Advice for an M1 summer - definitely going into Pediatrics

Started by guppy3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

guppy3

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!

I'm struggling to decide if I should apply for research positions this summer, or if I should try to find an international service project. I was hoping to get some input from some doctors who have made it into peds residencies - my school tends to push research all the time, so I'm uncertain about following their advice.

I have an extensive research background from undergrad, where I have worked in 3 labs (bench, clinical, and social psych) and have a publication in one of the top journals (but only 8th author). I don't hate research, I just don't plan on doing it as a large portion of my career. I'm interested in primary care and child psych, so my main goal this summer is to learn how to become a better clinician, not to become a better researcher. I do, however, want to do residency at competitive places like CHOP, Boston Children's and Children's National in DC, where I know research is looked at favorably. Would my prior research be enough when applying that I could do something else this summer? Or would it be in my best interest to do research to be competitive for residency?

The program I'm interested in internationally is a class on Ayurvedic medicine that's taught in India, which would give me time to visit family in India after the program is completed. It seems like fun for me (albeit very expensive), but I don't know if it would necessarily help my application for those top residency programs.

If anyone has any good pediatric-related research programs for the summer, I would appreciate the suggestions. My main worry with research is the gamble that I might end up in a lab I hate (which has already happened to me), ruining the one summer that I have to enjoy myself. I just don't know how to balance being competitive with research, with doing something that would make me a better clinician.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you in advance for your responses!
 
Hi!


The program I'm interested in internationally is a class on Ayurvedic medicine that's taught in India, which would give me time to visit family in India after the program is completed. It seems like fun for me (albeit very expensive), but I don't know if it would necessarily help my application for those top residency programs.

It wouldn't very much but so what? Life is for living. Take a summer off of gunning for the big name "whatever" and enjoy life. You'll have plenty of time to impress in the future, and doing research you don't want to do won't be how you'll do it.

I promise you that 20 years from now you'll remember your summer with your family in India more than doing some lab job you didn't care about.
 
Last edited:
The program I'm interested in internationally is a class on Ayurvedic medicine that's taught in India, which would give me time to visit family in India after the program is completed. It seems like fun for me (albeit very expensive), but I don't know if it would necessarily help my application for those top residency programs.

Expanding on OBP's statement with which I agree: why wouldn't you just save your money on the course-which I would strongly suspect will do nothing for your application to a competitive residency-and just spend the money on visiting your family in India?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm, you do make a good point - I would really hate to lose this opportunity to see my family, especially since I don't think I'll have a break long enough after this first summer. I am still worried about getting into those residences though, mostly because Children's is in a city where I would like to live in the future. Do you think that residencies that are looking for research would be satisfied with the research I had completed previously in undergrad? Thanks OBP!

J-Rad: I was looking at the course because I was hoping that doing a program that was more structured would be seen as having a "productive summer". It isn't really what I had in mind though - I would prefer to volunteer at an orphanage, and I found one that is close to where my family lives in India so that I could spend time with them while doing some service - but it would be very informal if the orphanage ends up letting me work there. Do you think that would be okay? I just don't want residencies to think that I wasted my summer.
 
Do you think that residencies that are looking for research would be satisfied with the research I had completed previously in undergrad? Thanks OBP!

Residencies are PRIMARILY looking for people who will do a good job at patient care. This includes the big shot children's hospitals.

A bit of research is nice to have, but no one is scanning your application to decide if you met some standard of investigative efforts during your MS1-MS2 summer.

So, do what you're comfortable doing. We've given you the answer as we see it, it's up to you to decide what to do.
 
Thanks OBP! Both of you are absolutely right, it's just kind of hard to go against the grain when your school constantly says that you can't get into those places without research. India it is!
 
I agree with OBP - go to India, and it's not even close. I did a public health internship in the summer between 1st and 2nd year of med school and cut it off early to go to southeast asia for two weeks with friends. Several years later I am so glad I did, and am still in touch with those friends. Also keep in mind that you can get outstanding pediatric training anywhere, not just CHOP, Boston, DC, etc. So if I were you I'd lose the mentality that "I better do research even if I don't care about it just to get into one of those programs because otherwise I'll be a failure" - when nothing could be farther from the truth.
 
I had a similar dilemma for my summer between MS1 and MS2. I ended up doing a small research project mainly because I could get paid to do it and cover my rent. The abroad options were just way too expensive unless you have the parental funds for that. To be honest, I've gotten some very good program interviews, and almost none of them have asked about that summer project. I'd just go to India and be with your family. Have fun, and forget about school for a summer. One summer isn't going to change your application significantly. I think they care a lot more about your performance on clinical rotations during your third & fourth years.

Have a blast!
 
Thank you for your advice! I'm working on volunteering at an orphanage while I'm India this summer. I really hope it pans out!