Advice for MS3 interested in ob/gyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GladifImakeit

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm an MS3 on ob/gyn rotation looking for any suggestions you have.

Should I scrub out to go to class or stay to finish the case?

What does it take to match into a top ob/gyn program (my first choice)?

Do I need pubs/research or is a solid step 1 score enough?

Will an MPH help my chances?

Thanks for your help. Any other advice you can provide is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Much of the information you are seeking is located in previous threads. I would recommend NOT missing lectures/classes unless 1) you have explicit permission and invitation to stay from your supervising resident 2) the case is worth staying for 3)you can communicate with your clerkship director the reasons for your absence. In general, classroom/didactic time is looked upon as "protected" from clinical duties. As far as application buffers, I would not get an additional degree (MPH) unless it has some legitimate utility in your future career. Research? Start with a case report or two, consider helping out a resident or fellow on a bigger project, as you may be a secondary author if that is the case. I would certainly be thrilled if a quality ms3 wanted to assist my data extraction.

I would recommend NOT missing lectures/classes unless 1) you have explicit permission and invitation to stay from your supervising resident 2) the case is worth staying for 3)you can communicate with your clerkship director the reasons for your absence.
Yes, I recall reading on this board about an ortho program that decided not to rank a good candidate BECAUSE he skipped lectures to scrub into cases while doing an away there. Their logic was that it showed he didn't follow directions well or something like that. Whether that's fair or not, you have to realize that people who think like that are out there.