Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Advice for an conflicted low GPA student with solid MCAT

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Some_brownie98, May 15, 2018 at 7:24 AM.

1. Some_brownie98

Pre-Medical
    Hey everyone,
    I was hoping I could get some feedback on my current app and whether to apply for DO this cycle + some low tier MD schools or apply to MD next year after slightly increasing my GPA.
    Major: Cell Biology and Neuroscience
    cGPA: 3.42
    sGPA: 3.19
    MCAT: 515 ( 129, 128, 129, 129)
    Asian
    Large Public University in New Jersey
    Clinical Experience:
    - Volunteer EMT for local EMS agency( 500 hrs)
    - Outpatient Medical Scribe ( June 2017 - Present)
    Research Experience:
    - 215 hours in Cell Biology Research working with large pharmaceutical companies and state medical school of research
    - Fellowship grant
    Shadowing:
    - Shadowing with Internist( 50 hours)
    - Shadowing with Pediatrician( 100 hrs)
    Non-Clincal Volunteering:
    - Hundreds of hours in local soup kitchens, children's hospitals and food pantries for 3 years of college
    EC:
    - Leadership position on a service organization for the past year + 3 years of involvement in that club that performed many service acts in an around the community
    - Peer mentor for Large medical student organization
    - Leadership position as Crew Chief on EMS squad
    - SAT tutor
    Honors:
    - Graduating with Honors degree
    - Fellowship grant
    LoR:
    - 4 currently
    - 1 Science( another pending)
    - 1 from freshman year dean for innovation course
    - 2 from EMS president and Scribe Doctor

I know my GPA is far from ideal for an MD program but is it worth to wait a year hoping to increase my cGPA to maybe a 3.5? Or should I just apply to low tier-MD programs and DO schools this cycle? If so what are some good schools to apply with my credentials?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Goro

Faculty

Non-Student
    If you're boning for the MD, unless you had a massive upward sGPA trend, you're going to need from sGPA reinvention. For DO schools, best to apply broadly. But you're < the minimum for lots of schools, including mine.

read this:
    Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention