advice for premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
right now, i am applying to med school. i was wondering if you guys have any advice in choosing med schools. . .ie: what to look for, what to avoid.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a medical student, but I think you should begin by researching this yourself. All schools are different in atmosphere, grading, etc, that 10 people couldn't give you the same response. Go to the websites, do research on the city the school is located in or research on what aspect of the school is important to you. For me, it's all about location. For others, it may be cost etc.

Alicia

Post some more info on specific schools and some people on here are bound to have experience with them. Here's what I looked for:
1) In state-cuz I'm poor and money mattered a lot!
2) How happy the students seemed at the interview, but this is pretty subjective. Most med students are happy overall.
3) I guess if you think that you may want a super-ultra competitive residency then reputation matters a bit maybe. I don't really buy this as much as others and I turned down some better named schools for one of my cheaper state schools.

If you are in a position that you can shop for a med school consider yourself very lucky! It's a good position to be in and you'll find someplace that you feel comfortable at.