Advice for early preparation in applying for residency...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

homegrown85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have advice or preliminary steps for a D1 that, when the time comes, will apply to out of state residency programs? (Besides being top of class and doing well on boards)

Members don't see this ad.

any specialty program- for sake of thoroughness mainly ortho/OMFS, as preparation steps for these would, most likely, encompass others as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have advice or preliminary steps for a D1 that, when the time comes, will apply to out of state residency programs? (Besides being top of class and doing well on boards)

For GPRs/AEGDs look at the dental pages... on the top you will see why a residency... This should help. Any questions, let me know,

Unlike dental school, most residency programs do not base admissions on whether you are in-state or out of state.

Top of the class and great boards are a good start. Without them, all the extra curricular activities in the world do little to compensate. With that said:

some good externships for OMFS
Some involvement in school, student government, research, etc.
Letter of rec from OMFS chair helps, as well as personal deans letter

involvement in ortho program at school
Attend orthognathic conferences, CPC's, other conferences at school on your time
Some type of ortho mentorship which involves workups and basic tx planning
Dress well for ortho

Just some things I have seen on applications. I am sure there is more.