Advice for Org chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

innocentxgrl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i tried posting this earlier but stupid computer kiked me off.. neways I took organic chem I and II at a community college and make A's in both. However, I dont really remember nething...actually I didnt really learn anything.. now when i look at org problz in kaplan or ANY DAT prep book my face goes :eek::cool::scared::mad::( I guess I pretty much have to teach myself everything... can anyone offer me any advice as to how to learn this stuff..like what books n stuff wud help me at this point??

Members don't see this ad.

I was in kind of the same boat as you, except i hadn't taken O Chem before i took the DAT. So i had to teach my self in about 6 weeks. One thing that really helped me was (i hope this doesn't sound dumb) memorizing the Destroyer road maps. A lot of the reactions i didn't really understand how or why they worked but I know give a molcule like "X" and certain conditions i would get a product like "Y" it helped a lot and i filled in the rest with high yiled books (really inexpensive i think mine was $4 with shipping). i was able to get an 18 on my DAT hope this helps.

Best advice I can give you is this. Since you have taken the course once, you have been exposed to some of the terms and figures. By exposed I mean you have just "heard" them as you were in class going over anatomy lectures rather than Ochem. ANy how, since u have been exposed to the terms, try the schaums organic book. Not the big one, but schaums has these little tiny "cute" books and one of htem is for ochem. THAT thing is a great outline. Best of luck on that! :thumbup:

p.s. I dont recall anything from my OChem class, which i took back in 2005 and I read the schaums book and Im currently reading over KBB. I believe these two combinations are the best way to study for OCHEM. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I found Kaplan Blue Book to be enough for this section... at least for the version of the DAT that I took. I took Orgo I and II a few years ago and didn't remember anything and had to relearn pretty much all of it from KBB. You many want a supplemental material like Schaums in case there is something that you do not understand in KBB; I didn't run into that problem though... you could always ask on here if you don't understand a concept... or wiki it

I think the book is pretty good at explaining the concepts of this section.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Make sure to know all the reactions in KBB for sure.

Organic Chemistry as a Second Language (ISBNs 0470129298 & 0471738085). They actually explain things very well in the books, in a very casual and easily-understandable tone. Learning nomenclature and mechanisms from OSL was much easier than doing the same with the Kaplan BB.

pull out ur old orgo book and just read the reviews, and look at some graphs and figures and you should be okay