Advice for M1 (3rd parties, grades)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

breadbubble

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a first year medical student who scores a B/B+ average on our in-house exams.
While I recognize this is not failing, I would really like to get an A- or A in the future.
I mix between our class deck's in-house anki, Anki King, and sketchy. Some B&B when possible as well.

I was wondering if you all suggest buying Usmle Rx, Amboss Qb, or starting Uworld early for practice questions? My next block is about cardio and pulm. Any general advice for scoring better would be greatlly appreciated.

Thanks all! Happy holidays.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on how your school does exams. If your school is trying to replicate step questions, then those resources would be great but I feel like most school exams are more tailored to what the school wants you to know. (Pharm for instance, some drugs are really hit hard in school and those drugs aren't even listed in any step prep). So you might be hammering good step material but missing the mark on your in school stuff. Save Uworld for when it gets closer to step 1 time since thats the gold standard as far as qbanks go. We had scholar rx given to us and its okay but again, they hammer more step stuff and your school might cover more specific material thats important to them for some reason.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd say if you are B/B+ then you are doing the right things. I'd actually not spend more time studying and would spend more focus on living your life (gym, friends, etc) as that will be worth more in the long run in keeping you ready to succeed when they turn up the heat.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Do well preclinical and enjoy yourself so you are healthy and happy when you enter into clinicals and really need to buckle down and crush material during long hours. Don't burn yourself out now on the material that doesn't really matter. MS3/MS4 all the material is extremely relevant to practice / skill.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the advice above. B+ range is doing well, particularly if your school has an unranked pre-clinical curriculum.

Work hard, but also enjoy your life. Continue the mix of in-house material with 3rd party resources, and increase the latter as you start 2nd year and get closer to the step exam.

Disagree with above - best way to practice for tests is by practice questions to see how material is tested. uWorld is the best q-bank, followed by Amboss. USMLE-Rx is a distant third.

Reactions: 1 user
I made basically straight As M1 year doing exactly what you're doing, and trying to memorize my professor's ppt slides right before exams. But I was working like 90 hours a week. QBanks are a nice addition, sure, doesn't really matter which one (UWorld for step, but it's a bit early to start that). You might be missing questions about esoteric things your professors want you to know, try to focus more on that stuff maybe.

This semester I've worked more like 50-60 hours a week because my new wife (yay!) and I have been arguing as newly married people do about the fact I work too much. Made low Bs and high Cs, didn't do my Anki, just paid attention in class and reviewed what I could.

Like others have said, it depends on your school. Your school may not match up with what's on your boards at all (which ironically means you should really double down on UFAPS so you don't fail step, even if your grades aren't perfect).

Do you want to be a dermatologist? Like Goro said, you're doing absolutely fine. Unless you want to do a neurodermatology residency at harvard or something, but there's a reason those med students are absurdly stressed constantly.

Something you might have to also accept (I had to) is that you may not be quite genius enough to make an A on every single med school exam you take. I could work 90 hours a week and get perfect As, but my wife would divorce me. Or I could just do 50-60 hours, make Bs and Cs, and be a happily married, you know, doctor.

Reactions: 2 users
Something you might have to also accept (I had to) is that you may not be quite genius enough to make an A on every single med school exam you take. I could work 90 hours a week and get perfect As, but my wife would divorce me. Or I could just do 50-60 hours, make Bs and Cs, and be a happily married, you know, doctor.
Marriage is temporary, matching dermatopathology at Harvard is forever.

/s

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I appreciate this supportive community so much. No I don't want to do dermatology, neuro, plastics, nor ortho.

It seems like Uworld I should save for dedicated / later in 2nd year.

Yeah as many people said here, my professors are very in-house oriented and highlight specific points. We are starting a new block next semester with new professors so I'll try to see what they focus on for exams. Its hard going from getting all A's in undergrad to B+ish in med school ...I recognize the material volume is completely different though.

Congrats to @Hollow Knight for the marriage <3 I feel similar in that I want to live my life and prevent burnout as much as possible....but also do well. It's def a tough balance but overall I'm really enjoying med school and just want to keep trying my best. I live by the beach and feel like I should spend more breaks enjoying it. So thanks.

Moving forward, I am going to attend more to my professor slides. Do Anki for those lecture slides, then do sketchy on the weekends for the relevant material and boards and beyond. I guess don't buy any question banks? Our med school gives us a nbme-style question bank that's ok.

Thanks so much guys and happy holidays to all :) :). I can't express how grateful I was to come on to so many messages.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user