Colonel Mitchel

The Doctor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
I have a couple of options this summer and I was wondering which one would be best for helping me get into an Optometry school.
One option is to go on a trip to Mexico this summer to help some locals in low-income communities learn how to make inexpensive reading glasses. I might also be able to perform some of the basic exams to figure out what power lenses a person needs. The trip would last about 6 weeks.
I am also considering interning with a couple of Optometrists this summer.
I know for certain I could go on the trip but my internship possibilities are much less certain.
I imagine that my chances for doing both would be very slim.
Any suggestions for what to do?

RSLilly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
In my personal opinion, the trip would certainly help you stand out and make you unique.

But of course, I have to give you the "do whatever you think you will enjoy the most" line.

About the Ads

Colonel Mitchel

The Doctor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
The Mexico trip has been cut down to 2 weeks. I would love to go and find work with an OD.
However, will any OD's want me to work for them for the summer if I am going to be gone for 2 weeks? Any ideas?
Also, any tips on how to get a job with an OD?

xmattODx

15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2003
Status (Visible)
The Mexico trip has been cut down to 2 weeks. I would love to go and find work with an OD.
However, will any OD's want me to work for them for the summer if I am going to be gone for 2 weeks? Any ideas?
Also, any tips on how to get a job with an OD?

Sorry, I can't offer you any suggestions but do you mind sharing the name/website of the organization you are considering going to Mexico with? Thanks.

mtrlOATgal

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2007
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
hi there
wow that is so cool! do share with us! its so interesting- is it with the VOSH in the states?

i would go for the od because that is more certain but if you can go for mexico but if its only 2-4 weeks than its better to do the longer internship with more experience and better letters of reference right?

alright now tell us the organizatin hehehL:)

Colonel Mitchel

The Doctor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
Thanks for you input. I am leaning heavily toward Mexico. The organization is BMM (Baptist Mid-Missions). Their website is bmm.org. A company called Glasses For Missions, Inc. makes a kit for making glasses that is designed for use in third world countries. Their website is glassesformissions.org.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.