Advice for gaining direction on choosing specialty.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future Dr. Flannel

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to SDN, but I am a current OMS-II student and I was just curious on if anyone has advice about how to go about determining specialties and how to know what to go into?

I know a lot is determined by board scores, extracurricular activities, and grades, but I literally have no clue what field of medicine most interests me, while my classmates all seem to know exactly what field they are trying to get into.

I was like this going into college I had ideas of what I wanted to do, but never had a set interest and now I ended up here haha...but if anyone has any words of advice about how to go about finding that one field of interest on rotations or during year two I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am new to SDN, but I am a current OMS-II student and I was just curious on if anyone has advice about how to go about determining specialties and how to know what to go into?

I know a lot is determined by board scores, extracurricular activities, and grades, but I literally have no clue what field of medicine most interests me, while my classmates all seem to know exactly what field they are trying to get into.

I was like this going into college I had ideas of what I wanted to do, but never had a set interest and now I ended up here haha...but if anyone has any words of advice about how to go about finding that one field of interest on rotations or during year two I would greatly appreciate it!
Don’t worry about this now you will figure it out in 3rd year. If you want to do something competitive, start doing research in that field ASAP..

Honestly that’s such a waste of time to stress about. Cuz if I score crap on boards + go to a DO school —> family med (+ other uncompetitive specialties)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Med students still shadow.

Start with the surgery/medicine split and then go from there. As your app rounds out you'll figure out which of your interests your competitive for, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Med students still shadow.

Start with the surgery/medicine split and then go from there. As your app rounds out you'll figure out which of your interests your competitive for, etc.

Which can then be further split into no life surgery/ has a life surgery/ medicine/ less medicine/ no medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
As an M3, note what patients and topics are interesting to you. What topics are you researching on your own? Cards, pulm, endocrine, rheumatology? Does the OR fascinate you? Would you like to do procedures? Want to be there when the trauma rolls in? These are all questions that might start you on your journey. Try to get involved in research early. Research doesn't necessarily need to be in the field you eventually choose. Case reports are better than no research. Try to merge what topics interest you into the specialty you choose. Good luck and best wishes.

Most medical students change their mind in 3rd year so everyone "knowing" what they want to do should mean absolutely nothing to you.

Reactions: 2 users
I changed what I planned to pursue as each rotation came and went. Just keep an open mind as you progress.

I was about a month out from ERAS being due before I decided. You have time

I was about a month out from ERAS being due before I decided. You have time
So, I constantly see people say this and I know technically it's true since ERAS is still far away, but our school expects us to start scheduling auditions and what not for next year by this December. So.....I feel like I have to decide now and I'm not having any of the rotations I'm interested in until after December lol

So, I constantly see people say this and I know technically it's true since ERAS is still far away, but our school expects us to start scheduling auditions and what not for next year by this December. So.....I feel like I have to decide now and I'm not having any of the rotations I'm interested in until after December lol
Doesn’t VSAS typically open in February of next year!? How are y’all scheduling auditions in December unless it’s only auditions at core sites through the school?!

Doesn’t VSAS typically open in February of next year!? How are y’all scheduling auditions in December unless it’s only auditions at core sites through the school?!

A lot of DO places don't use VSAS.

Yeah so i scheduled the multiple specialties i was interested in early fourth year and figured it out from there lol

• Haha
Do not rely on VSAS.

This is something that should be told to students day one of 3rd year. It’ll take your money for the most part and it’s really low yield. Its business tactics has GIMPEL written all over it.

Reactions: 1 users
Focus on your studies and forget that for now. You will probably change your mind more than once.

I started med-school with the idea of going into Neurosurgery (ahahaha, a classic). Wanted to go into Path after preclinical years. Then in clinical years I considered Ob/Gyn, Derm, Peds, Critical Care, EM, Rheum/Immunology, Heme (without Onc, ugh), Public Health.

Went into Genetics, loved the lab/research but hated the clinical part, so I ditched it. It was 3 years after I finished med-school when I decided to go into Psych. That's were I am now, PGY1.

Just learn what you can from every rotation to become a well-rounded physician. Don't focus on one thing, you might end up somewhere different and miss other opportunities. Keep an open mind.

Like other posters mentioned. After a few rotations you will have an idea if you want to go into something surgical/medical/"other?". Then you can start narrowing it down

Hi everyone,

For the most part, your classmates just googled salaries and then convinced themselves that’s what they wanted. The surgical types are the occasional exception to this rule.

Reactions: 5 users
For the most part, your classmates just googled salaries and then convinced themselves that’s what they wanted. The surgical types are the occasional exception to this rule.
My favorite people are the surgery or bust types that have never had a job hahaha. It still makes me giggle.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
My favorite people are the surgery or bust types that have never had a job hahaha. It still makes me giggle.
Hey I mean some of them really do go all the way and love every second of it to be fair. But most of those folks are just in love with the idea of everyone thinking they’re a big deal and dont realize that no one cares.

Reactions: 9 users