Advice for Pre-Optometry Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

preoptstudent3

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I would like advice on how to make myself a better candidate for optometry school. I am very nervous. Here up some of my stats:

  • Undergrad at University of Houston / Major: Biotechnology (completion 2022)
  • Science GPA: 3.72 (Taken almost all of the pre-optometry courses... only pysch. left)
  • Total GPA: 3.9
  • Pre-Pharmacy Club - 101 hours of volunteering
  • American Chemical Society - 28 hours of tutoring chemistry
  • Ambassador of the College of Technology - basically recruit students to UH, give speeches about college
  • Houston Scholars Program - learning about basics of research
  • Work Experience: Certified Pharmacy Technician at Kroger, Junior manager at Office Depot (Do they care about work experience??)
  • Two scholarships for research? (Do they care about scholarships??)

I plan on joining the pre-optometry club in a couple days + will be shadowing a private optometrist a couple times a week soon.

I was wondering what would make me a better candidate? Also, I would like to know how you approached studying for the OAT? How long did you study for? What materials did you use? I want to take the OAT summer 2021 and apply early decision.

Thank you!
 
Hi, with a decent GPA and OAT score, you can get in almost anywhere. You're a great candidate so far! Focus on the OAT next and aim for 300+.

One advice for the OAT: Do lots of practice problems and take some full-length exams.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The only thing I would suggest is shadowing an optometrist!! Pharm is great but a lot of schools want to know why you SPECIFICALLY chose optometry and like to see a few different docs shadowed (primary, peds, contacts, etc.) As for the OAT a lot if it is basic memorization - I worked out of the kaplan book for 2-3 months and did 3-4 sections total each day (more if the sections were short, each from different subjects. Took about 3-4 hours studying each day and at the end of the day and week reviewed all my notes. The practice exams they give you are a lot harder than the actual exam - its mostly memorization so if you did well in your ore-reqs studying should just be a review for you!! Good luck!!! Also there's not an "early decision" for optometry. It's rolling admissions so the cycle opens June 30th and you have until May to apply. I sent in my apps early September (oct-nov is still considered early), heard back for interviews within a few days, and after the interviews its only a few days to a week to hear a decision!
 
The only thing I would suggest is shadowing an optometrist!! Pharm is great but a lot of schools want to know why you SPECIFICALLY chose optometry and like to see a few different docs shadowed (primary, peds, contacts, etc.) As for the OAT a lot if it is basic memorization - I worked out of the kaplan book for 2-3 months and did 3-4 sections total each day (more if the sections were short, each from different subjects. Took about 3-4 hours studying each day and at the end of the day and week reviewed all my notes. The practice exams they give you are a lot harder than the actual exam - its mostly memorization so if you did well in your ore-reqs studying should just be a review for you!! Good luck!!! Also there's not an "early decision" for optometry. It's rolling admissions so the cycle opens June 30th and you have until May to apply. I sent in my apps early September (oct-nov is still considered early), heard back for interviews within a few days, and after the interviews its only a few days to a week to hear a decision!

Thank you so much for your reply. I was able to find an optometrist about a 1.5 months ago to shadow (even through COVID)! I do want to shadow another type of optometrist, so I'll keep looking.