Advice from pre and pharm students, Can I get in with this grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quimicosoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi how are you pre and pharm students. I have been reading a lot in this website and I think there are very interesting opinions. I would like to hear from those who have been accepted or have any experience with the whole application process. The idea is that you can compare your grades with mines and give me a student perspective point of view.

I am a senior at FIU, and a chemistry major. I do have like 16 credits left to take to graduate. I just took the pcat in january and I am waiting for the scores. Also, I have 62 hours of pharmacy experience, I am a volunteer at a local hospital. I am taking full time load chem classes but not required by any pharm school. Also, I applied only to Florida schools.

Do you think I have a chance of getting into pharmacy school with this grades?

BSC 1005 General Biology = B
ECO 2013 Prin Eco Macro = C
CHM 1045 General Chemistry = B
CHM 1045L General Chemistry Lab = A
MAC 1147 Precalculus Algebra/Trigonomet = A
STA 2023 Statistical Methods I = C
CHM 1046 General Chem = A
CHM 1046L Gen Chemistry Lab = A
MAC 2311 Calculus I = A
MAC 2312 Calculus With Analytic Geometr = A
BSC 1010 General Biology I = B
BSC 1010L Gen Biology Lab = B
CHM 2210 Organc Chem I = B
CHM 2210L Org Chem Lab I = A
PHY 2048 Physics W/Calculus I = B-
PHY 2048L General Phys Lab I = B+
PHY 2049 Physics W/Calc II = C- (need to retake it for chem major)
PHY 2049L General Phys Lab II = B
BSC 1011 General Biology II = A
CHM 2211 Organic Chem II = B-
CHM 2211L Organic Chem Lab II = A
BSC 1011L Gen Biology Lab II = B
CHM 4300 Bio-Organic Chem = B+
CHM 4304 Biol Chemistry I = B
CHM 4304L Biol Chem I Lab = A-
CHM 3120 Intro Analyt Chem = B+
CHM 3120L Intr Analyt Chm Lab = A
SPC 2600 Public Speaking = A
CHM 4220 Adv Org Chem = A
CHM 4930 Senior Seminar = A
ECO 2023 Principles Microeco = A
PCB 3702 Interm Human Physiol = B

Any course recommendation that I should take?
I know I have not taken anatomy + lab,physiology lab, and microbiology + lab.
(In the pcat there was just one question that was directly anatomy relate it, that was a surprise for me)

Thanks a lot for any advice...and for taking the time...
:thumbup::)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi how are you pre and pharm students. I have been reading a lot in this website and I think there are very interesting opinions. I would like to hear from those who have been accepted or have any experience with the whole application process. The idea is that you can compare your grades with mines and give me a student perspective point of view.

I am a senior at FIU, and a chemistry major. I do have like 16 credits left to take to graduate. I just took the pcat in january and I am waiting for the scores. Also, I have 62 hours of pharmacy experience, I am a volunteer at a local hospital. I am taking full time load chem classes but not required by any pharm school. Also, I applied only to Florida schools.

MAC 2311 Calculus I = A

(In the pcat there was just one question that was directly anatomy relate it, that was a surprise for me)

You should ask this question on the Florida pharmacy school threads...use the search function. Otherwise, I would say you have a solid academic record, especially after you retake that one course. With pharmacy experience and a decent PCAT, you should have no problem.

MAC 2311 Calculus I = A

Idk how what ur gpa is. All i can say is the two c's you have and the b- arnt great but not bad. Idk what pharm school u r applying to but if you retake a course pitt pharm will not consider you and i don't know what other pharmacy schools do. if you didn't fail the course you shouldn't retake it but u may need it to get ur major. The pcats are important too so hopefully u do good on them

Members don't see this ad :)
Grades don't look too bad. What is your GPA/PCAT score?

Your grades look almost exactly identical to mine. I applied with a B.S. in chemistry and got interviews at all my schools, and was accepted to at least one so far.

I got a PCAT composite of 98, which I'm sure helped.

Do you have a chance with mostly all As and Bs? Of course. I was expecting some Ds and Fs thrown in there. I have heard that the Florida schools are competitive so you may want to thrown in an out of state school or two as a backup but unless you have a terrible PCAT, you should get interviews. After that, it is up to you to make the sale.

Thanks to everyone for the prompt reply. It is nice to hear that I have a chance to get in. I will keep studying like there is no tomorrow :thumbup:...

My gpa in the pharmcas website is 3.26 overall, is not that great but I know I have classes left and I certainly can boost it up...

I have not received my pcat score, but I have a feeling that I did not do great. The math section literally KILLED ME! :(. I studied too much calculus (integration by parts, implicit differentiation, integration by substitution( the hard ones) ). When I saw the pcat math section. I was like wow.

I did not buy any books at all for pcat. I just reviewed lecture notes for less than a month, I think for the august pcat I will buy a whole bunch of books, and study double. Any recommendation specially in the math section?

I will let you know my pcat scores when I get them.

see ya

I have not received my pcat score, but I have a feeling that I did not do great. The math section literally KILLED ME! :(. I studied too much calculus (integration by parts, implicit differentiation, integration by substitution( the hard ones) ). When I saw the pcat math section. I was like wow.
I wasn't sure if I had done well on the PCAT, and I ended up with a 99th percentile composite and no individual section below the 96th. So don't worry until you actually get your scores! :)

Better grades than I have and I got 3 interviews out of 6 applications so far.

MAC 2311 Calculus I = A

i can't believe you typed all that in!! you've got a gerat record - dont worry bout that C. If you have solid PCATs - you will def get in to a school with those grades. If you can kill it at the interview - you will go to one of your top choices (def start looking at the top ranked schools in the country). Good luck

ur GPA should be fine, i too thought the PCAT math was insane, but somehow i got 70 on that section, and yes I too said WOW.... when i saw the test

btw 2 of the schools that i interviewed at told me had 2 completely different opinions about my 3.18 GPA, one school actually said "your grades are very good", and i almost laughed... the other one said, "your grades are not really good", and i almost died... but i told them my reasons and the interviewer apparently brought it... probably ganna get WL anyway lol

lol JVket04; don't worry I did not type it :D. It would have taken hours!!!. I just copy and paste it from unofficial transcripts. Thanks for your comments.
holymolys that is not a bad math score.
Based on all of your comments it seems like things are going super well...:thumbup:

lol JVket04; don't worry I did not type it :D. It would have taken hours!!!. I just copy and paste it from unofficial transcripts. Thanks for your comments.
holymolys that is not a bad math score.
Based on all of your comments it seems like things are going super well...:thumbup:

hi there,

So did you apply for fall 2010 or applying next year??

I also took PCAT on Jan 2010; I did very well on Math Section but not on Verbal and Bio Section:(...

Good Luck for results next week...

Hey what's up there nextyearrx. Thanks for joining the thread.
The story was kind of weird because I was going to apply to pharmacy school for fall 2011 after I graduate with the chemistry degree. However, I have been talking with this lady in the admissions office at nova, and she told me last year around finals week that means Dec ~17.

Why don't you take the pcat in january and apply to the school, if you get in then good, if not, finish the degree and apply again.

What did I say?

:idea:----------------------------------> k.

So, can you imagine I was getting ready for vacations after a heavy semester, and all of the sudden I have to start thinking about the pcat. I am pretty sure that all of you know about that feeling. Like, oh my, well, umm, let's search the old bio book which is now part of your improvise student table lol.

So, yes let's see what happens. To tell you the truth I am not that optimistic about my pcat score. Is a fast-paced test, not that hard like an advance organic chemistry course or biochem, but one has to be mentally prepared and TRAINED for that pace, just like an athlete. I did not practice that much.

But let's pray lol ---------->:xf:

I'd say you'll be fine. Your grades look better than mine, though our overall GPAs are the same. I scored average on the PCAT and recently got accepted to Pharm school. I would say you'll atleast get an interview or two, though, as diastole suggested, maybe apply to an out of state school as back up. Good luck to you!

Hey!
I saw you are going to FIU and so am I.
I'm a freshman majoring in Bio and premed so far.
I saw your grades and they are impressive now I wanted to ask you some questions like who did you have for Bio 1? How was General Chem?
Because I'm getting ready to take general chem and people are freaking me out.
Do you have any tips or remarks from personal experience ?!
Thanks a lot !

8 years later. We want to hear how was it!

If s/he didn't, then now 8 years later, s/he can reapply and get into almost any pharmacy school. Pharmacy school is no longer competitive, minimum required GPA's are just a formality, and one that individual schools will often overlook. If one has at least a 2.0, they can get into pharmacy school somewhere.