advice for D.O. in allo match...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skapone33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a D.O. student eagerly awaiting the allopathic match. I am reluctantly confident that I will match to a program, however, if I don't, I want to complete an osteopathic rotating internship year. I know this late after the D.O. match these spots will be few and far between. My question is, would it benefit me to call open programs this week and express interest and explain my situation? (in the event that I do not match in the allopathic match).. Any help is greatly appreciated... thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There are still a number of AOA traditional internships available. In speaking with the DME at my hospital, he indicated that they may fill the one remaining rotating internship spot after the NRMP match, so I think it's still a viable option for you to scramble AOA.

I don't think it would help you to call programs before the NRMP match because I doubt they would take you too seriously. They're not going to hold a spot for you on the small chance that you need to scramble. Wait and see if you match to an ACGME program, then scramble AOA if you don't.

Last year I was getting emails from AOA internships with open spots all the way until August. So don't stress out about it...there will be open spots after the allopathic match.

Thanks for the help...I guess I just wanted to cover my bases if things don't work out with the match. My nerves are starting to get the best of me!
Thanks again! I really appreciate it!