advice for low DAT scores:(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lauralynn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okk, so reading previous posts has only discouraged me. I took my DAT’s June 18th and scores are as follows:

PA: 19
QR: 15
RC: 16
Bio: 18
GC: 19
OC: 19
Total Sci: 18
AA: 17

I studied with Kaplan materials and overlooked the math and reading (to say the least). I feel confident I can perform better in these areas, but am concerned my sciences could decrease. I also found the preparation and testing to be an exhausting experience I don’t want to repeat- not to sound lazy. I am not trying to go to the best of the best dental school, but am now wondering if it is realistic I can get into ANY dental school. I have plenty of dental experience and GPA is in competitive range. How do schools view DAT scores, average the first and second scores, are RC and QR not that important, do I even have enough time (the soonest DAT date would be Sept. 18). Any input would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

The 15 in QR won't look good, try to get a 17 and you'll make the cut-off. That's all you need for that section.

AA should be 19+ if you want a good shot of getting in somewhere. To do this I would work on the RC section. You got a 16 which isn't too great. You need to improve that definitely. Try this:

Improve by just 1 point in all the sciences (+3 total).
Improve by 2 points in QR (+2 total).
Improve by 3 points in RC (+3 total).

Now you have competitive science scores, a good enough QR score, and a good looking RC score. On top of that, your AA will increase to a 19.

your math score is low, even though it is probably the least important score of all the sections. the math score is low enough to hold you back from hearing back from dental schools. as far as the reading sections, some schools put more emphasis on that part than others. their rationale is that there is a heavy load of reading in dental school. if you can't read info and get something out of it and retain information (answering questions), then that could be a glaring issue for your success in dental school. and like the person above me said, improve all your sciences by 1 point each and you should be good to go! goodluck!

I personally would retake from what I've read/heard.

You can do better. Just push yourself, its worth it. Sept is not sooooo late, you have plenty of time to guarantee your sciences will improve.

Study math hard and practice every single day..... Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Two scores below 17 is a red flag...

I would buy Achiever, Top Score, Destroyer, study your butt off and get a 22+

hard work pays off, that's what Im doing.

Not trying to put you down or anything... but when I read your thread... I get a feeling you trying to lazy-out from improving your application....

Why don't you re-study the material once again, your sciences are in good shape, you just need some study time on QR and do a BUNCH of science reading every day (science magazines are a good start).... You'll improve both sections and will make your application better.

Yeah I don't know what people are saying, an 18 in Bio is good with two 19's in the chems.....just get those RC and QR up a few and you're fine...good luck