Advice from a Maryland RPh

Started by kvl1027
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kvl1027

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alright, so I've applied for reciprocity and I'm preparing for the MD MPJE. As I'm reading I see that in HO - sec. 12-503, that any prescription cannot be filled more than 120 days beyond the written date. What are the exceptions to this rule? This seems a little ridiculous to me.

According to the CDS Regulations a C-III or C-IV may be filled for up to 6 months and for no more than 5 refills, which contradicts the previous regulation. Obviously, we would need to default to the more strict of the two, but it seems like it would be difficult to force a patient to get a new script for simvastatin every 4 months. Am I missing something here?

Any help would be appreciated.
 
Alright, so I've applied for reciprocity and I'm preparing for the MD MPJE. As I'm reading I see that in HO - sec. 12-503, that any prescription cannot be filled more than 120 days beyond the written date. What are the exceptions to this rule? This seems a little ridiculous to me.

According to the CDS Regulations a C-III or C-IV may be filled for up to 6 months and for no more than 5 refills, which contradicts the previous regulation. Obviously, we would need to default to the more strict of the two, but it seems like it would be difficult to force a patient to get a new script for simvastatin every 4 months. Am I missing something here?

Any help would be appreciated.
I'm not licensed in MD, but I assume that's referring to the initial fill. NY Medicaid has a similar policy (although theirs is either 30 or 60 days).
 
Maryland HO 12-503: "Unless otherwise instructed by the authorized prescriber who issues the prescription, a pharmacist may not dispense any drug or device on a prescription presented more than 120 days after the date the prescription was issued."

I guess the keyword here is "presented", which means this pertains only to new prescriptions i.e. the first fill.

So if your simvastatin prescription was written on 6/9/2014 and you filled it on 10/8/2014, it's still refillable until 6/9/2015... because the patient presented it within the 120 day window.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So what about of the prescription is on file in the system and the patient wanted to use that prescription after the 4 months? Is the script expired or can you still fill it?
 
I guess the keyword here is "presented", which means this pertains only to new prescriptions i.e. the first fill.

So if your simvastatin prescription was written on 6/9/2014 and you filled it on 10/8/2014, it's still refillable until 6/9/2015... because the patient presented it within the 120 day window.

Thanks for the clarification. That is the assumption I was making, however when it comes to law exams assumptions are never adequate enough to elicit a response.