Advice for upcoming cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

margs999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I applied last cycle (2017) and got on to one waitlist. I really hoped I had a chance of getting in so I didn't really do much besides continue with my current regimen of work, classes, and volunteering. Unfortunately I didn't end up receiving an acceptance (sad face) and spent the next year getting a phlebotomy license and working as a MA in a nephrologist's office. I have shadowed her outside of work at the hospital several times but other than that I haven't really added to my EC's at all. Not applying until May so still have some time to get some stuff in before applying.

- cGPA and sGPA: 3.01 after some post bacc classes ( I have taken 38 upper div units and have a 3.98 since graduating from UCSB with a BS Chemistry)
- 514 MCAT score
- 70 hours tutoring at a homeless domestic abuse shelter (1 hour a week)
- 100 or so hours shadowing MD/DO
- 200 hours volunteering at a pediatric unit
- 700 hours volunteering in a hospital setting
- Work as a server in a restaurant at night (about 30 hr/week for 4 years, still doing this with the MA job)
- Phlebotomy license (40 hours of clinical training with 100+ sticks)
- Will have worked part time (24 hours/week) as a MA for a year by the time I apply (so about 1100 hours total)

The only difference between my last app and this one is the extra hours volunteering and phlebotomy/MA. Any recommendations on what I could focus on in the upcoming months before applying?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Leadership is always good to have. You’re also lacking in nonclinical voluteering, so get that up.

Apply DO.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Deff apply DO. I suspect some MD schools screened out your app based on the GPA alone and never looked at all the other wonderful things you’ve done.