Advice need for next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhmc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
BCP: 2.95
Science: 3.05
Overall: 3.22

DAT: 18/18/18

So its been a couple yrs since i left undergrad.. i took the DAT kinda late and applied this past cycle in late december (to a few private schools to see how i fare). As of now I haven't got any iv's (assuming its over). Had the usual EC's (shadowing/volunteering etc)

My question is, what would be the best approach moving forward in my case. Of course Im planning on retaking the DAT and I landed a research spot.

Would taking a couple summer courses be necessary to improve chances (if any) or is there anything else i should do.

Right now I'm going in assuming ill hit a 20+ on the DAT and research would be added for this cycle. As far GPA is concerned, I'm not sure if I'm ok or what additional i should do

Im a NYS resident but will be applyin practically nationwide 15+ schools

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about applying for the upcoming cycle since your average is too low, especially BCP. Taking a summer class or two won't really make a big difference unless you think you can bump all of your gpa up by .2 to .3 in that short time. And definitely retake DAT.

Not sure. Definitely need to retake DAT, however I'm not sure if it will even help. Your GPA is way too low. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you look into a post-bac program?? I think that will help your GPA. Best of luck!

I would definitely add a few BCP courses over this next year so you can at least have 3.0+'s across the board. < 3.0 GPA's don't look too well.

I was plannin on taking at least 3 courses at stonybrook for their summer session. If I do well in those then my BCP would be a 3.1..n the other gpas rise accordingly.

Session would end July 6th, in which time hopefully a solid DAT, new LORS are in place and submit my application.

but in the interim, id continue taking classes and possibly do an academic update.

Sounds like a plan? Again, Ill be applyin pretty broadly plus state schools

Research helps but its not your 1st priority in thiscase. You should do whatever it takes to raise that GPA. Research takes a lot of time.

1. Call some dental schools and ask to speak with the dean. Go from here.
2. Look into some SMP (special master program). Finish it with 3.5+ GPA.
3. Retake the DAT.
4. Apply in June.

Can I apply for the 2013 cycle while doing the SMP?

Retake the DAT and get scores of at least 20 and above on the AA/TS/PAT sections. Do a post bac or masters program to increase the GPA and then see what happens when you apply broadly.

I agree with Wired. I applied with slightly higher Science/BCP, and a 20AA this cycle, and I received only one interview and a wait list. Following the fall semester (4.0 - 13 credits upper level biology courses) I did my academic update, and I still did not have any success, so I began a masters immediately. So...to be honest, get ready to take at least another 30 credits of upper level biology courses, get all A's, and score at least a 20AA, with no less than a 19 in any section.To be safe, pretend that 3.2 gpa is a cut off in every category (minimum). While this does not pertain to all DS's, most do not give serious consideration to any applicant that falls below these numbers. Remember, getting these things done will require lots of time and hard work, to make it easier on yourself think about how much fun you had in undergrad, it may ease the pain. If you end up scoring a 23+ on the DAT, disregard anything that I just said.

Last edited:
Piggy - 3.5/3.5/3.5/3.5 = decent application for majority, but don't forget, their will always be minorities!

Are you planning on studying for DAT concurrently with 3 summer courses? Getting 20+ usually takes over a month of solid studying with no other distractions, unless you are one of the exceptions.

Can I apply for the 2013 cycle while doing the SMP?

Yes you can but its advised that you finish at least one semester.
You can make another thread on SMP :)

Thanks for the responses

I guess Ill be applying for the SMP. I live in NY so UMDNJ would be best??

but should i bother taking the 2 courses over the summer? I figure itll help bring up the BCP a few pts

as far as DAT, yea from today onward I'll start studying again. Hopefully by May 1st Ill be ready and itd be a done deal. Then Ill focus on the courses n EC's etc