Advice for med school apps requested

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Worried All the time

Reaction score
Hi,

I applied this cycle to 9 schools and have had no luck thus far. I submitted primary July 30th, was complete for CMU and Wayne in early and mid-October, respectively. For other schools I was complete in mid to late November, and two schools in December.

My stats are 3.5 gpa and 510 MCAT. Im ORM and a Michigan resident. I have ECs, volunteering, medical work, etc.

I understand I was "late" but fell into a trap of thinking COVID had resulted in a bit more leniency with deadlines. I had no choice but to take my MCAT in September because I was not getting the score I wanted.

Im somewhere between "am I not good enough" or "was I not given a proper look due to the chaos of this cycle."

Any advice would be appreciated as Im debating what I should do.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I applied this cycle to 9 schools and have had no luck thus far. I submitted primary July 30th, was complete for CMU and Wayne in early and mid-October, respectively. For other schools I was complete in mid to late November, and two schools in December.

My stats are 3.5 gpa and 510 MCAT. Im ORM and a Michigan resident. I have ECs, volunteering, medical work, etc.

I understand I was "late" but fell into a trap of thinking COVID had resulted in a bit more leniency with deadlines. I had no choice but to take my MCAT in September because I was not getting the score I wanted.

Im somewhere between "am I not good enough" or "was I not given a proper look due to the chaos of this cycle."

Any advice would be appreciated as Im debating what I should do.

With those stats, you should have applied to at least 15-20 schools. Your GPA is below the mean and median for matriculants. Your MCAT score is also around average. It isn't impossible to get into an allopathic program with those stats (plenty of students do it every year), but your best odds are to apply earlier in the cycle so there are more interview slots to compete for. Applying late in the cycle probably hurt you a lot.

1. Reapply next cycle. Have everything submitted by mid summer.
2. Continue working on clinical hours and volunteering. Use the gap year to improve your application.
3. Is your GPA symmetric? Is your science GPA also a 3.5? If you can ace a few more sciences courses it might help, but you probably be better off with time spent on activities in #2.
4. Do you think your MCAT score reflects your abilities? Most ORM are going to want a 512-513 at least. If there is a realistic chance of improving your MCAT score by at least 3 points, I'd go for it. With that said, this can also be a risky strategy as your score could also go down. What were your scores in each section?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
1) You should have had DO schools on your list.

2) No, COVID didn't provide any slack. Apps are up anywhere from 20-40% this year. You were really late.

3) You might get an II tomorrow or in March.

4) In the mean time, rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them

5) Bulk up whatever ECs you're lacking in.

6) Your MCAT score is fine. Do NOT retake!!!!!

Target these schools:
Tufts
Nova MD
U WI
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B and all other MI schools
Seton Hall
TCU/UNT

Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You were really, really late pure and simple. It’s not that you aren’t good enough or that you weren’t given a good look. You were really late, especially your secondaries. Since you didn’t have a MCAT score when you applied in July you probably should have put off applying for a year. As has been stated above your stats are average->below average. And since we don’t know what your ECs are we can only speculate on reasons for no interviews. As @Goro said, you might still get an interview but start making plans for a reapplication. Rework your PS and essays, think about your LORs. Are you sure they are very strong. And yes research DO schools. Your stats are very competitive for DO schools and they should be on your list. Be ready to apply the day the application systems open.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
With those stats, you should have applied to at least 15-20 schools. Your GPA is below the mean and median for matriculants. Your MCAT score is also around average. It isn't impossible to get into an allopathic program with those stats (plenty of students do it every year), but your best odds are to apply earlier in the cycle so there are more interview slots to compete for. Applying late in the cycle probably hurt you a lot.

1. Reapply next cycle. Have everything submitted by mid summer.
2. Continue working on clinical hours and volunteering. Use the gap year to improve your application.
3. Is your GPA symmetric? Is your science GPA also a 3.5? If you can ace a few more sciences courses it might help, but you probably be better off with time spent on activities in #2.
4. Do you think your MCAT score reflects your abilities? Most ORM are going to want a 512-513 at least. If there is a realistic chance of improving your MCAT score by at least 3 points, I'd go for it. With that said, this can also be a risky strategy as your score could also go down. What were your scores in each section?
Thanks! I scored 512 and 513 on my last two AAMC practice tests. My MCAT score was CP127 CARs 126 BIO 128 PS 129. I couldn't sleep at all the night before my exam. I have the stamina to take it again but do not want to risk my score going down due to nerves.

Fortunately, I have found new volunteer opportunities in place of previous ones which have been halted.

Last edited:
1) You should have had DO schools on your list.

2) No, COVID didn't provide any slack. Apps are up anywhere from 20-40% this year. You were really late.

3) You might get an II tomorrow or in March.

4) In the mean time, rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them

5) Bulk up whatever ECs you're lacking in.

6) Your MCAT score is fine. Do NOT retake!!!!!

Target these schools:
Tufts
Nova MD
U WI
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B and all other MI schools
Seton Hall
TCU/UNT

Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites.
Many thanks for the advice and the list of schools! Will be applying EARLY to both MD/DO this coming cycle if this cycle is a bust!

I do not think I will retake the MCAT. I know I can do better but getting a score I was OK with was my goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You were really, really late pure and simple. It’s not that you aren’t good enough or that you weren’t given a good look. You were really late, especially your secondaries. Since you didn’t have a MCAT score when you applied in July you probably should have put off applying for a year. As has been stated above your stats are average->below average. And since we don’t know what your ECs are we can only speculate on reasons for no interviews. As @Goro said, you might still get an interview but start making plans for a reapplication. Rework your PS and essays, think about your LORs. Are you sure they are very strong. And yes research DO schools. Your stats are very competitive for DO schools and they should be on your list. Be ready to apply the day the application systems open.
Thanks for the advice! I have typical ECs (volunteering, research,medical job).

If nothing works, Im very much looking forward to submitting as early as possible. Will start working on essays now since May/June is approaching. I will apply both MD/DO this coming cycle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I have typical ECs (volunteering, research,medical job).

If nothing works, Im very much looking forward to submitting as early as possible. Will start working on essays now since May/June is approaching. I will apply both MD/DO this coming cycle.
Only apply DO if you will attend a DO school if it’s your only acceptance. If you won’t attend a DO school don’t waste your time/money and the School’s time/money. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want MD, you should apply like at least 25 schools next time. Stats aren't bad, but you're on the lower end so you really have to shotgun and not be too picky. Speaking from experience.

Reactions: 1 user