1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Advice/Honest Opinion

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by bhavsar24, Aug 16, 2011.

1. bhavsar24

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys,

I just recently took my DAT, and it was kind of brutal. I'm actually very disappointed with the way it went. Here are my scores

Bio: 20
    G-Chem:18 (ridiculously difficult with the number of calculations I had to actually follow through)
    O-Chem: 19 (I thought I did well...)
    PAT: 21
    Reading Comp: 20
    QR: 16--> I suck at math. Tons of word problems.
    TS:19
    AA:19

I'm going to wait a few days before contemplating a retake, but I think I will just because I know I can do better on my sciences and QR possibly. I have no idea what happened, maybe nerves.

My overall GPA is a 3.49 (<--3.5 would look so much better to me haha!) Goofed around first year, but there is a huge upward trend and science GPA is 3.4. Lots of volunteering, shadowing, extracurricular activities. All apps were received about a month ago pending the DAT score.

I believe I am at or above the average for accepted student? Correct me if I'm wrong. But with these scores, do you guys believe I will have a chance if I do not retake? I think the thing that is making me nervous is that I'm comparing it against SDN members (which I know I shouldn't). I applied to about 24 schools which makes me not want to take it again.

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

2. AlwaysSmiles

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think that you are fine. With the number of schools that you applied to and the fact that your GPA is competetive, I would leave it as it is. I know people on SDN have been killing the DATs with scores of 26-30, but if you look at school averages, you're still in the game. Good luck! :thumbup:

3. nondescriptive

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I agree; the score is average for acceptance so don't fret. You could take it again if you want but the risk is high for retakes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lululime

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Looks good man, you could have just had a bad day when you "clicked" your DAT.

5. dantemac

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would not take again; do not risk the money, stress, and a lower score the second time around. 19AA is nothing to scoff at.

6. NguyenDDS

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Your scores are great and competitive in my opinion! They are better than mine and I gratefully and miraculously received 2 interviews so far. You have a great chance! Do not retake :) Good luck! :)

7. OP
    OP
    bhavsar24

Pre-Dental
    awesome! thanks guys! grateful for the help. Reassurance from other people is always appreciated!