1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

advice for DAT and application

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by dmatat, Aug 2, 2011.

1. dmatat

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I was planning on taking the DAT this Sunday, Aug 7th. I am not scoring in the range I want, so I am thinking of postponing my test until Sept 1st-3rd. It will be my first time taking the exam. I am aiming to score in the 19-20 average range. I do not want to apply with sub par scores and think its worth the wait as opposed to being rejected if i were to send in lower than expected scores. I am finalizing my PS as we speak and will have the primary application submitted by the end of next week.

I am a Georgia resident applying to schools all over, mainly in CA, AR and NY. If i take my test early September, and get scores back a few weeks later, will I risk being considered as a late applier and be viewed negatively by admissions committees?

Much appreciated.

My overall GPA is 3.55

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BerrF12

Pre-Dental
    About a month is a long time to push it back. I would suggest maybe 2-3 weeks. But if you feel more comfortable with a month, then do that. But aim for a higher score. Definitely submit your application ASAP and take a day off during your studying to complete as many secondaries as you can so that the only thing missing will be your DAT score. I think the earliest cut-off for some schools is October, so you should be ok. Just do well!