Advice - Late Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pseudosquam

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have developed a very strong interest in medicine as a profession. Unfortunately, it has taken me a lot of shadowing to figure this out - both in medicine and also a competing career interest of mine. I've decided osteopathic medicine.

I would really like to apply this cycle but understand that it is getting very late in the cycle. I have yet to submit or take the MCAT. I have a 3.4 overall and 3.4 science [I think]. My EC's are volunteering in a free clinic for 2 years and working several years as a paramedic and teaching night classes at a community college. I've also presented some case presentations at conferences where CE was granted.

Prereqs semesters:

Bio 1/2: A,B+
Chem 1/2: B+, A
Phys 1/2: B, A
O chem: A, A
Biochem: A
Micro: A
Physiology: A
Major: Biology

My biggest concern is that I have not taken the MCAT. I am planning to take it in one month ~Aug 15th. I have my letters lined up. My understanding is that if I took the MCAT on Aug 15th it would not be released until Sept 15th at the earliest.

Would this be way too late in the application cycle for my application? I am doing okay on my practice tests but honestly my PS needs some work. What MCAT score do you think would put me in the running given my GPA, time of applying, EC's?

Schools planning to apply to: LECOM's (3), Midwesterns (2), and LV Kentucky. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thank you for looking this long post over and offering your advice. GL

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I have developed a very strong interest in medicine as a profession. Unfortunately it has taken me a lot of shadowing to figure this out - both in medicine and also a competing career interest of mine. I've decided medicine.

I would really like to apply this cycle but understand that it is getting very late in the cycle. I have yet to submit or take the MCAT. I have a 3.4 overall and 3.4 science [I think]. My EC's are volunteering in a free clinic for 2 years and working several years as a paramedic and teaching night classes at a community college. I've also presented some case presentations at conferences where CE was granted.

Prereqs semesters:

Bio 1/2: A,B+
Chem 1/2: B+, A
Phys 1/2: B, A
O chem: A, A
Biochem: A
Micro: A
Physiology: A

My biggest concern is that I have not taken the MCAT. I am planning to take it in one month ~Aug 15th. I have my letters lined up. My understanding is that if I took the MCAT on Aug 15th it would not be released until Sept 15th at the earliest.

Would this be way too late in the application cycle for my application? I am doing okay on my practice tests but honestly my PS needs some work. What MCAT score do you think would put me in the running given my GPA, time of applying, EC's?

Schools planning to apply to: LECOM's (3), Midwesterns (2), and LV Kentucky. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thank you for looking this long post over. GL

Your pre-req grades are great.. really great. Why is your sGPA so low?

If you do well on the MCAT (28+) and get everything in ASAP after Sept 15, you can still get in to a DO school. It's not super late, but it's bordering on late. Study hard for the MCAT.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Unfortunately I did not do so great ~6yrs ago while taking some CC courses prior to my EMT program. I received a C in chem100 (some bs non-major chem class) a D in 1 trimester in anatomy & physiology and a C and C in the other trimesters (re-did this class recently but 400lv at uni for an A,A). I'm actually not sure about the 3.4 in science just a pessimistic guess. I have been able to turn things around when I was working on my bio degree - nothing lower than that B in physics 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for the reply.

Unfortunately I did not do so great ~6yrs ago while taking some CC courses prior to my EMT program. I received a C in chem100 (some bs non-major chem class) a D in 1 trimester in anatomy & physiology and a C and C in the other trimesters (re-did this class recently but 400lv at uni for an A,A). I'm actually not sure about the 3.4 in science just a pessimistic guess. I have been able to turn things around when I was working on my bio degree - nothing lower than that B in physics 1.

Judging from what you've posted, I'm pretty sure your GPA is at least a 3.5. Regardless, 3.4 is decent for DO and combined with a solid MCAT score you should be fine.

Agreed. Take some AAMC practice tests (with time limits and everything as on the actual test) and see where you are with the MCAT. If you're getting 26s-28s consistently, I would say see if you can find an August test location/date available and take the test. If it comes out 26 or up, apply broadly and I think you'll get in somewhere.

Also, open up the AACOMAS app and started working on it. Started sending them transcripts and getting LOR's in order, it's hard to believe how long it takes to get your AACOMAS app ready to submit until you actually start.

That move really buried my question. Anyone else have any advice or perspective?

That move really buried my question. Anyone else have any advice or perspective?

You'd be surprised at the amount of traffic this area gets.

You will not end up being super late if you start preparing your application right now. Like, -right- now.

edit: also, if I remember right, you can submit to AACOMAS before your official MCAT scores come in. That will at least get your grades/transcripts verified.