SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Advice from med students needed

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by AntGod22, Jan 24, 2002.

1. AntGod22

AntGod22 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 9, 2001
    NJ
    Hi my name is anthony and im the vice president of the pre-medical association at NY Tech. I wanted to ask all you med school students for some ideas that i can use with my club. I have already had one lecturer come down from albert einstein medical school talking to us about what we need to do to get to med school. I already had a first aid and cpr class run where we got 23 people certified. I would love any other suggestions. Also if there are any med school students in the area of long island NY and they want to come speak to us about there lives so far that would be great. thanks Anthony

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. med student

med student Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 6, 2001
    New York
    I am at NY Med up in white plains where is your school located. I might be able to go to your school and talk to your club.

4. THE instiGATOR

THE instiGATOR Cow Tipper 7+ Year Member

Sep 27, 2001
    While i'm not a med student yet, I can tell you a couple things our premed AMSA chapter does at UF.

One major event is a gathering of med school representatives and UF premed students. Reps from schools all over the country fly in to talk about their programs. Each rep gets a room, and there are 3 rotations of students through the rooms. The students submit a list of favorites, and they are matched beforehand.

Another event is a forum where UFs premed students show our school to high school students from throughout the state. Community college students are also invited. We work with the med school to coordinate tours and speeches. The event lasts two days.

I'm not in the organization anymore, so I don't know if they're still doing these. They were pretty successful, though.

5. AntGod22

AntGod22 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 9, 2001
    NJ
    Well i appreciate the advice. to the med student at ny med, my club would be able to pay you a lecturer fee for coming down to talk to us. I say I can get the fee approved for 50 dollars. Well have food served such as blimbies 6 foot hereos, and soda and chips. We usually have between 15- 25 people attend are meetings which is pretty much half of the pre med students registered here at ny tech which is good. So if your interested message me back and we can get things going.
    thanks, Anthony

6. CaliMed

CaliMed Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2001
    California
    Hi med student, I have been accepted to NY Medical and I am very excited. I loved the school when I interviewed there. Could you please tell me about the school from a student's viewpoint?
    Thanks

7. bugzee75

bugzee75 Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Midwest
    I would suggest doing MCAT preparation, study tips, mock exams, test prep courses, etc. This will make your application process much easier. Be sure to start early (sophomore year).

Also, try to find out if you and your members really want to go into medicine, what it entails, and what being a doctor is really like. Try to find a doctor who will give you a candid perspective of practice today.

Good luck and enjoy your undergraduate years while you can. :rolleyes: