Advice for an Incoming M1 interested in IM and Interventional Cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rahul0774

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I will be an incoming M1 this fall at a mid-tier state school. I am very interested in pursuing a career as an interventional cardiologist, and I would like to match into a strong program. I realize that I will need to match into an IM program first, preferably one at a reputed university. I understand that the prevailing school of thought surrounding medical school is to work hard and allow everything else to fall into place. However, beyond just being incredibly dedicated to one's studies, what else do I need to do to establish myself as a strong candidate? Research? Leadership? Letters of Rec? Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes but matching in to subspecialties is so far away that's it's literally not worth worrying about. If you are that interested in cardiology then research would kill multiple birds. But past that you should just do the same thing everyone else does, survive. There is a lot of IM spots so you should be fine. And matching into a fellowship(s) will be more about what you do in residency.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
My biggest advice is to be less of a tool

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, I will be an incoming M1 this fall at a mid-tier state school. I am very interested in pursuing a career as an interventional cardiologist, and I would like to match into a strong program. I realize that I will need to match into an IM program first, preferably one at a reputed university. I understand that the prevailing school of thought surrounding medical school is to work hard and allow everything else to fall into place. However, beyond just being incredibly dedicated to one's studies, what else do I need to do to establish myself as a strong candidate? Research? Leadership? Letters of Rec? Thanks for your time.
You should go to a well-reputed med school if the end goal is a well-reputed cards program via a well-reputed IM program.

Oh wait :shifty:

Reactions: 1 user
See #4, it was written for you as well.
It's well accepted that going to a well-reputed IM program is extremely difficult if you're not coming from a well-reputed school. 60-70% of any given BWH/MGH class comes from top schools. (Literally. Someone in the IM forum went through the lists recently.) Last time I checked, it's a similar number for, say, Columbia cards. It's not fair, it sucks, it's rather stupid to be chasing these things, but it's true. People who make it to these prestigious academic IM programs from random schools are the exceptions, not the norms. OP cares about prestige and "well-reputed" places; I was just making a joke that he got started on the wrong foot.

Reactions: 1 user
Find an interventional cardiologist at your school who does research. Shadow him/her and get involved with publications as soon as possible. Having someone who can open doors, may make all the difference.

Frankly, most people change their mind about specialties during third year. It's important to prepare for the most competitive thing you're interested in early, but to also keep your mind open if interests change.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's well accepted that going to a well-reputed IM program is extremely difficult if you're not coming from a well-reputed school. 60-70% of any given BWH/MGH class comes from top schools. (Literally. Someone in the IM forum went through the lists recently.) Last time I checked, it's a similar number for, say, Columbia cards. It's not fair, it sucks, it's rather stupid to be chasing these things, but it's true. People who make it to these prestigious academic IM programs from random schools are the exceptions, not the norms. OP cares about prestige and "well-reputed" places; I was just making a joke that he got started on the wrong foot.

Such a troll all you do is comment on different threads about how people who aren't at top 5 medschools can't get residencies they desire yah yah spare the tough love speech and rhetoric like you're a seasoned residency director dropping rejections on kids from
Not top 5 schools and come to the realization that unless you change your attitude you're on your path to becoming a pretty crappy Doctor.

Reactions: 1 users

Except OP wasn't talking about Brigham or MGH. He asked about going to "a well reputed University" program. You're the one who interpreted that as being the most elite and competitive programs. Going to a good University program is a very reasonable goal to have coming from any US MD school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 6 users

Do research between M1 and 2. Otherwise do very well in your courses.

LORs will happen after your third year. Get good ones.

It is not hard to get into a well regarded IM program from a non-top school. It is neither an outlier nor an exception. And you don't need to go to a top tier IM program to match into cardiology.

Love,
Your neighborhood cardiology fellow

Reactions: 2 users
Except OP wasn't talking about Brigham or MGH. He asked about going to "a well reputed University" program. You're the one who interpreted that as being the most elite and competitive programs. Going to a good University program is a very reasonable goal to have coming from any US MD school.
Yeah I interpreted "well-regarded" a little too haphazardly, probably influenced by the recent thread in IM about how crazy elitist some of these places can be

If there is one thing I learned in my first year of medical school it's that I didn't know **** about medicine before I started medical school. It's good to have an image of what you want to do in your mind before you start, just so you maintain your drive. But you haven't even set foot in medical school yet. The entire world of medicine is there to explore. Who knows, maybe you end up liking neurosurgery, or pediatrics, or whatever. You need to be open to get turned on by something that really excites you (yes, I know how this sentence can be interpreted). If you find something that really gets you up in the morning, then the passion and interest will get you the evaluations and research, and whatever that you need to get into that field.