Advice for the best option for pre-med

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

x3rebeccalynnx

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd like to be a DO and I'm headed off to college in the Spring. Unfortunately I'm a little stuck on deciding where to do my undergrad in terms of what will leave me best off for med school. Here are my choices:

University of Bridgeport:
I'd be going for nutrition, which I would love to do and it's the only program nearby.
They gave me a lot of money, I'd only have to pay around $1000 a semester assuming I only take out the $3500/yr in unsubsidized loans they offered me. Way better financial aid than I've gotten from any other school!

MCPHS:
They gave me about $13,000 in merit a year (renewable) as well as an extra $10,000 in need based, but all in work study and loans which I'd rather avoid (especially because my job locally pays more than most work study jobs pay).
I LOVE the school and Boston! I was accepted to the 5-yr PA program but I would probably change my major to bio and keep my premed status, since I don't want to be just a PA anymore.
I wouldn't be able to commute, which I want to do.

WestConn:
Accepted to pre-nursing, which I would probably stick with as long as it would prepare me for med school, since this way if I needed to I could work as a nurse for a year or so before med school to help pay for it.
Didn't receive any financial aid, but it would cost only about $10,000/yr and I could do loans.
Received an application for the Honors program, something they only do if they think you have a good chance of getting in. Graduating with Honors would look good for med schools.

Any advice? For a while I was convinced I would go to UB, since I would literally graduate debt free (if I keep the few nights a week I'm currently working I'll have all the money to pay off the loans when I graduate, and still be able to build that credit) and be able to study nutrition. But MCPHS is such a good school and I'd love to be in Boston, despite the fact that I wouldn't be able to commute. And then the fact that WestConn offered me honors and I could work for a decent salary before med school...ugh.

Any input appreciated!
 
I'd like to be a DO and I'm headed off to college in the Spring. Unfortunately I'm a little stuck on deciding where to do my undergrad in terms of what will leave me best off for med school. Here are my choices:

University of Bridgeport:
I'd be going for nutrition, which I would love to do and it's the only program nearby.
They gave me a lot of money, I'd only have to pay around $1000 a semester assuming I only take out the $3500/yr in unsubsidized loans they offered me. Way better financial aid than I've gotten from any other school!
So effectively you're paying 9,000 a year for this school combined in actual payments and loans?
MCPHS:
They gave me about $13,000 in merit a year (renewable) as well as an extra $10,000 in need based, but all in work study and loans which I'd rather avoid (especially because my job locally pays more than most work study jobs pay).
I LOVE the school and Boston! I was accepted to the 5-yr PA program but I would probably change my major to bio and keep my premed status, since I don't want to be just a PA anymore.
I wouldn't be able to commute, which I want to do.
I know I shouldn't try to persuade you otherwise, but you have to realize that a 5 year BS/PA-C degree program will reduce the amount of time you spend in school from nearly 12 years to 5. After which you have limited mal practice, good job security and a decent amount of of specialization versatility. That may be just because I'm pragmatic, but this is a really good deal, I'd think about it... genuinely...
WestConn:
Accepted to pre-nursing, which I would probably stick with as long as it would prepare me for med school, since this way if I needed to I could work as a nurse for a year or so before med school to help pay for it.
Didn't receive any financial aid, but it would cost only about $10,000/yr and I could do loans.
Received an application for the Honors program, something they only do if they think you have a good chance of getting in. Graduating with Honors would look good for med schools.
Nursing isn't a good major tbh, it's going to be a time sink and will make it difficult to take the prereqs and other upper level biology courses. Furthermore graduating with honors from a university will not impress anyone and will provide you with nothing but distracting busy work from ECs and classes. Do not attend unless the honors program it provides you with a full ride scholarship.
Any advice? For a while I was convinced I would go to UB, since I would literally graduate debt free (if I keep the few nights a week I'm currently working I'll have all the money to pay off the loans when I graduate, and still be able to build that credit) and be able to study nutrition. But MCPHS is such a good school and I'd love to be in Boston, despite the fact that I wouldn't be able to commute. And then the fact that WestConn offered me honors and I could work for a decent salary before med school...ugh.

Any input appreciated!


Pretty much speaking if you're 100% sure about medicine go to UB as it is the cheapest. Otherwise MCPS is the only other realistic choice and in fact given the decent scholarship + 5 year PA program, I'd probably really consider just being a PA-C. WesternConn isn't really impressing me and doing nursing won't really provide you much benefit.

But anyways, this will likely be moved to HSDN.
 
Uh, ug schools don't matter. Go to the cheapest/one you like the best. Get your ECs in and do well on the mcat and you'll be gtg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Uh, ug schools don't matter. Go to the cheapest/one you like the best. Get your ECs in and do well on the mcat and you'll be gtg

This. Study what you love so you can get good grades. Do well in the pre-reqs, ace the MCAT, and you'll be fine for medical school.

Doing PA or Nursing education with the intent of going to medical school is a terrible idea.