Advice For Future Applicants (Add yours now)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twiggers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought it would be a nice idea to have a thread for future applicants to visit. The majority of us have just finished our applications, etc. and the process is fresh in our minds. People ask me all the time at work for advice so I thought this would be nice for the new people.
Here's my advice:

1) Get research experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would recommend at least 1 year of experience for clinical programs.

2) Start everything early.....get prepared in June. Narrow down a list of potential schools, email all professors you may be interested in to ensure that they are accepting students.

3) Start the personal statement early, and get it reviewed by a professor.

4) Mail your applications in at least a week before due date. If something can go wrong it will...so don't leave it until the last minute.

5) Have a backup plan.....if grad school is a must this year and you don't want to wait consider applying to non-clinical programs as well, including PsyD programs, masters programs, counseling programs, or other psych PhD programs.

6) Come here often....everyone is more than happy to help you!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

when looking at doctoral programs, try and find out the funding situation as soon as possible. I know I would saved money on applying to a few programs if I had known earlier of the poor funding situation.

Here are the three things I wish I had thought about while applying.

1) Taking a year off between undergraduate and graduate school. -- It is really stressful to have to take care of all of your application stuff while you are also having to take care of all of the stuff you need to do before you graduate. In addition, 22 consecutive years of school is kind of a drag; it would have been nice to have a year away from tests, papers, and classes.

2) Being more selective about programs I considered -- I think a lot of people worry too much about getting accepted to a program and too little about whether or not they should attend if accepted. Little things like the availability of professors or the difficulties faced by students in securing externships may not seem very important when you are an applicant, but they become extremely important when you are a student. I think it is better to reapply than torture yourself with a bad graduate program for five or six years.

3) Publishing something -- I had a lot of research experience but no publications. After having seen admissions work from the inside I now know that even a crappy publication goes a long way toward demonstrating that an applicant will be a productive researcher.

Members don't see this ad :)
I almost forgot. Here are two things I recommend future applicants avoid.

1) Don't say you want to incorporate both research and clinical work into your practice of psychology. Even if this happens to be true for you, everbody says this in interviews.

2) Don't piss off the grad students who host you for the interviews. They have a lot more influence regarding who is offered admission than you might expect (this is true even if the students claim to have no influence over who is offered admission).

If you are interested in research-oriented programs, it is critical that you review the work of the researchers in your desired area with whom you might like to work and then generate a list of schools initially from that group, rather than looking at schools in which you are interested and then identifying people at each school with whom you could work. At least start with the faculty researchers, and then evaluate the programs from there, ideally finding programs with good reputations and good funding in places where you'd like to live (or could stand to live for several years) with additional faculty whose work interests you.

Most people approach the process a little backwards, but you'll realize when interviewing that the research "fit" is crucial - the number-one factor for who gets interviewed and accepted, in my opinion, and where students decide to go. Those programs where you have a great fit most likely will be the ones interested in you anyway, so you might as well focus on the fit first.

Also, while it is important to have good grades and good test scores, given the competition for admission, do not waste a lot of time stressing about whether you got a 1250 or 1400 on the GRE, or that B- you got in Organic Chemistry - of course objective criteria matter in the big picture, but programs are not just picking those with the highest GRE and GPA - it really is a "whole package" assessment. Spend more time going in depth on your research activities and impressing your recommenders, and really soul-searching about what exactly you hope to accomplish in graduate school and what you want to do afterwards. It is an important step on a long career path, not just a competition for a desirable achievement, another "brass ring."

A parting suggestion - find a friend going through the same process and support each other through it. It may feel awkward at times, as it may seem that you are collaborating with the competition, but in the end, you will do each other a lot more good than going it alone, and it is unlikely you will be targeting the exact same professors at the same schools anyway, so you may not even be direct competitors. It is a very difficult process for applicants psychologically - so much doubt and uncertainty, the unpleasant prospect of being evaluated by strangers, and so many possible futures that you could have. Trust me, it will be much more tolerable if you have a comrade-in-arms with whom to share the experience.

Good luck!! :luck:

I completely agree regarding the clinical Ph.D. programs. The most important thing is to consider what type of program you would like to be a part of and go for it. You will be spending the next 4-5 years of your life at whatever program you choose, so be careful with your decisions. Don't dismiss Ph.D. programs because of their emphasis on research. By the same token, don't dismiss Psy.D. programs because they cost more. In the end, if you are dead-set on doing clinical work, it is worth it to go into some debt if it means being happier for the next 4-5 years of your life. Keep your options open and figure out what's important to you. Personally, I knew that a Psy.D. was better for me, so that's what I went for. I'm sure that others had different experiences.

Alot of my thoughts have already been posted by the previous posters, which I agree with their points. If you want to pursue a clinical career. I would try to get experience shadowing clinical psychologists, I think that this goes a long way with the admissions committee because most applicants do not have experience in this area. Also any work experience or volunteering in mental health hospitals, etc. is key to getting an edge on other applicants. I also agree with the others who said not to discount the PhD programs but do your research some programs are very clinically oriented while others are almost all research with just enough clinical to get you by.

well I tried posting a rather long rant, but it didn't go through, so here are the cliff notes:

1. Check out where the students at each program go on internship and post-doc. It will be important if you get in.

2. if you are offered funding, find out how stable the funding is.

3. Find out the average number of years to graduate (I've seen anywhere from 4-8 years). Also the attrition rate.

4. Talk to current grad students. In my opinion they were the ones who gave the most accurate picture of the program.

My best advice would be this: Take part in some serious introspection and apply to programs that you truly feel you will fit into. Don't let others (profs, advisors) convince you that you should be going in a certain direction if that is not where you really want to be. Figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life before you jump into the stressful process of applying.

Don't get caught up in the PsyD/PhD debate before you evaluate both routes as they would pertain to you. Some people fit better in one or the other, don't let a bunch of strangers make up your mind by listening to their OPINIONS!! Make up your own mind.

Lastly, when you are writing your personal statements, be honest and don't try to write what you think they want to hear. I wrote 3 safe statements, neither of them really expressing who I am. My one risky statement was sent (strongly against the advice of my advisor) to my top choice school and it was my one and only acceptance. You should take advice on some level, but this is your future and only you can make it happen.

Good luck everyone!

EL CAPeeeTAN said:
Alot of my thoughts have already been posted by the previous posters, which I agree with their points. If you want to pursue a clinical career. I would try to get experience shadowing clinical psychologists, I think that this goes a long way with the admissions committee because most applicants do not have experience in this area. Also any work experience or volunteering in mental health hospitals, etc. is key to getting an edge on other applicants. I also agree with the others who said not to discount the PhD programs but do your research some programs are very clinically oriented while others are almost all research with just enough clinical to get you by.

I totally agree. Try to spend time in different areas. See if you can work in a private practice office, even if it's only as a "receptionist". Follow a forensic psychologist to court. Spend time with a few "health psychologists" (the definition seems to vary). Try to spend time with researchers - they are base of the entire discipline. And for goodness' sake NEVER assume your academic mentors have their finger on the pulse of practice trends outside the ivory tower. They don't. I know it sounds like a lot, but the more you see before you enter the more informed your decisions will be. I sure wish I had......

I wrote a pretty good response to this thread, but it got swallowed up in the void somehow. Short version: Make a backup plan in case you don't get into any programs. Do it even if you think you don't have to. I know at this point, as you're taking the GRE and listing the great schools you want to go to and starting to undertake the overwhelming application process, it's hard to actually consider NOT getting in SOMEWHERE. However, as the rejection letter states "many qualified people are often turned away" due to...whatever. Take a few moments in the fall and consider your worst case scenario options: will you stay at your current job? will you have to get a job? would you rather get a job or go to a master's program? Look into what jobs are available in your area (or the area where you'll be next spring) and where you might apply. Pick out a couple of master's programs you might consider, gather the applications and see when they're due. Check out the Peace Corp or something. Nothing has to be set in stone, but at least get an idea of what your choices are. The point is that it's better to consider these options when you're feeling confident about yourself, than be stuck without any plan when you're depressed about not getting in anywhere.

Hi Everybody- This is my first post. Reading other peoples postings have been interesting and helpful, especially while I was enduring the app. process. Thanks!

I agree that all of the above advice is sound. Also, keep in mind that if you ask for people's opinions about degree options (PhD, PsyD, MA), most likely, they are going to be biased towards the degree that they have. I agree with previous advice to make the decision based on your own goals and some careful thought.

Although it is probably less stressful to take a year off for this process, if you do apply while still in school, don't panic, it is possible. Try to get as much done over the summer as possible, especially personal statements. And then just take it one step at a time to avoid being overwhelmed.

If you get invited to interview, make sure that you understand the goals and philosophy of the school, as well as info/interests about your interviewers and faculty with similar interests as yours.

Also, from personal experience, check out requirements and due dates more then once. Sometimes, old info is posted on websites.

If possible, apply to programs with a separate Master's and PhD programs. It provides a much easier escape after your Master's if you're not happy with the school after being there for a year or feel you need to widen your horizons.

Go to schools and supervisors that have money and will have money in the future. Period. (I will graduate with no debt - it is possible)

Don't limit yourself to a program that sticks to only one school of therapy even though you may think that psychodynamically-oriented play therapy is your dream orientation. Graduate school should expose you to different techniques and modalities even though you may decide to specialize down the road....

Otherwise, publish, publish, publish, publish.

1) Take time off after undergrad and work as a research assistant on a research study. Even if you are doing only data entry twice a week, it will help your app to be able to discuss what you learned from that experience in your personal statement and your interviews. It will also expose you to the less glamorous side of psychology.

2) I wouldn't necessarily shadow psychologists unless you want to do this for your own information. This probably won't look as impressive in an application as actually working with a psychologist or even a social worker who deals with mentally ill clients. You can get these experiences through volunterring even once a week and it dramatically boosts your app if it provides you with some details to through into your statement or interview.

3) Avoid saying you are interested in private practice. PhD programs are very heavily invested in their students and are looking to accept students who they feel will contribute to the field of psychological science. Emphasize this in your application.

I don't think it's bad to say you are interested in the integration of clinical practice and research....even though "everyone says this in their interview" it's what Clinical Psychology is all about! If you are wary about saying it, use more details from your own experience to show how you have accomplished this in your own experience. for example: I worked with schizophrenics, and I was a research assistant on a drug trial study for treatment of schizophrenia.

4) Apply to many schools....but only ones where you would actually go if you were accepted only to that school.

5) Make contact with professors early in the game (think September) and then stay in touch with them throughout the application process. By the time you meet them at interview day, they will feel like they already have established a relationship with you.

6) If you work after undergrad, try to get a job in an area of research that really appeals to you. This way when you apply, you can talk about how your experience is relevant to the professor's current research. This makes you a much more desireable candidate. Also, the people you are working with may actually know or collaborate with the professors you are applying to, which is very worthwhile in your recommendation letters.

Good Luck!