Advice for attending the UAG summer medical Spanish program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dragonfly411

Megalagrion jugarum
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm planning to attend the medical Spanish program at the Universidad de Autónoma in Guadalajara this summer (and darned excited about it, too!). I have read that other students had a great experience with it. For those who have participated in it, would you mind answering just two of my questions? Here they are:

1) As a premed (I will begin med school in August), does anyone know what responsibilities will be given to me when I volunteer at the free health clinic? I read on SDN that a student took the blood pressure of patients and even helped suture, and she had only completed her first year of medical school by then.

2) I know that people recommend not drinking the water in Mexico because it may lead to diarrhea or other GI problems. Someone also recommended not eating any fresh fruits or vegetables. Does anyone else have other recommendations in order to keep healthy and safe while in Mexico?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Dragonfly411 said:
Hello. I'm planning to attend the medical Spanish program at the Universidad de Autónoma in Guadalajara this summer (and darned excited about it, too!). I have read that other students had a great experience with it. For those who have participated in it, would you mind answering just two of my questions? Here they are:

1) As a premed (I will begin med school in August), does anyone know what responsibilities will be given to me when I volunteer at the free health clinic? I read on SDN that a student took the blood pressure of patients and even helped suture, and she had only completed her first year of medical school by then.

2) I know that people recommend not drinking the water in Mexico because it may lead to diarrhea or other GI problems. Someone also recommended not eating any fresh fruits or vegetables. Does anyone else have other recommendations in order to keep healthy and safe while in Mexico?

Thanks in advance!
Dragonfly- I've never gone to UAG, but grew up near the border and spent a lot of time south. Not drinking the water in Mexico is important, for the reasons you desribed.

There is nothing wrong with the fruits/vegetables there, but due to the water issue, you have to be careful of ANY food that is washed and served without boiling first. Unpeeled bananas/oranges are fine, apples are not if they are rinsed and served. Also, do not order any drinks with ice for the same reason.

[Hey Dragonfly, I am heading down to UAG this summer too! I have been reading some sketchy things about the med school though. What have u heard about the summer program? I just signed up after seeing it on their website.

Members don't see this ad :)
cassica said:
[Hey Dragonfly, I am heading down to UAG this summer too! I have been reading some sketchy things about the med school though. What have u heard about the summer program? I just signed up after seeing it on their website.

Hey Cassica! That's awesome that you will be at UAG this summer, too. I've just heard that people have had a great experience there. One person (she went during her summer after M1) took the blood pressure of the patients, and I think she even got to help suture! I also know that we will be volunteering at a clinic in one of the poorest districts in Mexico. I think we do enough that the patients think we (pre-med and med students) are doctors. In general, though, I've heard about people's experiences with the clinic, but not necessarily the Spanish classes. I hope those are good, too!

Btw, can you tell me exactly who you made the check out to when you sent in your deposit to UAG (just "Universidad Autónoma de Guadalajara" or do I add in the "medical Spanish program," too)? The contact lady is a bit slow getting back to me. ¡Gracias!

Hey dragonfly411, I am excited too for the summer! I made the check out to the university only, and not the medical spanish program. Hope it's ok for them. That's what they wanted traveller's cheques made out to. My email is:
[email protected]. Send yours to me cause I would like to chat before we meet in June....only if you want to that is.

After you brought the program up on here, I checked out their webpage. It looks like a pretty good program. I'm trying to get in touch with someone there to see if there are any spots left, and to get some of the details.

What I really like is that this program sounds reputable. Many of the private spanish schools just seem a little questionable.

logos said:
After you brought the program up on here, I checked out their webpage. It looks like a pretty good program. I'm trying to get in touch with someone there to see if there are any spots left, and to get some of the details.

What I really like is that this program sounds reputable. Many of the private spanish schools just seem a little questionable.

You know, one of my friends gave me the website to check this program out b/c I am interested in gaining that experience also. Unfortunately, I lost it. So i was wondering if someone could give the website for it or just pm me with the info.

Thanks guys!

logos said:

I participated in this program last summer and had a great time. I'll give all of you the low down:

-I don't know how many of you have gone abroad before, but living with a Mexican family is the best part. I had the most awesome abuelita! I don't know if it's too late, but you should really try to get in a house where you are the only student if you are not fluent in Spanish. I had a great time, but I didn't learn nearly the Spanish I wanted to since I was living with 3 other american girls.

-They've had many groups come in since last year, so it's possible it's more organized...but when I got there, it was shocking how disorganized it seemed to be. They told us that we would have to go from school to home for lunch and back to school in like a 2 hour span...which is tough when you live a 45 minute walk away. Some people lived closer, and all the families are on bus lines, but it was too much of a rush. A lot of people just decided to suck it up and go out to eat every day, or have their family give them lunch in the mornings. My clinic group, however, convinced our driver (the person who took us to the clinic) to go ahead and pick us up at our houses. I highly recommend this. The drivers are incredibly nice people, and they will try to do anything to make you happy.

-If you are fluent, or near fluent in Spanish, you can probably get a lot more out of the clinical aspect of the program. Basically when I started, I had my high school Spanish that was long lost, and had trouble understanding the patients. The first couple of weeks there were students in the clinics and they did most of the work since they have a certain number of patients they have to see. But after that, the students stop coming because they are done, and it's just you, whoever else is in your program at the clinic, and the doctor. That was waaaay better. At the end I was taking full patient histories, doing the typical blood pressure, heart beat, kind of stuff...and I even got to give a shot to a patient, and draw blood from the doctor!

-Basically, this program is really what you get out of it. If you have strong Spanish skills, you can probably function pretty independently, and if you ask, the doctors will let you do pretty much anything. If you don't have strong Spanish skills like me, it's a lot of fun, and you learn a lot, especially about Mexican culture and medicine.

-One of the problems is that some of the clinics don't get too many patients, and at every clinic, there will be times when you are sitting around doing nothing. Use that time to practice you Spanish (unless you're already fluent) and make friends with your doctor. My friend and I developed a really good relationship with our doctor and it made the slow times fun.

-Also, make sure you take the weekends to travel. I highly recommend a tour of Michoacan. Try to get a big group of people together and the travel agent at the school will arrange for a big van and a tour guide (just make sure before you leave campus that the tour guide actually agrees to give you tours without you having to pay him a crap load more money...and make sure when you stay in a hotel, you get it in writing that your breakfast is free, otherwise, they'll charge you about $20 US for it). Also, I highly recommend a weekend to chill in Puerto Vallarta. I would stay in Nuevo Vallarta, not the places that the travel agent will initially suggest, even though it's more expensive. There's lots of other places to go, and I left every weekend, so take advantage of the opportunity.

Well, I hope you guys have a lot of fun, if you have more questions feel free to PM me.

Dragonfly411 said:

I haven't done the UAG program, but have lived in Mexico and wanted to comment about getting sick. In my opinion, you will get sick, it's just a matter of when. I was there for weeks before I got sick and it got to be a little game with the friend I was staying with. She would take me out to eat all these unusual Mexican foods and over and over she'd be like, "eat this, you're gonna get sick," but I would be fine. What finally did it for me was the cooking oil one of her relatives used to make some sort of fried dumpling things. I was sick as a dog for about a week. The nice thing about Mexico though, it's pretty easy to get some potent drugs OTC to solve your GI distress. I wish I could remember what I took, but it was a long time ago. Also, rest, rest, rest. I slept practically all day for several days when I was ill.

Good luck. It sounds like this will be a great opportunity. I'd also be interested in learning more about the program. Cool thread.

Thank you all for the advice! It's all very interesting, and I appreciate it.

Just wondering, with anyone who is planning to go to UAG this summer, did you already buy your plane ticket? I sent in my deposit and app and have yet to hear from them about whether I have secured a spot (I'll call them on Monday). For those who have heard back from them, how long did it take UAG to send you an information packet confirming a spot in the program? Plane tickets keep rising, so I want to hurry up and buy one soon. Thanks!

Buenas,

I am also going to the UAG med spanish program this summer (the Jul 11 - Aug 15th section). I am really excited!! I actually speak pretty decent spanish, and Im doing it for improvement and to get some clinical exposure..

I am actually thinking about flying to the border, and taking a bus across Mexico to GUadalajara. I heard Mexico has a very good and comfortable bus system, and I really want to see the pre-hispanic ruins at Casas Grandes, 3 hours south of El Paso!

Anyway, if you guys wanna share info, ideas, etc, my email is [email protected] .

Sam

Dragonfly411 said:
Thank you all for the advice! It's all very interesting, and I appreciate it.

Just wondering, with anyone who is planning to go to UAG this summer, did you already buy your plane ticket? I sent in my deposit and app and have yet to hear from them about whether I have secured a spot (I'll call them on Monday). For those who have heard back from them, how long did it take UAG to send you an information packet confirming a spot in the program? Plane tickets keep rising, so I want to hurry up and buy one soon. Thanks!

Hi all!

I'm just about ready to go to Mexico in two weeks. Woohoo! But I have some questions regarding how much dinero ($$) to bring. We need to bring extra money for weekend meals, laundry, and shopping. My contact person from the Universidad Autónoma de Guadalajara said that meals will be $20 maximum for the day. Does anyone know how much their average meal was in a restaurant? How much did you pay for laundry? How much did you bring for shopping? I know that 1 U.S. dollar is equivalent to 11.04 Mexican pesos, but that doesn't mean much to me since I don't know the typical cost of things in Mexico, so if you could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it. :)

Also, this is the first time I will be traveling out of the country by myself, so I was wondering how all of you who did the UAG summer program in the past brought money to Mexico. Did you use traveler's checks in small amounts of money, both U.S. and Mexican currency? Or did you bring U.S. dollars in cash and rely on converting it to pesos at a currency exchange shop? Or did you already convert your U.S. dollars to pesos before coming to Mexico? Or all of the above?

I'm trying to think of the cheapest way to do things since I know you have to pay for commission when converting money. I'm not sure if it's cheaper to convert dollars to pesos in the U.S. or Mexico and if it's cheaper to convert to pesos at either an ATM or currency exchange shop in Mexico.

If anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it. ¡Muchas gracias!

I haven't done the UAG program, but I spent ~1 month traveling around the Yucatan a couple summers ago and had a blast checking out all the Mayan ruins, so I can give some general travel advice. About getting sick: if you stay for a long time getting sick may be inevitable, but my BF and I managed to avoid it by being very careful--water sin hielo always (which is hard because it's hot in the Yucatan in September!) and even brushed our teeth with bottled water! In nicer restaurants the water is sometimes okay to drink, but always ask if they don't bring it to you in a bottle. The bus system is mainly how we got around, it is relatively fast, cheap, and efficient. Just go first class or deluxe, this is still pretty cheap and worth the extra $2-3. We also sometimes took shared vans called colectivos for short distances, these are even cheaper than buses and air-conditioned as well, usually they have stands near bus stations. In general, Mexico is inexpensive compared to the states, you can buy a good meal in a restaurant for $5-10 and a cheap meal for substantially less. Of course there are luxury options that are more expensive, but as a general guide I think $20/day will be more than enough to eat well. ATM's are plentiful in cities and easier to use than traveler's checks, the exchange rate is the same as at the banks which is usually the best (no added fees which many exchange shops have). Just bring your card and take out money as you need it there. Have fun, it's a beautiful country! If anyone is planning a side trip to the Yucatan I would be happy to provide more info for that as well.

hey kids --

i'm currently in the UAG program (for the may 16 - june 10 term), so hopefully i can answer some of your questions.

basic set-up:
- grammar classes from 9am-11am. there are about 5-10 students in your class, and you're assigned a level based on a placement test you take the first day.

- medical spanish from 11am-1pm. there are two medical spanish levels, which are again broken up based on your spanish knowledge.

- off time from 1pm-3:15pm. i usually went and checked email in the computer lab and then had plenty of time to walk home, get some lunch, change into scrubs, and walk back to catch the van to the clinic.

- clinic time from 4pm-8pm. i have to say that i was a little disappointed with the clinical aspect of the program, though. i was expecting sort of a mini-hospital style of clinic, where i'd be able to run around with different doctors and see lots of different things. in reality, the clinics are TINY neighborhood places that basically get a lot of people with colds and stomach aches.

... there are 2-3 kids from the med spanish program in each clinic, along with a doctor or two, and maybe a UAG medical student now and then. there's a LOT of free time, though -- some clinics only get 3 patients during the entire 4 hour period. most of the time i either chatted with people there or else did homework assigned during the morning classes.

... all of that isn't to say that you don't learn spanish, though. clinics are a great opportunity to learn how to do patient interviews in spanish and (if you get a cool doctor) get some hands-on practice. in my clinic, the other student and i did things like check vitals, give immunization shots, and help in minor surgeries (ingrown toenails... how glamorous.. haha). other kids have helped to do things like ultrasounds and pap smears.

other information:

- as for how much money to bring, it kind of depends on how much you want to go out and how much you plan to buy. you get 3 meals a day from your host family during the week, but you're on your own for the weekend. the places i would eat at probably cost maybe $5-8 a person for a good meal and a bottle of water. keep in mind that a LOT of places don't take credit cards, and those that do often don't take american express. if you plan on going shopping in any of the bazaars, have cash on hand, too.

- there's a bank on campus where you can change money. the going rate there right now was 10.70 pesos per dollar... so yeah, you lose a little here and there to commission, but the convenience is worth it.

- there's also a laundry place about 5 minutes from campus in this place called "plaza amistad"... i'm not sure how much it costs to do it yourself, but if you have them do it it ends up being like $10 USD per load. it's a lot, but if you use your weekends to travel outside of GDL, you really don't have the time to do laundry yourself during the week, anyway.

- don't stay in guadalajara every weekend!!! i went to puerto vallarta and guanajuato and had a great time.

- they say you can't wear jeans, tshirts, or tank tops to classes in the morning, but in actuality they don't care. bring clothes for HOT weather, and also bring an umbrella because summer is rainy season.

can't think of anything else right now, but i hope you guys have a great time!

What about the family you stay with? Do they give you a key? Is coming home late possible/acceptable? Are they a pain, or do they keep to themselves?

Also, are there cheap clothing stores around, with mexican prices? For example, could I just buy socks and underware in Mexico, how much would that go for?