Advice much appreciated.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rapsteady1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's good SDN,

I just need advice to help myself look better as an applicant as I feel that my resume is subpar compared to other applicants. I am a health science major at CSUF graduating this may.

I did not do any of the pre-reqs for med school (other than calculus-which I got a B in calc I and C in calc II) and am currently in the process of applying to several post bacc programs. So far I have been accepted to La Salle and CSUF's post bacc programs, and have an interview in NEOMED in 3 weeks.

Here are my stats so far:

3.38 cGPA
200+ hours research at a medical school (SURE Program)
100+ hours of volunteer/shadow
100+ hours of community service
3 Good LOR (1 from philosophy dept char (bio ethics class), 1 from PI (from research), and Physics (dept chair))
Underrepresented minority

Please any help would most definitely be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

At first I was like :eyebrow:

but then I saw URM.

IDK theres some comparison charts on SDN, but without your MCAT any speculation is useless.

Biggest hurdle will probably be your GPA. Do well in your post-bac courses to bring that up. Also, put a lot of effort into MCAT studying. Take the AAMC practice tests and don't take the real thing until you are consistently getting competitive scores on the practice tests.

Keep up some EC involvement in your post-bac time as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, the AAMC has good tables available that tell you approximately how competitive you will be with a certain MCAT/GPA. IIRC they even break it down into URM-specific data. Things may be a little tougher for you on average though because you are a CA applicant. Good luck!

Also, the AAMC has good tables available that tell you approximately how competitive you will be with a certain MCAT/GPA. IIRC they even break it down into URM-specific data. Things may be a little tougher for you on average though because you are a CA applicant. Good luck!

Thank you guys for the responses.
I'm curious though, why will things be harder for me as a CA applicant?
I don't plan on staying in CA for post-bacc or med school-I'm really looking into the east coast and mid west. (But CA med schools are not ruled out)

Thank you guys for the responses.
I'm curious though, why will things be harder for me as a CA applicant?
I don't plan on staying in CA for post-bacc or med school-I'm really looking into the east coast and mid west. (But CA med schools are not ruled out)

It doesn't matter where you go to school for your post bacc. If you are from CA then you are a CA resident. CA is such a large state and a large percentage tend to have very competitive stats so you will be up against some stiff competition. Schools are not just gonna admit Cali residents, so it just makes things tougher being from CA. Don't let that discourage you though. You are a URM so your gpa is fine. Just make sure you do well on the mcat. Btw I hope u didn't take calc and calc 2 for a B and C thinking they are pre reqs for med school cuz they aren't. Only a handful of schools require calculus and even schools like Harvard do not require it anymore. Good luck in your post bacc and don't give up.