Advice for DO 3rd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgerwin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a rising 3rd year. I haven't gotten my COMLEX scores back yet, but I was wondering if I am completely out of luck without the USMLE step 1. My USMLE practice tests were just under passing, so I decided to not take it at this point. This is in contrast to my COMLEX scores, which were very good. I could definitely take Step 2, as I am more clinically oriented and would probably score higher than Step 1. I've written some programs, and in general, most don't care about the USMLE. Is this actually true? Any advice?

We are H/P/F, so I couldn't tell you my class rank at this point, but I passed everything. 2 H's, no F's.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a rising 3rd year. I haven't gotten my COMLEX scores back yet, but I was wondering if I am completely out of luck without the USMLE step 1. My USMLE practice tests were just under passing, so I decided to not take it at this point. This is in contrast to my COMLEX scores, which were very good. I could definitely take Step 2, as I am more clinically oriented and would probably score higher than Step 1. I've written some programs, and in general, most don't care about the USMLE. Is this actually true? Any advice?

We are H/P/F, so I couldn't tell you my class rank at this point, but I passed everything. 2 H's, no F's.

Thanks!

I've heard from many residents that got into fantastic PM&R programs that they got in only taking the comlex.

I think this question has been asked before on this forum. you can do a search for it, to confirm. but the consensus seeems to be that you do not need both exams...
good luck

I don't think that it is much of an issue for PM&R programs. However, I did run into 1 or 2 preliminary medicine programs that wanted to see USMLE scores. These programs however in my experience are DO unfriendly anyhow. It definitely did not hold me back in any shape or form however.