Advice for next step?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamyisbeastly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am looking for some help on how to improve my file for dental school, here are my stats to help guide the advice.

Graduating this May with a BS in Exercise Science.
BCP GPA - 2.78
Science GPA - 2.95
Non- Science GPA - 3.54
Total GPA - 3.12
(ADEA AADSAS calculated)
Significant upward trend in my GPA since freshmen year.

and my DAT scores are...

Biology - 18
General Chem - 18
Orgo - 19
Math - 16
PAT - 21
RC - 18
AA - 18
TT - 18

For EC I have shadowing many aspects of dentistry about 300 hours, volunteer work about 100 hours, 1 year of research, good leadership roles, ER scribe for 1.5 years and 3 other different jobs in my past.

Here are some questions I have...

I am sure these are not good enough for admission (since I applied this cycle and have been rejected, not sure why I even bothered to apply :(). I was wondering what options I have out there. Should I do a post-bac or a SMP? What I have read is SMP is a better option for me.

Should I do more EC, if so what what are some unique things to do?

Should I retake DAT this summer and reapply again while hopefully being already admitted into a SMP?

Just need help out there :unsure:

Members don't see this ad.

You already know you've got to get that GPA up, so I'd do some sort of a post-bac or SMP. Not really sure about all the options, but I'm sure others will chime in!

I know it won't be fun, but I also would suggest a DAT retake. The first time you took it, are you sure you used all the right materials? :) I'd check out the breakdown collection thread in my signature.

It may be 2 cycles until you are ready to really apply... but the end will be worth it! :D

To have realistic chances at acceptance, you will need to retake the dat and score in the 20s, and also do a masters or post-bac to raise that gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
You already know you've got to get that GPA up, so I'd do some sort of a post-bac or SMP. Not really sure about all the options, but I'm sure others will chime in!

I know it won't be fun, but I also would suggest a DAT retake. The first time you took it, are you sure you used all the right materials? :) I'd check out the breakdown collection thread in my signature.

It may be 2 cycles until you are ready to really apply... but the end will be worth it! :D

Thank you, I will look into the DAT study guide you have.

Also do you know any programs that are designed for dental students. Most of the I have searched are for medical.

To have realistic chances at acceptance, you will need to retake the dat and score in the 20s, and also do a masters or post-bac to raise that gpa.

Yea I plan on retaking my DAT. Also do you know of any programs designed specifically for dental students?

Re-take DAT and boost GPA via postbac/SMP