Advice: girlfriend and I both accepted into DO school, but she's accepted to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Communication. Seriously. You and your girlfriend need to talk about this with each other. If that is not an option for some reason, that speaks worlds about the state of your relationship.

My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years and he is finishing a PhD on one side of the country while I am starting a DO on the other. I did not specifically apply to schools near where he is studying, nor is he trying to finish his PhD were I will be... this doesn't mean one or both of us isn't taking the relationship seriously, we just discussed our situations and decided to do what is best for each of us individually and get back together (locaiton-wise) as soon as we can.

Members don't see this ad.

where's the op's sacrifice? That's what's wrong with this argument. If the girlfriend doesn't make the sacrifice, then it's clear she must not love the op. But what sacrifice is the op making? None. Zero. Zilch. She doesn't even have a ring on her finger. Why should she give up her dream for msu and an md so that he won't miss her?

Right, but what you said was that if she loved him, it would be a no-brainer. I'm saying that isn't true. You can love someone and still stand up for what you want, especially when there's no wedding/engagement involved.

It's really sad that you think that. I'll turn it around and say that if the op is truly in love with her and is mature enough to be committed to her, then he won't have a problem with trying a long distance relationship for two years and/or deferring his acceptance so that he can apply to msu for next year.

+1

Not in a relationship myself, but one of the attendings I shadowed was in med school about four hours away from where her husband was in dental school. For her third and fourth year she was able to do clinicals near him. They've been married for 25+ years. I tend to side with if you are headed towards marriage you can handle a few years of being in an LDR. Let her decide, otherwise she is just going to resent you.

Members don't see this ad :)
to be honest he didnt need SDN advice on this to begin with... anyone who is going to make relationship AND professional decisions simultaneously on what they hear on a forum probably needs to be medicated...

That goes for all of the "what should I do" threads. This is different than "how does this work" threads looking for more information whereby the OP can make the decision for him or herself. But it makes no sense to take personal advice from a group online who do not know you personally.

Doesn't want to learn OMT? Sounds like she should be an MD.

I think you're asking us to tell you what is already evident. Her heart is set on MSU. Go from there. Lots of med students survive apart - some don't.