csx

May 8, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
These are just my opinions, take it with a grain of salt.

1. Spring 14 classes (how many credits) to prove self academically? I'd say 12-14 so you can save some money (because you have finance issues) and have more time to do better in your classes while having more time to study for the MCAT.
2. When to study/take MCAT? During the spring if you take less classes.
3. When to fill out apps/what year to apply? (I would like to matriculate Fall 2015). You must apply this summer to matriculate fall 2015. Application submission June 1st (or something, I just know early june)
4. Do informal postbacc (Spring 14 classes) or formal postbacc (Maybe Fall 15-Summer 16) or do one at all? Not sure
5. Loan repayment starts May 2014. Not sure
6. When to work + gain more clinical experience? Whenever, don't stress it too much as long as you have gained meaningful experience and have a fair amount of hours.

Pre-med advisor suggested I take 3-4 classes Spring 2014 while studying MCAT, but financial situation may not pan out well. Also, if I only committed Spring 2014 to MCAT and did well, would I need to take more classes? Some schools may tell you or acceptance is dependent on taking a few additional classes. If you would like to redo/take some more classes, do it to boost your GPA.

csx

May 8, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
However, I am asking if I should take Spring 2014 classes at all.
There are many ways to skin a cat.

I feel like taking classes on the side would push me back to July-Sept MCAT which is already late for the upcoming cycle. I think you can do this as you have to remember, there are juniors (who obviously don't have all their classes done) applying.

I know in relative terms of when to apply (a year before you matriculate), but don't know when as in should I apply for 15 or 16' cycle given that I may need to push MCAT back and take additional classes, IF I need to do that.
If I understand you correctly, you should apply ASAP, whether you have completed the classes and or taken the MCAT or not as I believe you are able to make note on the application that your scores are still coming in. Some schools will pend your application till they see your scores (usually just the MCAT to my understanding).

I don't know if I need to take more classes, when to take the MCAT, etc..
Just take enough classes for you to graduate, in my opinion, and if you got the $, retake some classes. As for MCAT, going with SN2 and taking in May is probs the best plan of action as you can apply and sub your application early with out it having to pend (for the MCAT). If you perform poorly, you still have time to retake the MCAT before 2015 when it changes.

Elevencents

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2011
Status
As far as the MCAT is concerned, I took 3 science classes in the spring and started studying for the MCAT in March alongside class, work and volunteering. Once classes were over I still had a month to focus solely on practice tests before my exam in June. I was still among the first batch of interviews after being complete in July. Wouldn't change a thing with how I did it.