. I then went on and completed a three year Prosthodontic Residency at Marquette University in 2000. Then I went another step further... I did an one year fellowship at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in Maxillofacial Prosthetic program completed in 2001. After a total of 16 years ( with a BSAE, DDS, two certificates in General Dentistry training, a speciaty and a sub-specialty), I became a full time professor at the University of Tennesee in Memphis. Two years ago, I was offered a job as a Maxillofacial Prosthodontist at Albuquerque VA and have been here since. I have given lectures nationally on various dental topics as well as giving talk to kids,high school and college students about the field of dentistry and how to get into the residency programs or life topics in general. I feel that I can help you should you need any advice regarding making it through dental schools, what specialty to pursue or any topics that you need help. Thank you for listening. Dai Phan

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I'm kidda interest in GPR programs at VA :thumbup: .Any program with lots of denture patients that you would recommend ?

Hello,

If you are looking into gaining your experience with dentures by doing a GPR at the VA, then you should really think why you should do a GPR in the first place. GPR is to gain an understanding on how to treat MEDICALLY COMPROMISED patients rather than to polish on a certain skill. If making denture is your weakeness, I suggest you make friend with your prosthodontic resident and ask him to let you observe his procedures. If you really want to undergo GPR with lots of denture patients, your best bet is to call the program director and ask about his patient loads. You will find that this is a sure way to be rejected as a GPR applicant at his Service. Dai Phan

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, thanks for offering to help. Do you have any tips for international students for paying for school? Stuff other than the usual loan-cosigner stuff. Thanks.

duh? said:
Hello, thanks for offering to help. Do you have any tips for international students for paying for school? Stuff other than the usual loan-cosigner stuff. Thanks.

duh?, you're international? where from?

Hello,

I believe that Federal loans are reserved for US citizens but some private loans do finance international students. Your best bet is to talk to your Student Affairs and ask them on the options. Dr.DP

I was just wondering what your view on the future of prosthodontics are. I applied but i've heard different opinons about the field. I got into USC and tufts...any thoughts on those programs?
thanks!

Hello,

The future of prosthodontics in terms of salary and demands have not changed in 5-6 decades in the US . What has changed is that more and more international students are doing prosthetics residency than US graduates. And this is perhaps due to the fact that the international students want to learn more about the restoration procedures taught in US schools. On the other hand, there has been declines in US grads apply to pros program because it is a very DIFFICULT and labor intensive 3 year program and not many want to be bothered with that. And the money is not there due to substantial lab bills. I did mine ( 4 years with pros/maxillofacial pros and a Master Degree) because of personal satisfaction as no one is more knowledgable in the field of restorative dentistry than a prosthodontist. If your goal is to make money, then consider endo or ortho. If your goal is to be the guru of restorative dentistry, then pros is the way to go. I only can speak as a US resident only. DP