Advice for heme-onc fellowship application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sunflowers91

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I am an AMG resident who is interested in hematology oncology fellowship. I am interested in applying for fellowship with the goal of practicing academic hematology oncology and would like to go into a mid-upper to upper tier program with strong research. I wanted to get some advice from those who have been through the process regarding putting together a strong application, and how to best optimize my chances. I went to a top tier med school and am at a mid tier IM residency. I have had substantial research experience: I have 7 publications (most are basic/translational research, some in onc but not all, but mostly coauthor, a few 1st author papers, and one of which is in a high impact journal), and 5 posters/oral presentations at national conferences. My step scores were okay (step 1 >230s, step 2> 250s). I have thus far done very well and gotten overall very positive feedback from my clinical rotations. I anticipate having good letters, including a strong one from a very well known faculty member. I am nervous because I know hematology oncology is increasingly competitive, especially in programs that are strong for research. I wanted to hear some advice from what kind of research or experiences may strengthen my application. Thanks.
 
Hi,
I am an AMG resident who is interested in hematology oncology fellowship. I am interested in applying for fellowship with the goal of practicing academic hematology oncology and would like to go into a mid-upper to upper tier program with strong research. I wanted to get some advice from those who have been through the process regarding putting together a strong application, and how to best optimize my chances. I went to a top tier med school and am at a mid tier IM residency. I have had substantial research experience: I have 7 publications (most are basic/translational research, some in onc but not all, but mostly coauthor, a few 1st author papers, and one of which is in a high impact journal), and 5 posters/oral presentations at national conferences. My step scores were okay (step 1 >230s, step 2> 250s). I have thus far done very well and gotten overall very positive feedback from my clinical rotations. I anticipate having good letters, including a strong one from a very well known faculty member. I am nervous because I know hematology oncology is increasingly competitive, especially in programs that are strong for research. I wanted to hear some advice from what kind of research or experiences may strengthen my application. Thanks.


Your app appears quite strong but I do have some questions;

1) will you be applying in a specific geographic location?

2) I assume you’re applying this year, ie you’re a newly minted 3rd year?

3) how much of your research was during residency?

4) does your residency have a highly regarded hem/onc program?


Hem/onc fellowship is very competitive at the top, as you obviously seem to know already. Steps are good enough, done need anything crazy for fellowship (at least h/o). You should do quite well barring any red flags.
 
Your app appears quite strong but I do have some questions;

1) will you be applying in a specific geographic location?

2) I assume you’re applying this year, ie you’re a newly minted 3rd year?

3) how much of your research was during residency?

4) does your residency have a highly regarded hem/onc program?


Hem/onc fellowship is very competitive at the top, as you obviously seem to know already. Steps are good enough, done need anything crazy for fellowship (at least h/o). You should do quite well barring any red flags.


1. I am open geographically but preferably in a larger city
2. I am applying next year
3. I did a lot of it during medical school and my one gap year
4. It's mid tier academic institute with a NCI designated cancer center, and I will be doing some research this year
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. I am open geographically but preferably in a larger city
2. I am applying next year (new PGY2)
3. I did a lot of it during medical school and my one gap year
4. It's mid tier academic institute with a NCI designated cancer center, and I will be doing some research there this year
 
To be honest, being an AMG is already big plus for your application. I don’t think you should worry, your package is strong enough to go to an academic center. My 2 cents.