Advice for heme-onc fellowship application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflowers91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am an AMG resident who is interested in hematology oncology fellowship. I am interested in applying for fellowship with the goal of practicing academic hematology oncology and would like to go into a mid-upper to upper tier program with strong research. I wanted to get some advice from those who have been through the process regarding putting together a strong application, and how to best optimize my chances. I went to a top tier med school and am at a mid tier IM residency. I have had substantial research experience: I have 7 publications (most are basic/translational research, some in onc but not all, but mostly coauthor, a few 1st author papers, and one of which is in a high impact journal), and 5 posters/oral presentations at national conferences. My step scores were okay (step 1 >230s, step 2> 250s). I have thus far done very well and gotten overall very positive feedback from my clinical rotations. I anticipate having good letters, including a strong one from a very well known faculty member. I am nervous because I know hematology oncology is increasingly competitive, especially in programs that are strong for research. I wanted to hear some advice from what kind of research or experiences may strengthen my application. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am an AMG resident who is interested in hematology oncology fellowship. I am interested in applying for fellowship with the goal of practicing academic hematology oncology and would like to go into a mid-upper to upper tier program with strong research. I wanted to get some advice from those who have been through the process regarding putting together a strong application, and how to best optimize my chances. I went to a top tier med school and am at a mid tier IM residency. I have had substantial research experience: I have 7 publications (most are basic/translational research, some in onc but not all, but mostly coauthor, a few 1st author papers, and one of which is in a high impact journal), and 5 posters/oral presentations at national conferences. My step scores were okay (step 1 >230s, step 2> 250s). I have thus far done very well and gotten overall very positive feedback from my clinical rotations. I anticipate having good letters, including a strong one from a very well known faculty member. I am nervous because I know hematology oncology is increasingly competitive, especially in programs that are strong for research. I wanted to hear some advice from what kind of research or experiences may strengthen my application. Thanks.

Your app appears quite strong but I do have some questions;

1) will you be applying in a specific geographic location?

2) I assume you’re applying this year, ie you’re a newly minted 3rd year?

3) how much of your research was during residency?

4) does your residency have a highly regarded hem/onc program?

Hem/onc fellowship is very competitive at the top, as you obviously seem to know already. Steps are good enough, done need anything crazy for fellowship (at least h/o). You should do quite well barring any red flags.

Your app appears quite strong but I do have some questions;

1) will you be applying in a specific geographic location?

2) I assume you’re applying this year, ie you’re a newly minted 3rd year?

3) how much of your research was during residency?

4) does your residency have a highly regarded hem/onc program?

Hem/onc fellowship is very competitive at the top, as you obviously seem to know already. Steps are good enough, done need anything crazy for fellowship (at least h/o). You should do quite well barring any red flags.

1. I am open geographically but preferably in a larger city
2. I am applying next year
3. I did a lot of it during medical school and my one gap year
4. It's mid tier academic institute with a NCI designated cancer center, and I will be doing some research this year

Members don't see this ad :)
1. I am open geographically but preferably in a larger city
2. I am applying next year (new PGY2)
3. I did a lot of it during medical school and my one gap year
4. It's mid tier academic institute with a NCI designated cancer center, and I will be doing some research there this year

To be honest, being an AMG is already big plus for your application. I don’t think you should worry, your package is strong enough to go to an academic center. My 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user