Advice for Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WindKP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated college with a biology degree in 2015. Wanted to work/travel/relax for a year or two, so I didn't apply to dental school till Summer 2016 with the hopes of matriculating this fall. I have a 3.61 ogpa/3.43 sgpa and started working as a dental assistant since the summer of 2015 so had many shadowing/work hours. I took the DAT in July and didn't do as well as I hoped: I got a 19aa, 18ts with a 20 bio, 19 gc, 15 oc, 20 pat, 23 rc, 18 qr. I obviously knew that the 15 would be very detrimental but figured it was worth it to apply to just the top 3 schools I really want to go to without having to spend $1000s on applying to 15ish schools. I was waitlisted at one, and rejected from the other two so now this summer I'm getting my stuff together to reapply. I'm planning on retaking the DAT in mid-July so I'm just starting my studying up again.

So any tips for the DAT the second time around? I'm re-watching Chad's GC/OC/QR videos this week, retyping Ferali's and Cliff's AP notes, practicing my PAT skills on BC, then doing all the destroyer questions again (last year I only did about 1/2 of them). Also, will reusing my two LORs (A committee letter and a letter from the dentist I work for) be good enough? Or should I ask my boss to rewrite his letter?

I'm super bummed I didn't get in this cycle even though I knew it was a longshot. I'll be just turning 25 now if I matriculate in 2018 and although I know it's really not that old, I'm starting to feel like I'll be the oldest one in my class!

Members don't see this ad.

Check the ADEA school guide or the websites of the schools you want to go to. They will have some insight into your 15oc. If you do apply, stick to state/regional schools.

You will not even be close to the oldest in your class. 25 is fairly close to the average age.

I'd recommend having your people rewrite/update your letters. You don't want anything to potentially hold you back.