Advice for current Pre-med student going into Junior Year.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IStephens73

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sup guys, was curious of somethings I could to do possibly add to my application for medical schools. I currently have a 3.6 cumulative and 3.4 science majoring in Biomedical Sciences and know I can bring this up in my remaining time. I also want to start prepping for the MCAT soon. I plan to take it early next year and applying that cycle. I'm also a peer tutor through my university and tutor other students in the science classes I have taken so far, and most of these being med school prereqs. This has been an amazing experience for me and really gave me a sense of purpose being able to help other ambitious students. I am also Vice-President of my greek organization, and with this have had an exceptional amount of volunteering and leadership experience working with people. I was even voted on and sent to Chicago and Phoniex for leadership conferences and had the ability to connect with many other members nationally. My one worry is my ability to get shadowing and clinical experience with the current pandemic. I had applied to a couple of research programs for the summer that got canceled due to this as well. Looking for advice on getting this experience and MCAT prep tip. Also just wondering how I compare. Thank you and I hope everyone is staying healthy during these times! ( in addition, I have dealt with a good amount of adversity in my journey so far. I was raised without a father and anything I have done is self-made. First-generation college student and most of my family is addiction ridden with low economic status. I truly know I am capable of the content and can put in the hours. Along with the true desire to help people that I could write 5 pages about easily. I don't know if this stuff even gets considered but just a side note.) Also I live near KYCOM and would love to attend there. I am not concerned with DO or MD I just wanna be a doctor.
 
I go to KYCOM and based on what you have now, you're setting yourself up for success. GPA's are a tad low for MD schools but if you knock the MCAT out of the park, they could give you some love. If you're wanting to go to KYCOM, score above a 500, keep your GPA up and try to shadow a DO and get experience either working (Scribe, EMT, STNA, etc.) or volunteering in healthcare. Do all that, apply early in the cycle and you should have a pretty solid shot of getting an interview come time. Good luck, any questions you have about KYCOM just PM me!