Advice for DAT Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scissorrunner22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! :)

I need some advice/input on my situation. I'm currently prepping for the DAT and I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with the material. I took biology, general chemistry, and organic chemistry 4+ years ago (I did a chemistry minor in undergrad) and even though I did extremely well in those courses while in undergrad, I'm going to be honest: I don't remember anything. I'm currently rereading my textbooks and even though this is my second time learning this stuff, it feels like I'm doing it for the first time. I do like learning it all again though because I'm actually connecting concepts now rather than cramming/memorizing it all like I did while I was in college. The thing is, rereading everything and making flashcards is getting me a bit overwhelmed because it is A LOT of information. In your opinion, am I overstudying for the DAT by going over each chapter?

In addition to my textbooks, I use Feralis' notes (they have certain things that my college textbook doesn't), Cliffs AP Biology (for concepts that I don't get), DAT Bootcamp (I pick the subject exams to see if I understand that concept and I'm doing well so far), and DAT/Math Destroyer (same as Bootcamp). I tried Chad's videos but I'm not much of a video person.

I know that some people on SDN recommend doing the questions and then reading the explanations, but I worry that I will underprepare for the DAT by following this method (as previously mentioned, I don't remember much from my courses) and not do so well. I'm trying to not psych myself out over the DAT, but like all of you, I want to do really well. So what do you all think?

For those of you who did not see the science material for a few years, did you study everything at the same time or one subject at a time?

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't read your textbooks, refer to your textbook when you run into concepts you don't get. Trying to study for the DAT with your textbook is very inefficient and not very effective.

I agree with the above poster. I wouldn't read the textbook as it is very time consuming. Use them to check yourself instead. For review I would recommend cliffs for the bio. Klein for organic chemistry. As far as reviewing goes.....use destroyer, hands down the best prep book for questions and checking how well you understand concepts.