Advice for applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Trueblue12

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All. I just had my orientation for PT school this week and they provided statistics for the incoming class. For what its worth, the acceptance rate was just under 8 percent! I would expect it to be even more competitive across the board this year having PTcas in its second year with more programs participating. APPLY TO MORE THAN JUST A COUPLE OF PROGRAMS!!!! I believe I stood out in my interviews and thats what set me apart from other applicants. If your application is bland dont just settle and apply to programs w/o interviews. Prepare for the interview and this will give you a better shot at getting in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Scary stats but I'd be more interested in how much the average acceptance stats jumped for schools. The avg GPA and other statistics could have easily remained around the same mark with a huge drop in acceptance rates due to PTCAS. If the avg cGPA jumped from 3.4 to a 3.7 with an acceptance rate of 8% then eek!

Thanks for the info!
 
I've heard this stuff since my freshman year in college. My first year advisor told me how horrible it is to get into PT school and how I would be better off to form a "plan B". I dropped that advisor as soon as possible. Don't let anyone tell you "NO"...only let yourself decide that.

Also, what isn't competitive? My mother is a middle school principle and she tells me all the time that anytime a counselor or teaching position opens up these days, they get close to 500 applicants for 1 opening.