Advice Needed!!! 30 y/o nontrad...questions about recent science coursework!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mednow17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am looking to get feedback about very old pre-reqs (almost 10 years) and recent course work. I am applying to both MD and DO schools for the 2021 cycle, and plan to take the MCAT in the coming may. My future interest is in Primary Care.

Here is a brief background. I graduated from undergrad in 2013 with sGPA of 3.8 and cumulative GPA of 3.7 (Few B’s, 2 W’s, and No C’s). I have always been pre-med but did not have the option to apply for medical school straight away due to residency requirements. So I have had a wild pre-med journey the past few years.

My main question comes down to taking an upper level science course in the Spring2021 semester to show that “my science brain still works” as an advisor kindly put it. However, I would much rather focus my time on studying for the MCAT and completing my MPH (while working ~50 hrs/week) than take a random science course just to show schools that my brain still works. Given the additional info below, would you say having no recent upper level science course will be too damaging? I kindly appreciate any feedback you may have. Thank you!

Research:
~4 years as a Research Assistant (CURRENT full time job)
* One publication in a decent journal
* Good recommendation from PI and 2 of my undergrad professors (I happen to work in my undergrad institution)

Clinical Experience:
-Scribe - 1.5 years
-EMT - 2.5 years
-Hospice Care Volunteer - 2 years (freshman/sophomore year college)
-ER volunteer - 1 year

Volunteer:
-A lot of community engagement
-Clinic translator - 1 year

Graduate School:
-Current MPH student (1 semester left)
-Have taken Biostat, Epidemiology
-Will take Infectious disease Epidemiology
*Current GPA - 4.0

MCAT:
-Pending (May)

-First time attempting

I would be happy to provide more info if it can help in giving me some feedback. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

-Also 30
-All my non-science pre-req's were pre-2012 (including psych, which I took in 2010(?) and only 1 school out of 30+ declined me for being out of date, which, after 11 interview offers, provokes a wry smile)
-Your MPH definitely shows that your "science still works"
-You will have to look into individual schools regarding whether or not your premed pre-reqs (chem 1/2, orgo 1/2, physics 1/2, bio 1/2, any additional ones like biochem, calc, etc., are "expired" or not, but my guess is that most will be more concerned with your GPA and recent activity)
-Your extracurriculars are sufficient/exceptional for an applicant
-No one will care if you take a single science course, nor will you likely get any financial aid (including loans, should you need it) - Read: it's a waste of time/resources - better spent on MCAT prep
-Your interest in primary care is a big +++
-IF YOU DO TAKE MORE COURSEWORK, make sure it's the current coursework required by the specific schools you plan to apply to. You don't get brownie points for "more science" - you get secondaries/interviews for meeting the requirements within the specified timeframe.
-I am not a current med student or doctor so please standby for more formal advice

Good luck!

I'm not am expert, just a resident, but I feel like 2013 is recent enough to get away without more classes. But check with individual schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
-Also 30
-All my non-science pre-req's were pre-2012 (including psych, which I took in 2010(?) and only 1 school out of 30+ declined me for being out of date, which, after 11 interview offers, provokes a wry smile)
-You will have to look into individual schools regarding whether or not your premed pre-reqs (chem 1/2, orgo 1/2, physics 1/2, bio 1/2, any additional ones like biochem, calc, etc., are "expired" or not, but my guess is that most will be more concerned with your GPA and recent activity)
-No one will care if you take a single science course, nor will you likely get any financial aid (including loans, should you need it) - Read: it's a waste of time/resources - better spent on MCAT prep
-IF YOU DO TAKE MORE COURSEWORK, make sure it's the current coursework required by the specific schools you plan to apply to. You don't get brownie points for "more science" - you get secondaries/interviews for meeting the requirements within the specified timeframe.
-I am not a current med student or doctor so please standby for more formal advice

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the feedback!! I'm glad to hear my reasoning for not taking a single science class just to prove a point is not flawed. I will definitely lurk around for more feedback, and I appreciate your input.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not am expert, just a resident, but I feel like 2013 is recent enough to get away without more classes. But check with individual schools.
Will do! Thank you for your input!

-Also 30

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the feedback!! I'm glad to hear my reasoning for not taking a single science class just to prove a point is not flawed. I will definitely lurk around for more feedback, and I appreciate your input.
Also, congratulations on all your interviews, I hope it has gone well.

Could you incorporate a science class into your MPH or find an upper level class that helps with MCAT (ie biochem or physiology)? I was a non trad that applied with my prereqs about 7-9 years old. I did take a science course (at a CC due to time limitations with my FT job), that was pretty much a way to fulfill the science professor letter which was a requirement for some med school applications, but that was a while ago. I don't know what your LOR situation is, but it would be a good idea to consider this before you completely dismiss the idea of an upper level course.

Could you incorporate a science class into your MPH or find an upper level class that helps with MCAT (ie biochem or physiology)? I was a non trad that applied with my prereqs about 7-9 years old. I did take a science course (at a CC due to time limitations with my FT job), that was pretty much a way to fulfill the science professor letter which was a requirement for some med school applications, but that was a while ago. I don't know what your LOR situation is, but it would be a good idea to consider this before you completely dismiss the idea of an upper level course.
That's great advice thank you! That's one option I'm considering. Would it be ok if I PM you?

I’m also a nontraditional applicant and echo what others have said — many schools accept older coursework. However, there are important caveats:
  1. Some schools expressly reject coursework that is over ten or so years old. In my experience, these were a minority of schools — but it’s worth checking, particularly if you have an idea regarding where you might want to apply.
  2. Some schools only accept older coursework if you take a recent science course. In my journey, I haven’t encountered many schools in this category but they do exist.
  3. Through informal conversations with admission folks, I have come to learn that even schools that do not require more recent coursework prefer to see it.
  4. I also have an MPH but did not encounter anyone who said that my MPH coursework satisfied the requirement/interest in having students take recent science coursework.
  5. Some admin folks explained that my MCAT would be closely scrutinized given the fact that my coursework was older.
If you are going to take a science course, I recommend biochemistry, assuming you haven’t already taken it. One admissions rep told me that medical students frequently struggle with biochem material and, as a result, schools prefer (and some require) that students take it before applying. It also helps with the MCAT, which focuses considerable space to biochem topics.

In my case, I took biochemistry, asked the prof to write me a letter, used that letter to demonstrate my continued ability to engage with science material, and focused on scoring well on the MCAT.

It’s possible that I’m wrong on any of these points! Your mileage may vary but I hope this is helpful in some way!

I’m also a nontraditional applicant and echo what others have said — many schools accept older coursework. However, there are important caveats:
  1. Some schools expressly reject coursework that is over ten or so years old. In my experience, these were a minority of schools — but it’s worth checking, particularly if you have an idea regarding where you might want to apply.
  2. Some schools only accept older coursework if you take a recent science course. In my journey, I haven’t encountered many schools in this category but they do exist.
  3. Through informal conversations with admission folks, I have come to learn that even schools that do not require more recent coursework prefer to see it.
  4. I also have an MPH but did not encounter anyone who said that my MPH coursework satisfied the requirement/interest in having students take recent science coursework.
  5. Some admin folks explained that my MCAT would be closely scrutinized given the fact that my coursework was older.
If you are going to take a science course, I recommend biochemistry, assuming you haven’t already taken it. One admissions rep told me that medical students frequently struggle with biochem material and, as a result, schools prefer (and some require) that students take it before applying. It also helps with the MCAT, which focuses considerable space to biochem topics.

In my case, I took biochemistry, asked the prof to write me a letter, used that letter to demonstrate my continued ability to engage with science material, and focused on scoring well on the MCAT.

It’s possible that I’m wrong on any of these points! Your mileage may vary but I hope this is helpful in some way!
This is great info! A lot of what you said actually resembles the advice I got from my undergrad pre-med advisor. I will absolutely consider your feed back. Thank you very much for sharing your experience!