Quantcast

Advice for summer plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Colonel Mitchel

The Doctor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I have a couple of options this summer and I was wondering which one would be best for helping me get into an Optometry school.
One option is to go on a trip to Mexico this summer to help some locals in low-income communities learn how to make inexpensive reading glasses. I might also be able to perform some of the basic exams to figure out what power lenses a person needs. The trip would last about 6 weeks.
I am also considering interning with a couple of Optometrists this summer.
I know for certain I could go on the trip but my internship possibilities are much less certain.
I imagine that my chances for doing both would be very slim.
Any suggestions for what to do?

RSLilly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my personal opinion, the trip would certainly help you stand out and make you unique.

But of course, I have to give you the "do whatever you think you will enjoy the most" line.

TexPre-Med

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Colonel Mitchel

The Doctor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Mexico trip has been cut down to 2 weeks. I would love to go and find work with an OD.
However, will any OD's want me to work for them for the summer if I am going to be gone for 2 weeks? Any ideas?
Also, any tips on how to get a job with an OD?

xmattODx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Mexico trip has been cut down to 2 weeks. I would love to go and find work with an OD.
However, will any OD's want me to work for them for the summer if I am going to be gone for 2 weeks? Any ideas?
Also, any tips on how to get a job with an OD?

Sorry, I can't offer you any suggestions but do you mind sharing the name/website of the organization you are considering going to Mexico with? Thanks.

mtrlOATgal

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi there
wow that is so cool! do share with us! its so interesting- is it with the VOSH in the states?

i would go for the od because that is more certain but if you can go for mexico but if its only 2-4 weeks than its better to do the longer internship with more experience and better letters of reference right?

alright now tell us the organizatin hehehL:)

Colonel Mitchel

The Doctor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for you input. I am leaning heavily toward Mexico. The organization is BMM (Baptist Mid-Missions). Their website is bmm.org. A company called Glasses For Missions, Inc. makes a kit for making glasses that is designed for use in third world countries. Their website is glassesformissions.org.