Advice for Step 3 and H1B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XavierCharles

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was just hoping for a little bit of advice if anyone could kindly guide me…

I am a British citizen and have applied for Match 2019. My boyfriend is also a British Citizen with a green card and has applied for Match 2019, as such he does not have any Visa requirements.

Firstly, I just wanted to know in order to be able to be granted a H1b visa what would be the latest period by which I would need to have completed Step 3? I have come across information suggesting that the result needs to be available before Match day, is this correct?

What is the best time to discuss with a prospective program with regards to the possibility of obtaining a H1B visa?

We are planning to get married next year :) :) :)

Worst case, if I was only able to get a J1 visa once we got married would there be any method of me needing to avoid returning back to the UK for 2 years as per the J1 visa requirements?

I understand that some of these questions may be beyond the scope of this forum and I am in the process of discussing with an immigration lawyer.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Legally, you just need S3 early enough so that they can get the visa for you.
If programs offer only H1b (which helps them get better applicants), then you really needed it done already because programs may use that as a way to decide whom to invite.
If you're looking at programs that offer J or H, then match day is a good cutoff since they would need to start the H process immediately.
If you get a J, you would need a J waiver job. There are plenty of threads about this. There is also a way to apply for a "hardship waiver" but I don't know of anyone trying to do that (and it seems unlikely in your case).

Legally, you just need S3 early enough so that they can get the visa for you.
If programs offer only H1b (which helps them get better applicants), then you really needed it done already because programs may use that as a way to decide whom to invite.
If you're looking at programs that offer J or H, then match day is a good cutoff since they would need to start the H process immediately.
If you get a J, you would need a J waiver job. There are plenty of threads about this. There is also a way to apply for a "hardship waiver" but I don't know of anyone trying to do that (and it seems unlikely in your case).

Thank you very much, your reply is very useful! I do regret not taking Step 3 sooner but nonetheless I'm going to try and take it asap. Fingers crossed I manage to get a H1b visa :D Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Avoid J1 at all cost if you do not want to return back to the UK after residency. Waivers are an option but they are highly disruptive to your career if you were to be interested in academia.