Advice for incoming MS1s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chitown82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If there was one thing you wish you would have gotten a head start on before beginning your MS1, what would it be? Doing a lil basic anatomy? reading a particular book?

I plan on travelling and spending time with friends and family this sumer, but I'm sure I can devote a few hours each week to some prep. What would you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

chitown82 said:
If there was one thing you wish you would have gotten a head start on before beginning your MS1, what would it be? Doing a lil basic anatomy? reading a particular book?

I plan on travelling and spending time with friends and family this sumer, but I'm sure I can devote a few hours each week to some prep. What would you recommend?

No! No studying. Do the travelling and the friends and family, NO STUDYING. It won't help and you'll have MORE than enough studying to do come August.

Save up some money so that you can treat yourself to a nice dinner or vacation every now and then without having to dip into your measly student budget.

Members don't see this ad :)
missmod said:
Save up some money so that you can treat yourself to a nice dinner or vacation every now and then without having to dip into your measly student budget.

I didn't realize the importance of this until now! Don't put that trip to Alaska that you've been wanting to go on on your credit card a month before you start med school. It's impossible to pay off on a student budget and you cannot get more money for credit card debts. Having a little extra money to do the things that really make you happy (like a nice dinner every once in a while or taking a class outside of med school...like dance :)) is so important.

chitown82 said:

NOT PREPPING!

Let me put it this way... how could you possibly know what to focus on? This changes from class to school to professor.

This topic has been discussed alot in other threads so you may want to look at them too. I would definitely enjoy your free time while you have it. If you really want to study, try to find a current M1 at the school you will going to and have them tell you some things to look at.

thanks for the responses. looks like i won't be doing any prepping before school starts. i just got into one of my top choices so i think i'm just in that "now that im in i want to rock my first year of med school" phase. knowing me however, i'll probably do nothing more than continue my work in lab, sleep, and hang out.

Don't forget to drink....MS1 is much more fun if you are a raging alcoholic
:)

That medical school is more like high school than college. You will be taking about 8 classes at a time and you will have to know a lot of trivial details about each subject as opposed to deep theoretical and complex theories that you investiga i.e. college.

So, unlike college, you really have to be disciplined. You can't just attend classes in the morning and nap in the afternoon any longer. You have to study a little everyday too. you can't just cram the weekend or even a few days before the exam.

Get into a schedule. Wake up at the same time everyday and set a study schedule every day. That will pay off enormously.

Also, get to know your classmates and be sociable. medical school is a lot easier when you have a lot of friends and a good support system. Develop the kind of friends you can study with and drink with at the same time. This means be friendly and make the first move when meeting people. Don't expect people to come to you.

two words...bio chem...the most painful two words in the first year's vocabulary.

SoulRFlare said:
two words...bio chem...the most painful two words in the first year's vocabulary.
:scared: they are sticking us with biochem now, more than halfway thru 1st year. i really wish i had some background in it... med school really wasn't bad up until now and all we have left is biochem and immuno.

My advice: do absolutely nothing. Enjoy your time off before the reality of medical school hits. Maybe get a job you enjoy (key word: enjoy) to save up some money to offset any unforseen expenses, but other than that, loaf around and be a bum.

dude, go drink and relax...

Members don't see this ad :)
SoulRFlare said:
couldn't agree more. that class has to be the worst class ever invented. i think that every medical student through the ama should petition to have it removed from the curriculum. most of the minutia is something that we could do without.

don't listen to these slackers. read robbins cover to cover starting now and you will ace boards, match into rads, and live happy. just read the rads forum for more evidence.

So said:
I have to disagree. I found that when I try to study every day by the time it gets to test time I don't remember anything I studied earlier in the week so I have to do it all over again.

My solution has been to not study for about a week and a half and spend that time going to class in the morning, taking naps, and hanging out with friends. Then I cram for the exams and that seems to work just fine.

chitown82 said:

1) Go to your eye doctor and update your prescriptions, and get good strong glasses if needed. Studying becomes really hard when you have a pounding headache because your glasses are 3 years old, and you don't have time to get new ones. That also means don't study this summer - you don't want to tire out your eyes any earlier than necessary. Or your brain, for that matter.

2) If you'll be going to school in a city that you've never lived in before, try to ask around and find a good primary care doctor, dentist, hairdresser, and grocer.

3) Buy a punching bag, to relieve stress.

That's all. Good luck!

I would HAVE FUN!!! Buy needed books at your school's book sale (don't buy them at bookstores)... heck I got Grant's Atlas and Robbins for $5 each. I don't know about most people but most people at my school didn't even go to class (like me) during the first two years of medical school.... so you have plenty of time to chill, hang-out, heck... I was trying to get a full-time job (some reason nobody will hire me... I must of interviewed at 20 places, oh well)... make sure you get a good alarm to wake you up for exams though... I ignored mine and came to a 4-hour exam with only 1-hour left :rolleyes:

EvilNewbie said:
I would HAVE FUN!!! Buy needed books at your school's book sale (don't buy them at bookstores)... heck I got Grant's Atlas and Robbins for $5 each. I don't know about most people but most people at my school didn't even go to class (like me) during the first two years of medical school.... so you have plenty of time to chill, hang-out, heck... I was trying to get a full-time job (some reason nobody will hire me... I must of interviewed at 20 places, oh well)... make sure you get a good alarm to wake you up for exams though... I ignored mine and came to a 4-hour exam with only 1-hour left :rolleyes:

dang, i hope everything worked out with that exam!

chitown82 said:
dang, i hope everything worked out with that exam!

Oh, it did, I am a 4th year about to find out where I will match this march. So everything worked out fine... hehehe.... :laugh:

TheRussian said:
I have to disagree. I found that when I try to study every day by the time it gets to test time I don't remember anything I studied earlier in the week so I have to do it all over again.

My solution has been to not study for about a week and a half and spend that time going to class in the morning, taking naps, and hanging out with friends. Then I cram for the exams and that seems to work just fine.

Everyone definitely has their own style of studying, and there's definitely is not one way to do it and be successful. Some people have to study consistently each day, some are able to get by with cramming more towards the end. Whatever works for you... However I dont' think you can totally ignore studying at all until the week before a test and expect to be at the top of your class. Unless you're some sort of weird genius with a photographic memory....

As a non-science major, I wished I had had a stronger background of biochem, immuno, and cell bio. You might want to talk to the people at your school, though, as this is probably pretty curriculum specific. Some schools don't ever teach you cell bio, you're just expected to pick it up... in which case, you might want to pick it up before you start.

Anka

dmk724 said:
1) Go to your eye doctor and update your prescriptions, and get good strong glasses if needed. Studying becomes really hard when you have a pounding headache because your glasses are 3 years old, and you don't have time to get new ones. That also means don't study this summer - you don't want to tire out your eyes any earlier than necessary. Or your brain, for that matter.

2) If you'll be going to school in a city that you've never lived in before, try to ask around and find a good primary care doctor, dentist, hairdresser, and grocer.

3) Buy a punching bag, to relieve stress.

That's all. Good luck!
hahahaha. awesome

chitown82 said:

Yeah, rethink going into medicine. I'm serious. I'm currently in my third year and simply in too deep to ****ing get out at this point. I don't plan on doing a residency, so hopefully I'll find some use for my M.D. that doesn't require practicing.

Hoo\/er said:
Yeah, rethink going into medicine. I'm serious. I'm currently in my third year and simply in too deep to ****ing get out at this point. I don't plan on doing a residency, so hopefully I'll find some use for my M.D. that doesn't require practicing.
you've got to be kidding

In response to the OP: My best advice to you is to be as lazy as theoretically possible in the forthcoming months, because medical school (if you're an intellectual mortal like the vast majority of medical students--myself included) will CONSUME your life. Studying biochem, anatomy, or whatever beforehand is a total waste of time.

99% of medical students who matriculate will earn an MD--the vast majority of med students survive and adapt to the rigors of professional school, just as you will.

So relax and enjoy the next 5 months of your life!

Hoo\/er said:

dang, sorry med schools sucks so bad for you man. what in particular don't you like? what school do you go to?

Surgeonizer said:
In response to the OP: My best advice to you is to be as lazy as theoretically possible in the forthcoming months, because medical school (if you're an intellectual mortal like the vast majority of medical students--myself included) will CONSUME your life. Studying biochem, anatomy, or whatever beforehand is a total waste of time.

99% of medical students who matriculate will earn an MD--the vast majority of med students survive and adapt to the rigors of professional school, just as you will.

I agree. Studying the summer before med school is such a waste of time. Take it easy and do something you really enjoy. It's one of the last few times in your life you get a prolonged summer vacation.

icebrat001 said:
you've got to be kidding

At least he's honest about it. Medicine is not for everyone and most of you won't really know how you feel about it until third year. I happen to like medicine and medical school but I can see how some people might discover that they don't.

Let's face it, some people do not like doing manual disimpactions. (I know, it's hard to believe. Please don't flame me.)

Surgeonizer said:

Here here! You'll learn enough when you get to school.

I'm in the same boat as Hoover. I'd probably quit if I didn't have all these loans hanging over my head. Unfortunately it's close to impossible to really get a feel for medicine unless your already in school. Shadowing docs just shows you the good side of medicine, a side you won't see for 7-11 years depending on what you go into.