Advice for New Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TracerBullet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently finished going through the dental application process and will be starting this summer. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I made this thread in hopes of helping applicants that will be applying this next cycle. I know I would have really appreciated something like this as I was selecting schools in my application.

The aim is to provide some insight into each school I interviewed at. I hope others will join in, and give their perspective of schools they interviewed with. I am not harping on any school, and am looking to just give sound representations of each school. Please know that I think ANY dental school is worth going to, and I have found that there is NOT a perfect dental school. Each school has its pros and cons. But also, NO two dental schools are equal. You will come out different depending on which one you attend. It doesn’t mean you can’t or won’t succeed, but if “practice makes perfect” then I think the culture of your school will carry over with you into your practicing career.

I was invited to 12 dental interviews. Because these were all pre Dec 1st, I could only attend 9 due to scheduling conflicts and wanting to save funds. And trust me, when I first sent in my application, I was hoping to just land ONE interview. I had no first choice or preference towards any school going into these interviews. I interviewed with the mindset of me trying to find which school would be the best for me. With that said, I want this thread to be about the schools, not me.

Here are the schools. If you want to know more about one, just scroll down and I have written a brief synopsis of my interview experience there. (This is organized by visit dates)

-UoP

-ASDOH

-NYU

-MWU-IL

-Ohio State

-UCSF

-LECOM

-MWU-AZ

-Roseman

University of the Pacific

- Very nice facilities. UoP’s new building is top-of-the-line and looks amazing. Its sim lab and clinic are 2nd to none.

- Students dress business casual. Gives off a “haughty-taughty” vibe, but after meeting students, they are everyday joes that worked hard… to be fair, I did meet some kids who were having their parents cover tuition and costs. So, I saw the full spectrum, rich kids to everyday kids.

- They pride themselves at being the best. And the way things looked, I believe it.

- The feel of the comradery and pride in their Dugoni family is tangible. It’s understandable why they have a very large endowment from alumni, and why once you attend, you are Dugoni for life.

- Every student I talked to said it was hard, very hard, the first year. But a lot better the next two.

- Campus, it wasn’t really a campus. It was a beautiful downtown mini “sky rise.”

- Busy clinic.

- Everyday schedule for student, 7:30am – 5:00pm

- Technology: Advanced

- Faculty was very cordial. It felt like a business, but a very friendly business.

- Open door policy. (actually there are no doors to faculty members office to encourage students to visit)

- The only negative I came away with was high costs and busy schedule.

- I felt a graduate from here would come out the most business ready, and very skilled at using top-of-the-line equipment. However, this comes at a great cost of working very hard during your three years here.

ASDOH

- Nice campus and nice surrounding area. If you like warm weather, this is the place. The community was very modern and clean. Once again, it was a business style building, not your traditional campus building on universities.

- Very service oriented. If you are looking to be the best at serving underserved communities, this school will help.

- This was probably my favorite interview, in terms of it being “fun”. You role play and are always interacting.

- Nice facilities. Everything is new, modern, and clean in terms of equipment.

- Empty clinic.

- Scrub Dress Code

- Very nice and humble students. Never felt a “gunner” mentality from anyone I met.

- The students claimed the coursework was relaxed and nice paced.

- Student Schedule, Flexible…depends on the days, but usually 9am-3pm.

- Great faculty. The dean was AWESOME. A character I will never forget.

- Technology: Above Average

- I came away with the feeling that a dentist from this school will be very service oriented and look to help the needy. Also, schooling here would be relaxed and easy paced.

NYU

- In an awesome setting, Manhattan. It was fun going to NYC and using taxis and subway, and all the noises of the people. And the smell…woof! So many good smelling foods.

- As you imagine, the school looks like a sky rise.

- Inside, the school is not clean. There was one newly renovated part that was beautiful, but the majority of the building needs some work. The student lounge felt like an infirmary.

- Busy clinic

- Sim lab was dirty, disgusting, and a little dated

- Crowded. You could not get into the elevator without maxing out the weight capacity.

- The faculty is nice and fun though. Every faculty member I met treated me like we were old pals.

- Student life, every demographic imaginable. The students also seemed to form cliques and it felt very much like returning to high school. There was a little bit of a high school mentality still.

- Casual clothes dress code. Jeans, boots with fur….. (really saw that)

- Technology: Below average to basic

- Student schedule. Meh, watevers man…. All the lessons are podcasted, so no one goes to lectures. The students openly admit that 90% of student don’t go to class, but that they still ace the tests just off podcasts

- I feel since the class size is so large, you could be ANY type of dentist you wanted. If you survived going through here, you would have no problem making it in the real world with saturated dentists. The school seemed to do a great job at handling the large number of students, and really, at this school, you get out of it what you put in. You are the master of your fate.

MWU-IL

- A small campus in a suburb of Chicago. The campus is shared by several health professional disciplines, each with its own building, so it feels like a mini-college campus.

- Cold

- Very clean and nice inside.

- Nice sim labs, and very up-to-date

- Clinic was brand new, very nice, but empty

- Students were way nice

- Scrub Dress Code

- I felt a student here would not be stressing too much over course work, and would come out an above average dentist.

- Nothing but good things to say about this school

Ohio State

- This was the fanciest interview. If you get invited here, go. It feels like a royal wedding and the food is AWESOME.

- That said, the interview process is chaotic and you are herded around like cattle (They interview almost 100 people at a time) Plus, the interview is not personal and I have no idea how they are able to equally compare each applicant when they have 40+ interviewers.

- Campus was pretty cool. Everyone there wears OSU paraphernalia, and it feels like you are back in college. Pretty campus.

- The dental school building, however, is dilapidated. Your first two years are in a dungeon, with no windows (for reals). The sim-lab, was old, dirty, and you drill dry on typodonts attached to a single metal post. (Once again, you “play like you practice”)

- Everyone is so friendly there (Midwest)

- Cold

- Scrub Dress Code

- Technology: Below average to Basic

- Clinic was clean and somewhat modern. But empty (Probably because it was a Saturday)

- I felt a student here would have a good time. It would be a continuation of the college lifestyle, and have a ton of extracurricular activities. You could see how close the students of each class were, and I left wanting to be a part of it, in spite of the old dental building (dungeon).

UCSF

- This is nerd heaven. If you want to feel like you are part of a leading medical/dental school. This is the place.

- The building is part of the medical school which takes up a whole city block. (Huge!)

- Everyone there, you can tell, is very well educated and this is evident in how they speak.

- Very relaxed student vibe. The kid that interviewed me told me that this was easier than undergrad, and that I would have plenty of time to golf.

- That same student, however, complained that since there are so many specialties there, all their cool cases get referenced out.

- Faculty. Smart. They are the ones writing the dental textbooks.

- Scrub Dress code

- I came away from this school with the feeling that a student here will know the human body and its systems very well. You will know more about overall human health when compared to another school. But, I didn’t see any ways that the school prepares you for the business side of dentistry. Nevertheless, if you are looking to specialize, 80% of the kids there do. It felt like a nice/convenient/ great way to go through a great dental school, with low stress.

LECOM

- Location, location, location. If you like warm weather, empty beaches, and fun adventures. LECOM.

- The Dean was dick. Hard headed, stubborn, and any hint at someone questioning his methods…off with his head. Sadly, a kid in my interview asked a pretty legit question…and then dean went on a 10 minute rant, almost yelling.

- But, the teachers made up for the Dean’s rudeness. The teachers were down to earth, outgoing, and you could tell they cared a lot about the students.

- Building was new, but empty. Not much in terms of top of the line instruments (i.e. cadcam, cerec, etc)

- Clinic, empty. But fancy!

- Scrub dress code

- Technology: Basic to Above Average

- This school works, and is functional. A student here would go to a very clean, up to date, modern school, while living AT THE BEACH. As a dentist, I don’t know how they would come out….

MWU-Az

- So, this is MY opinion. I think that this school puts out the best, most modern dentists. If you want to be the best dentists possible, this is the school. They have so many instruments, machines, etc that help you come out the most technologically advanced dentist. Their curriculum is set up so well, and everything is organized so perfectly to help you to succeed. (FYI, it broke my heart to turn this school down)

- The Dean is a STUD! I am sad the he is retiring. He is leaving behind one of, if not the best dental school I visited.

- Campus is pretty cool. It is a bunch of buildings, each with its own respected health profession. They have a gym, sand volleyball courts, basketball courts, weight room… all available to the students. So if you like to study hard, and then play hard with fellow dentists, doctors, pharmacists, and veterinarians….this is the place.

- Weather was awesome. The school is located on the “boring” side of PHX. It is surrounding by new retirement homes. Cost of living is cheap, but the city itself is still developing.

- Clinic was nice! But empty…that may be due to the fact the school was on holiday at the time.

- Sim lab is clean clean clean clean!, and they use CEREC, CadCam, Operating microscopes, 4 handed dentistry….They really prepare you for being advanced in dental techniques.

- Technology: Advanced

- They have no specialties there on purpose. This is so that you can exposed to every type of patient imaginable. Plus, since all the old people come in, they say you get to place a lot of implants.

- A student here will study hard, have fun, and come out very advanced in terms of dental techniques. They will have done a lot a procedures, and see a myriad of cases. When I hear of a MWU-Az grad, I will think highly of them.

Roseman

- Campus is boring. It’s in a parking lot with call centers, startups, etc.

- Clinic, empty.

- They are the only school that didn’t feed us.

- Great staff. This school really has faculty that cares about the excellence of its students

- Great didactic approach. I feel this school had the most modern approach on how to teach material.

- Students seemed relaxed. Several of them said they had plenty of free time to get full use of their ski passes

- Technology: Basic to a little above average. For the price, I was expecting more, but I think since it is a new school it is taking sometime.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 users
+1 for using dilapidated in a sentence

Reactions: 1 users
Very insightful. I might add that lecom has a mandatory business casual dress code.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stonybrook: very small class, seems like little camaraderie but I could be wrong. Early clinic exposure, medical school curriculum/ classes with med students.

Ucsf: great school. Students seem happy. Expensive living, good clinics. Good curriculum with two half days a week for self assigned study/free time. Campus is with other health professions schools (med school, nursing? Etc)

Boston: students seemed really happy and really close. Lots to do in the city. Curriculum seemed a lot less stressful than most other schools I've been to. Haven't heard great things about the clinic situation, couldn't get a straight answer of how many people are fulfilling requirements and graduating on time. School seems very responsive to students needs and requests.

NYU: I have had a few experiences here. First one not so good, first visit students seemed super stuck up. Interview day really surprised me and made NYU my top choice (besides price, wah) lots of research opportunities, seems like the experience you get here comes from 100% what you put in. Lectures are all recorded.. Casual dress code. Successful group practice clinics, super high boards pass rate.. Lots and lots of opportunities available for students overall. Students do seem very stressed first and second year, and days can be long based on lab placement. Seems like they do a good job making it seem like there are not 360 people in your class, but that's just my $0.02

Reactions: 1 user
I have almost the same story as OP. I went to 10 interviews, and I nearly started a thread just like this a couple weeks ago. I figured I would jump in on the action and give my opinions.

USC
- The campus was amazing. It was so pretty, people had USC pride, and the weather is orgasmic.

- The interview process was interesting, to say the least. You get a taste of PBL, and it was definitely not for me. I'm still not sure how they evaluated us, outside of the questions they had us answer in the group.

- The students all seemed friendly. Although I got the feeling that this school was the "back up" for most students.

- Building was new, and clinic was busy.

- The price and PBL are pretty much the deciding factors for most students.

CU
-The campus is very pretty. It is new (built in the last ten years) and they are still expanding the medical school (building a VA). It is located between the airport and downtown so everything is fairly accessible with a car but I got the impression that most students don't live very close.

-My interview was NOT relaxed. But everyone seemed to have a relaxed interview. I got grilled and my interview was not impressed with my B in poetry. He asked me about it 3 times.

-The clinics used to be ridiculously busy to the point of being a big issue, but they built a new floor so that has alleviated some of the issues.

-Technology was about average. No cad cam.

-They don't focus on getting you in the clinic early. Instead they get you in the classroom and have you take part 1 of the boards after your first year. This could be both a pro or con depending on who you are.

NYU
-OP has a good explanation. I would add that they were constructing a new building that would have more classrooms and more hang out spaces. The Dean seemed to not want to talk about it for some reason, and even said "I wasn't going to mention it but I was told by my current students it might be important". uhhh, yeah!

-I got the sense that students didn't really go to class. The technology of having recorded lectures is awesome, but it seems weird students would rather get it done at home.

-The class size is huge, although there is no shortage of patients in a big city.

-This school is expensive and I've heard many dentists call it a mill.

-This was the one school where I interacted with a couple students who weren't really satisfied. One guy even had an HPSP scholarship and told me he still wasn't happy. Ouch.

MWU-IL
-
Not much to add with OP. The campus isn't in Chicago, and I know several students were surprised at how far out it actually is.

-Also, I asked about the ability of the school to find patients and how Loyola and Northwestern had to close 20 years ago due to a shortage. I never really got a solid answer, but students seemed to think they were getting a decent amount of patients.

-Another big thing, the clinic is NOT on the actual campus. It is a 10 minute drive.

Marquette
-Being from Chicago, I wasn't expecting much from Milwaukee. It is a smaller, colder, less fun Chicago. But Marquette was a pleasant surprise.

-The clinic is gorgeous and they just added some more space to the building for classrooms, meetings, and lab space.

-It has all the specialties and you get some exposure to prosthodontics.

-Brian is the guy in charge for your admissions/interview day. He is SUPER friendly and nice. He really made everyone feel welcome.

-Students seemed to really get along.

BU
-There is a lot of hate for BU on here. The students I met were all very happy. Boston is a great city and there is lots to do.

-I got the feeling that a big part of BU is a younger population. The people I met were all talking about partying after a test, none were married, and it was just different from other schools. Im sure every school has the young party people, but BU was just different. Perhaps the class is younger? Maybe it is the energy of the city? Who knows.

-Clinics were nothing to brag about. I asked one student if there is competition for patients with Tufts 2 miles away and Harvard up the road and he never really answered the question. I would guess a mid sized city wouldn't have enough patients for 3 dental schools...

MWU-AZ
-I agree with OP for the most part except for the Dean part. He was indeed a nice guy and he really was passionate about the school. But I didn't really like the "incentives" they give students and faculty. If you complete a certain amount of production you get days off, etc etc. I found that it reminded me of corporate dentistry.. Maybe I am way off, but I felt it was odd.

-A Junior and a senior work together on patients. I liked that it made the transition of patients easy and it allowed you to learn along side someone, although I would hope the senior wouldn't take all the bigger cases leaving junior year to be filings and assisting.

VCU
-This interview blew me away. They really had things set up to impress us.

-The clinic is very pretty. We were able to "shadow" some of their specialty clinics. It was very different from the typical tours at other schools were they show you the school. I felt like VCU let you experience it. You were also given the chance to drill on a fake tooth with their DentSim machines (only a few schools have these).

-All the staff seemed friendly and nice

-The school has its own medical campus. We didn't get a chance to see the library but it is shared with the medical, pharmacy, etc.

Nova
-I was overall impressed with Nova. The students were very friendly and the weather was amazing. As we wrapped up lunch the guys showing us around left to go golfing for the rest of the day.

-This campus looks like a resort. Ponds everywhere, very pretty buildings, and it was rather big since it has an undergrad campus. Although there isn't a lot within walking distance of the school, it was secluded in that sense.

-Overall the clinic was good. It was busy when I was there.

Creighton
-The interview is extremely short. I was in and out within an hour. You had a 30 min tour and a 30 min conversation (not even an interview).

-The clinic is old, and it shows. It is almost like one big open room. I wasn't incredibly impressed with this.

-Their big emphasis is that they don't have specialties training at the school, so you get to do all the work.

-Students dress up in the clinic. I wasn't sure if this was required, but it was something I noticed.

You guys skipped the most important thing, where are you going?

I'm headed to NYU. Still waitlisted at stonybrook and UCSF though. So it could change.

Last edited:
@TracerBullet and @frostyfreeway , any comment on the diversity of the student body @ MWU-AZ? Would an Asian feel out of place? Are people accepting/open-minded? This question may seem silly, but I have heard concerns about MWU-AZ on this topic. Anything you picked up on could be very helpful.

Thank you for these reviews :D.

I interviewed during a holiday break, so the campus was empty. The few students we did meet were white, and from Arizona or Utah. (We met about 8 students, so too small of a sample size to really represent the student body) My interview group, however, was made up of every race and gender.

The people there seemed very conservative, but very nice. I could NOT see people there treating others differently because of race/lifestyle/etc. So Yes to accepting/open-minded... but it is predominantly conservative white people. Would you feel out of place? Well, that's relative... if you attend a California dental school, half the student body is Asian. At MWU-Az, you may be in the minority, but how you feel about that is relative to you and your previous life experiences.

But, this would be a better question to ask @mwuazama, he did an AMA and is in his second year at MWU-Az

Which school did you decide to attend OP? Sorry if you already stated that somewhere

Anyone intereview at Harvard or Louisville? These be my top choices... Would love more info on them!

I got 6 invites but only attended Midwestern-AZ, Uni of Pacific, Upenn, and USC
I feel what has been said is pretty on point but I'll give a quick thing about Upenn.

Upenn: Beautiful campus from the moment you arrive. But absolutely freezing. Facilities are all being renovated but what is currently in place still looks functional. Clinics are busy and have an open look to them. The pre clinic dungeon is real but really not that bad. Again it's being all redone. Students are very friendly as are the facility. Food was great. Lots of high tech gadgets to play around with like virtual reality training simulations and gorgeous endo clinic. Overall a very relaxed and enjoyable day. Even got a tour of campus from the football coach after my interview mostly by luck and charm. The helpfulness of students I met really gave me the impression that it's a collaborative environment which is what sold me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for this thread! What a great idea :).

NYU: Busy and large clinic. Clinical instructors seem pretty friendly. Students are kept busy for the first 2 years, but get some time to enjoy the city during 3rd and 4th years. 2 tall buildings, but the fancier building is for mostly used as a studying area for dental students. Many departments, so you may be able to learn stuff here that you wouldn't be able to at other schools. Cafeteria here probably tasted the best. NYC is an amazing city that has a lot to offer, but also have many hustlers and homeless. Also, some subway stations are filthy. Ride buses if you can, because I got bronchitis 2 days before my interview and I know I got sick at a subway station. Apartments nearby and great public transportation. A lot of diversity.

Interview: 1 on 1 and short. I don't think interview matters that much here.

Roseman: Clinic is empty. Equipments are fancy, but what good are they if you don't have patients to use them on? People who live there never even heard of Roseman, so do not expect great clinical education here. No food given... Town is boring, but it's close to Vegas. Students here get laid back schedule(I think this might indicate they learn less) and it's pass/fail system. No apartments nearby and bad public transportation. Not much diversity.

Interview: 2 profs and 1 student. Just general questions.

Marquette: Fancy building and has decent number of patients. Beautiful campus. Nice clinical instructors. City is reasonably large, yet quaint. Kinda felt like DC. Gave sandwiches, they were alright. Apartments nearby good public transportation. Diversity: don't remember.

Interview: 4 professors, some tough questions, 1 tries to seem apathetic to gauge your response. Don't shy away or be intimidated.

UDM: Building looks like a hospital, but not a great hospital. Busy clinic. Gives food, but I didn't get to eat because my interview ran late. Looked decent. Very nice clinical instructors. City is pretty large and way better than what you might imagine. You rotate each day from clinic at school and a hospital or something, so you get more varied experience and less supervision. A lot to do, but not as much to do as NYC. No apartments you would want to live in nearby. Public transportation is horrible. Good diversity, a lot of Canadians.

Interview: 1 on 1, laid back conversation-like.

USC: Beautiful campus but dental building is rundown. Good number of patients. PBL, I didn't like it. Gives sandwiches, it was okay. LA was awesome though, great food and a lot to do. Definitely hit Little Tokyo and Koreatown. Apartments nearby and public transportation is good. Good diversity.

Interview: mock PBL, answer 2 random questions you draw out of a basket. Don't tell people in your PBL group that you think they may be incorrect, even if they are wrong.

Midwestern-IL: Chicago's great, but that's not where to school is. Clinic is at like middle of nowhere in middle of nowhere and not located at the school. New equipments like Roseman. No apartments nearby and horrible public transportation. Kinda diverse.

Interview: 6 completely random questions that you have 1 minute to think about and like 7 minutes or something to answer.

Temple: Busy clinic. The street Temple's on seem safe and is regularly patrolled by cops. Ghetto is like 5 minutes away. City is great, good food and a lot to do. Kinda like lesser NYC. Clinical instructors seem nice. Good food. Medical school nearby, you can study and eat there. No apartments you would want to live nearby. Subway station right next to the school. Good public transportation. Medium diversity.

Interview: video interview, you got 5 minutes to say whatever you want, answer one random question, and do a put peg in hole test with like 20-25 holes.

Schools that stood out for clinical: NYU, UDM, and Temple.

Schools that stood out for food they give you: NYU and Temple.

Schools that stood out for city: NYU and USC.

Schools that stood out for the experience during interview day: UDM, Temple, and Marquette.

Hardest interview: Marquette.

School that stood out for faculty: UDM.

Last edited:
Bump! People are starting to get interviews and this thread is extremely awesome. It'd be even more awesome if other people had experiences to add :)

Reactions: 3 users
UNC
-Beautiful area, beautiful school and beautiful facilities.
-Really thinking about locating to NC when I'm done with school.
-Students seem incredibly happy,
-Staff was among the friendliest of all my interviews.
- Case revolving around braces is required.

Temple
-Weird dental interview (video recording)
- Fun staff and sense of humor
- brand new preclincal room. Sparkles, everywhere *_*
-Ease you into D1 material
-large patient pool
- bad area

UB
- extremely welcoming staff.
- affordable tuition
- affordable area and options to live right across from the school. airport 15 mins away if that matters.
-happy students and schedule doesn't seem so chaotic as other schools
- team atmosphere, everyone seems to stick together.
-one of the few schools that replied to my thank you email lol. Think the only one actually >.>

Columbia
-Pass/Fail
- team feel and welcoming staff.
- Didn't like the preclinical/clinical room much. Definitely needs more light.
- good area and not as chaotic as NYU.

CASE
-Nice area
- good focus on preclinical work, simulation focus.
- pass/fail grades. PBL
-affordable
- exceptional admissions folk.

SB
-Didnt feel the camaraderie. Dental student actually got frustrated with another one in front of me. D4 students i interacted with didn't seem very happy.
-Awesome admissions staff. UB and SB should definitely be the model for everyone.
-pass/fail
-good preclinical/clinics
- felt the area was a bit bleak but *shrug. Then again, it was incredibly foggy that day lol.

UCONN
- Huge building and beautiful campus. I'll never forget when I first saw it on the high way. I thought it was a casino lol.
- Exceptional staff and wonderful presentation. Real top tier.
- pass/fail
-happy students and they stick together.
- good for specialty focus students.
- weight of columbia with half the cost imo.

Rutgers
- extremely happy students
- school has a lot of confidence, day started out with a room of d4 students ready to share there experience
-lots of patients
- near nyc
-clinic clinic clinic clinic work

If everyone has any specific questions, send me a message.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
CASE

Cool clinics with a real focus on preclinical work.

UNC
-Beautiful area, beautiful school and beautiful facilities.
-Really thinking about locating to NC when I'm done with school.
-Students seem incredibly happy,
-Staff was among the friendliest of all my interviews.
- Case revolving around braces is required.

Temple
-Weird dental interview (video recording)
- Fun staff and sense of humor
- brand new preclincal room. Sparkles, everywhere *_*
-Ease you into D1 material
-large patient pool
- bad area

UB
- extremely welcoming staff.
- affordable tuition
- affordable area and options to live right across from the school. airport 15 mins away if that matters.
-happy students and schedule doesn't seem so chaotic as other schools
- team atmosphere, everyone seems to stick together.
-one of the few schools that replied to my thank you email lol. Think the only one actually >.>

Columbia
-Pass/Fail
- team feel and welcoming staff.
- Didn't like the preclinical/clinical room much. Definitely needs more light.
- good area and not as chaotic as NYU.

CASE
-Nice area
- good focus on preclinical work, simulation focus.
- pass/fail grades. PBL
-affordable
- exceptional admissions folk.

SB
-Didnt feel the camaraderie. Dental student actually got frustrated with another one in front of me. D4 students i interacted with didn't seem very happy.
-Awesome admissions staff. UB and SB should definitely be the model for everyone.
-pass/fail
-good preclinical/clinics
- felt the area was a bit bleak but *shrug. Then again, it was incredibly foggy that day lol.

UCONN
- Huge building and beautiful campus. I'll never forget when I first saw it on the high way. I thought it was a casino lol.
- Exceptional staff and wonderful presentation. Real top tier.
- pass/fail
-happy students and they stick together.
- good for specialty focus students.
- weight of columbia with half the cost imo.

Rutgers
- extremely happy students
- school has a lot of confidence, day started out with a room of d4 students ready to share there experience
-lots of patients
- near nyc
-clinic clinic clinic clinic work

If everyone has any specific questions, send me a message.
Really thorough. thank you!!!

This is so informative. Keep this thread alive!!

Harvard

-The most humble and laid back atmosphere of students around. On my night of being hosted by a 1st year student, i was asked to hang out at a pub and have a beer.
-Four interviewees that day (including me), so the interviews and tour of the campus felt genuinely personal.
- Students were as stressed as they wanted to be. Having a P/F curriculum made the stress of students lowered significantly, but natural gunners were talked about by other students as pointlessly stressing themselves out.
-The campus was really nice (separate from the undergrad campus and near their other graduate schools), but the dorms that most 1st year students stay in reminded me of college.
- The 35 student class size was attractive and a deterrent. It was nice because of the comradery among dental students, but the petty drama among students felt exactly like high school.
-Since a new curriculum was being implemented, they weren't really sure how the year would go by which sounded chaotic. Also, since dental students take classes with the med students for the first 2 years, many complained that it can be a pain to resolve conflicting schedules.
-Dental students were seen as hardworking among their peer of med students, as their days were noticeably longer than their peers.

Penn

- Beautiful campus that's a part of their undergraduate school. Felt like I was in the world of Harry Potter.
- The large class size and large clinic was super busy, and it didn't seem advantageous to have that many people so near.
-The majority of students told interviewees that they should come if they want to specialize because of the grade inflation.
- The Virtual Sim Lab machines seemed cool, but students complained that they would rather practice without virtual reality.
-The Dungeon, or the room where lectures were held below ground floor, was ancient. There were words thrown around of renovations one day, but it wasn't clear.
- Students seemed content, but the faculty complained that the students' say in matters of teaching was too strong. Students have a voice at this school. Whether good or bad.

Columbia

-The lunch was fantastic and the best part of the day!
- The interviews are so casual that I at first wondered how they would score them, but it was apparent afterwards that they were trying to get a sense of you and how it compared to the you on paper.
-The students acted more Frat like, which was encouraged in Manhattan where the night life was plentiful.
-Some students weren't too humble, as they threw the word Ivy every now and again to finalize a point.
- Most students seemed intent on specializing, and many said the environment was very encouraging towards it.
-To fully tour the school, it requires going outside and walking to other buildings, so it's different in the aspect that not everything is within arm's reach.
- No focus was placed on speaking about or mentioning research despite the perception of the school on SDN.
-The med school curriculum incorporated for the first year and a half seemed very well crafted.
-The Honors/Pass/Fail curriculum encouraged students to work as hard as though there were grades, but with a little less stress.
-My interviewer, who genuinely cared, told me not to come to Columbia unless I acquired the HPSP scholarship because the cost was beyond the worth of the degree.
-Faculty seemed very friendly, but since the entire tour and presentations about the school were given by students, it's hard to say for sure.

UConn
-The good cop bad cop routine by the 2 interviewers seemed intimidating at first, but it was actually like a weird test to see if they could throw you off of your A game under pressure. IE: I was asked an unusual question like, "What other schools are you going to be interviewing at?"
-The students felt more like a family here than any other school I interviewed at. With a class size of 40-45, it's expected, but proven in-person. It was even explained by students as the Pass/Fail curriculum encouraged cooperation.
- The faculty and students warned that the school was very demanding and shouldn't be taking lightly in spite of the Pass/Fail grading.
-The associate dean in charge of presentations and tours was selling the school based on its affordability and residency placement, it helped that all 8 of us interviewees were OOS residents.
- The associate dean and other members of the admission committee each said that there was no in-state vs OOS preference.
-Interviewees were praised because the chance of an acceptance was already high, as most of their spots are filled from pre-december interviews.
-The sim lab and overall tech seemed top notch.

UF
-The number of people being interviewed that day felt tremendous. It felt like it was between 20-30, which made for a non-personal experience.
- The interviews were rushed because of how many interviewees that needed to be done in certain time slots, so it encouraged a machinery feel of in-and-out.
-The interview was also the most intimating by far. It was 3-4 faculty sitting in front of you drilling you with demanding questions under pressure.
-The technology was the least impressive, as the building and tech seemed outdated.
-The gator-family attitude was spoken about, but students most seemed unhappy and stressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Harvard

-The most humble and laid back atmosphere of students around. On my night of being hosted by a 1st year student, i was asked to hang out at a pub and have a beer.
-Four interviewees that day (including me), so the interviews and tour of the campus felt genuinely personal.
- Students were as stressed as they wanted to be. Having a P/F curriculum made the stress of students lowered significantly, but natural gunners were talked about by other students as pointlessly stressing themselves out.
-The campus was really nice (separate from the undergrad campus and near their other graduate schools), but the dorms that most 1st year students stay in reminded me of college.
- The 35 student class size was attractive and a deterrent. It was nice because of the comradery among dental students, but the petty drama among students felt exactly like high school.
-Since a new curriculum was being implemented, they weren't really sure how the year would go by which sounded chaotic. Also, since dental students take classes with the med students for the first 2 years, many complained that it can be a pain to resolve conflicting schedules.
-Dental students were seen as hardworking among their peer of med students, as their days were noticeably longer than their peers.

Penn

- Beautiful campus that's a part of their undergraduate school. Felt like I was in the world of Harry Potter.
- The large class size and large clinic was super busy, and it didn't seem advantageous to have that many people so near.
-The majority of students told interviewees that they should come if they want to specialize because of the grade inflation.
- The Virtual Sim Lab machines seemed cool, but students complained that they would rather practice without virtual reality.
-The Dungeon, or the room where lectures were held below ground floor, was ancient. There were words thrown around of renovations one day, but it wasn't clear.
- Students seemed content, but the faculty complained that the students' say in matters of teaching was too strong. Students have a voice at this school. Whether good or bad.

Columbia

-The lunch was fantastic and the best part of the day!
- The interviews are so casual that I at first wondered how they would score them, but it was apparent afterwards that they were trying to get a sense of you and how it compared to the you on paper.
-The students acted more Frat like, which was encouraged in Manhattan where the night life was plentiful.
-Some students weren't too humble, as they threw the word Ivy every now and again to finalize a point.
- Most students seemed intent on specializing, and many said the environment was very encouraging towards it.
-To fully tour the school, it requires going outside and walking to other buildings, so it's different in the aspect that not everything is within arm's reach.
- No focus was placed on speaking about or mentioning research despite the perception of the school on SDN.
-The med school curriculum incorporated for the first year and a half seemed very well crafted.
-The Honors/Pass/Fail curriculum encouraged students to work as hard as though there were grades, but with a little less stress.
-My interviewer, who genuinely cared, told me not to come to Columbia unless I acquired the HPSP scholarship because the cost was beyond the worth of the degree.
-Faculty seemed very friendly, but since the entire tour and presentations about the school were given by students, it's hard to say for sure.

UConn
-The good cop bad cop routine by the 2 interviewers seemed intimidating at first, but it was actually like a weird test to see if they could throw you off of your A game under pressure. IE: I was asked an unusual question like, "What other schools are you going to be interviewing at?"
-The students felt more like a family here than any other school I interviewed at. With a class size of 40-45, it's expected, but proven in-person. It was even explained by students as the Pass/Fail curriculum encouraged cooperation.
- The faculty and students warned that the school was very demanding and shouldn't be taking lightly in spite of the Pass/Fail grading.
-The associate dean in charge of presentations and tours was selling the school based on its affordability and residency placement, it helped that all 8 of us interviewees were OOS residents.
- The associate dean and other members of the admission committee each said that there was no in-state vs OOS preference.
-The sim lab and overall tech seemed top notch.

UF
-The number of people being interviewed that day felt tremendous. It felt like it was between 20-30, which made for a non-personal experience.
- The interviews were rushed because of how many interviewees that needed to be done in certain time slots, so it encouraged a machinery feel of in-and-out.
-The interview was also the most intimating by far. It was 3-4 faculty sitting in front of you drilling you with demanding questions under pressure.
-The technology was the least impressive, as the building and tech seemed outdated.
-The gator-family attitude was spoken about, but students most seemed unhappy and stressed.

You and the other 8 OOS students for Uconn.....? When did you interview? lol My day was OOS students too.

Dang. I thought so too. The associate dean was astounded that we were all OOS, I guess it's because it happened once before that cycle lol